Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently breaking my sram chain I patched it up with a powerlink to get home, as they recommend. My question now is can i just leave two powerlinks on my chain or must i purchase a whole new chain? At what point do i have too many powerlinks on my chain?

-dM

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
ive had at least 4 at times, this was on a DH bike though so shifting may not have been as affected as it would with an xc bike...SRAM chains break to often for me to use them though.....people are generally not aware of the new-generation shimano chains. That's cool though, less demand keeps the price down.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Two is my limit

laxguy86 said:
After recently breaking my sram chain I patched it up with a powerlink to get home, as they recommend. My question now is can i just leave two powerlinks on my chain or must i purchase a whole new chain? At what point do i have too many powerlinks on my chain?

-dM
this being for freewheel changes on the SS.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
laxguy86 said:

-dM
I've used 2 at a time. You have to be careful about wear. The powerlinks have more play in them than a standard link and they appear to wear quicker than a standard link. This will accelerate the wear on your drive train.

One link isn't much of an issue. 2 is OK unless they're very close to one another. The additional play caused by 2 being so close will make matters worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.