Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never tried a quality set of twist shifters but like the concept, and am considering trying out the Sram MRX comp twist shifters. I have only tried twisters on dept. store bikes so I cannot make a judgement based on these low quality shifters. I read that you can fine tune the front derailleur with twisters, but how is this any different than having a 1-2-3 trigger type setup?
Thanks for the help!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Depends on the twist-shifter but many have the front shifter being friction with just some click noises and numbers drawn on them for where the rings should be. Unless you're needing 9 or 10 speed compatibility in the back, the shimano revo twist shifters are actually pretty damn good. I use them on a great number of bike builds/repairs. They're decently light, cheap, and reliable.

·
xx = xtr²
147 Posts
4 years ago I broke both my thumbshifters and decided to try gripshifters because the seemed less likely to break during a crash and thumbshifters actually hurted my thumbs. I have now gripshifts on my 3 bikes and 2 of my friends bought some after trying mine. I don't have experience with the mrx but I have a set of X.7,X.9 and X.0 ond they are all the same except the grip so mrx should be similar and perform well

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeeEight said:
Depends on the twist-shifter but many have the front shifter being friction with just some click noises and numbers drawn on them for where the rings should be. Unless you're needing 9 or 10 speed compatibility in the back, the shimano revo twist shifters are actually pretty damn good. I use them on a great number of bike builds/repairs. They're decently light, cheap, and reliable.
Which model of revos?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zakarina said:
4 years ago I broke both my thumbshifters and decided to try gripshifters because the seemed less likely to break during a crash and thumbshifters actually hurted my thumbs. I have now gripshifts on my 3 bikes and 2 of my friends bought some after trying mine. I don't have experience with the mrx but I have a set of X.7,X.9 and X.0 ond they are all the same except the grip so mrx should be similar and perform well
My stock drive is an 8 speed so I think I need to stick with a 2:1 ratio shifter. Thats one reason why I wanna check out the MRX's. I was also considering the Shimano Alivio SL-410 trigger shifters, but I want to check out the grip style shifters because I think they will help take away some clutter on my handle bars.
The X.7,9,0 are all 1:1 so I dont think they will work with my current derailleur(Shimano deore)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
The RS43s and 41s come in 8 speed versions. I use them often. They also offer the C-055 level intergrated V-brake levers and 8speed revo shifters. I like those a lot too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'd be inclined to avoid the MRXs and get one of the better Sram twist shifters. IME, the MRXs tend to get broken fairly often, but that may be because they come on cheap-ish bikes bought by people who don't know how to ride properly (and crash a lot).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I beleieve the MRX's are the only ones from sram with a 2:1 ratio, all the x7, x9, and x.o.'s are 1:1 if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sram make 2 lines of twist shifters. The ones with numbers (x7, x9 etc) are the Sram-RD-compatible ones, while the ones with names (Attack & ???) are the Shimano-compatible ones; I have a pair of the latter. These are basically the same as the x7/x9/x0, and the local agents here told me there was no real difference between the two different Shimano models apart from cosmetics. I have these: http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/compatibleshifters/attack/twistshifter.php and they've been excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

The MRX uses a much older design mechanism and they are much more user-hostile to service than more current twist shifters - changing cables is a PITA, and IIRC the grip basically holds the whole thing together. They're also made from more brittle plastic. I speak from experience here as I worked in bike shops for many years and saw plenty of broken cheapo twist shifters. IME, the higher end ones DO NOT break in normal use - or normal crashes either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after my first trail ride with the MRX's I am very pleased. Shifting is effortless, just give it a twist up to shift up, and twist it down to down shift. I did not have any mis-shifts, and I was even hitting jumps. Only time will tell how much they will hold up, but so far so good. For $20 I am very pleased with the purchase.
When these do kick the bucket, I will look into the Attacks, but for now these MRX's will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
satanas said:
The MRX uses a much older design mechanism and they are much more user-hostile to service than more current twist shifters - changing cables is a PITA, and IIRC the grip basically holds the whole thing together. They're also made from more brittle plastic. I speak from experience here as I worked in bike shops for many years and saw plenty of broken cheapo twist shifters. IME, the higher end ones DO NOT break in normal use - or normal crashes either.
True, but it's the only design available for Shimano derailleurs. So, we're stuck with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
CS2 said:
True, but it's the only design available for Shimano derailleurs. So, we're stuck with it.

Not true at all, as what satanas has posted SRAM Attack, Rocket, centaur and MRX twist shifters are all shimano compatible since they have an actuation ratio of 2:1 which shimano RDs use

i myself am using an Attack twist shift with shimano XT RD on my Kestrel mtb

seen alot of those models at ebay

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
I had Shimano twisters on a hardtail I rode for a couple of years. I always liked being able to go through all the gears with a single twist. The setup also looks very clean. Downside: when you damage the handlebar grip, you also sometimes damage the shifter grip along with it. I also like trigger shifters, so I don't plan on going back to twist shifters for now.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Always been a Shimano guy, but recently rode SRAM X9 setup and loved the fast crisp seemingly effortless shifts!

Curious about grip twist shifters.....seems like they'd shift when I'm riding throught the rough stuff though?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
satanas said:
I'd be inclined to avoid the MRXs and get one of the better Sram twist shifters. IME, the MRXs tend to get broken fairly often, but that may be because they come on cheap-ish bikes bought by people who don't know how to ride properly (and crash a lot).
:skep:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
satanas said:
I disagree..
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=629297

1 - 20 of 32 Posts