Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a few people on the trail with a flat tire or something has come loose/fallen off. worst was a couple trying to ride a tandem through a pretty rocky section and bent their front sprocket. I always have a full tool a pump, and at least 2 tubes in my pack so its not a big deal to take a few minutes to lend a hand.

Everyone ive stopped for seemed so surprised i actually stopped that It started making me think that no one around here helps anyone out. What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tried to help some guys on my first trail run but I had nothing to help them with (still a noob)
The guy needed an Allen key to adjust his new bike and down the road he needed a tube for a tire that just blew. Dude had a bad day but he had a whole group with him and no one had anything to help him with.

·
BrassBalls
4 Posts
Damn, how fast were you going? That's why i wear i full face everywhere lol
The dude that stopped to help was awesome. Blood all over his 4x4 on the way to A&E but in the usual kiwi manner, all I got was: "don't worry about it mate". The best bit was that it happened in front of a funeral home. The standing joke is that one of the guys came out to take measurements while I was out cold. Hence, I strongly believe "what goes round, comes round".

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,352 Posts
I always stop and ask if they need any help. I also carry tools
and a couple of tubes.
x2

once i had a guy ask me to give him my last tube, though after i'd let him use my pump and given him a patch. i had to turn him down. what if i got a flat and had to replace my tube?

(i was on a 'cross bike and my seatbag only has room for one tube)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The stuff I seem to give out the most is energy gels/bars. I always have a few in my bag in flavours I don't like but other people seem to. They are usually given out with event entries.

Tubes and tool use are needed less than the gels. 7 years ago I helped a roadie fix a flat and rode a bit with him. A year after that we bought a new house and he is one of the neighbours!

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Yup, I always ask if they need help, have given tubes out, directions to people who need it, invited lost solo riders to tag along on rides, etc.

The guy needed an Allen key to adjust his new bike and down the road he needed a tube for a tire that just blew. Dude had a bad day but he had a whole group with him and no one had anything to help him with.
It is bad enough that somebody does not take the necessities with them when they ride especially on a new bike. They almost always need occasional adjustments and many times you don't notice it until you are on the trail. However things get forgotten at times. However to be in a group and nobody had a multi tool or a tube. I can't really feel sorry for them. lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
I always stop to ask if i see someone stopped on the side of the trail. I do what I can. 9 times out of 10, the person is just taking a break. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just blasted past someone and found out that they didn't make it out of the woods and I could have helped. I always carry extra food, a few tubes, water, and a pretty decent selection of tools.

Reactions: John Kuhl

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
I ride fairly well prepared to repair anything ( been a mechanic my entire adult life!) And even though I ride tubeless, I still carry tubes. In fact I even carry a schrader tube even though I run Presta. Strong believer in Karma and always try to help anyone!

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I call out "have everything you need?" as i pass anyone on the side of the trail wrenching. Occasionally someone says no or is walking a bike out and it is obvious they do not, but it is rare.

Each and every time i have a flat or technical 80% of the people who pass ask the same.

For all the bad rap Southern California gets about stravatards, most of the riders out here are good people and more than willing to lend a hand. Im actually surprised the people in OP's story are surprised.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
We were on a 40 mile training ride on a rail trail path this past weekend. Unfortunately, a few days prior the margins of the path had been mowed and trimmed and all the thorny vines, stickers and mesquite thorns ended up on the trail surface.
We had 5 flats among our group of 6. We were well prepared with CO2 and tubes, but had to track down a WalMart in the small town at our turn-around point to restock on tubes, just in case.

On the way back, we insisted on fixing a flat for a guy who was walking his bike back to a trailhead at least 5 miles away. He put up a little initial resistance, which we overcame. We knew he would be happier riding than walking.

When passing anyone stopped trailside or roadside, I always ask, Do you have everything you need? and people almost always ask the same of me when I'm stopped with a flat or mechanical.

In our group, the only person with no flat was riding Schwalbe Marathon Plus, a "flatless" wide-ish road/path tire.

Also, a Presta valve tube always works, even when replacing a tube with a Schroeder valve. Just be sure to replace the little screw-on retainer if replacing a Schroeder with a Presta.

G

·
When I rode Harleys there was a pretty high sense of community and folks all seemed interested in helping each other out. Not sure that's as prevelant now as it once was in the Harley community. Cycling seems like a natural fit for the "stop and help" although it seems to me that more experienced cyclists stop more often than less experienced cyclists. Perhaps that's due to some doubt in their ability to help. I've given away lots of patches and tubes over the year and have gotten good use from my chain tool a time or two. Never worry about giving out my last tube or patch, seems you're never far from a house with duct tape and honestly, I've never flatted after helping someone with a repair. I have managed to recover a few loaner tubes from folks over time, but generally don't worry about the $6. Commuting I carry both CO2 and a small pump and have an electric compressor in my vehicle which is surprisingly popular when the occasional cyclists hit the trails for some nacho ride or charity ride.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Every time. Roadie, mtb, bmx, Cat 1 wannabe or riding in cotton jeans. No ifs, ands or butts (especially if they have a nice butt).

And I have a good kharma payback for this topic. There is a local rider notorious for being selfish. Thinks he's god's gift to trail riding,. He's a very average rider with a big ego, claims to be a good racer but DNFs most Cat 2 events and always pukes out on rides longer than 20 miles. Normally that's just life, but his attitude puts off everyone and riders cringe when he miraculously comes out of nowhere to join their group.

He takes off at the beginning and only thinks of himself. I've heard of him leaving riders to wait for others many times and witnessed him ride by two newer mtbers without asking or stopping for help (I was bringing up the rear of newer riders on beginner/learning ride). I stopped to help and asked if "that guy" said or offered anything. Nope.

One ride he slides backwards down a slippery rock slab into a water-filled ravine. How? He passed a slower rider and tried impressing the group by riding this nasty section. Rear wheel slipped, he's clipped in both feet and goes backwards but is stopped for maybe 10 seconds while gravity decides what to do. That slower rider he didn't help walks their bike up to the downed rider and asks "do you need help?" Easily could have grabbed the front wheel to allow said rider time to unclip and crawl off rock slab. Notorious selfish guy shouts a frantic YES to which everyone sees the newbie smile and continue with the hike-a-bike the nasty section while the guy slides and scrapes his bike backwards 15 feet into the creek. Unhurt.

"I'm sure kharma will get me for that" the newbie rider said "but I don't care."

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.