Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to buy some bike stuff, and wondered about that. Mail order prices with the ability for walk in pickup. You could fondle parts before buying them. They actually had stuff you wanted to buy and were well stocked. Unlike Performance that bought them.

Their sales staff sometimes were bad, but some were decent. The worst thing was the supermarket like checkout. All in all, it was a good business model. Pricepoint won't allow for walk in pickups. Never been to Jenson.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought my first DH bike there! I could never afford a full on DH rig until I went to Supergo...I found an Iron Horse SGS for $1,200.00

After a while I got a Shiver for the front and put an MRP on it too. It was a 54 lb DH monster!

It wasn't the best bike but it got me started for sure! I also got no interest for a year and paid it off way before the year was up. You could actually go to the store and find the things you needed. Performance blows goats.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sure,

It's what people used to b!tch about before we had Beyond Bikes.

That said, I bought my first yeti from them and I still have it albeit it doesn't get ridden in its present state. Great bike for a good price at the time.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Used to drive from Upland to the one in Santa Monica to get bikes, probably bought 2 there(Nishiki Ariel late 80s ? and an earlier one the escapes me), always had good mail order ads before the internet. Then when I moved to SD the North County one was still open bought a Gt Adv 1.0 in 98 right before GT BKd and in 2001 an FSR Enduro comp, as said always well stocked and great bargain bins. The other thing that led to the demise of Supergo, I remember getting a notice on a flyer from the owner saying his wife had gotten cancer and died and he didn't have the passion for it anymore, I think Performance already owned them by then but they wound them down soon after..

·
Registered
26 Posts
They always had some thing at a great price.Performance has bought out way too many good bike shops. But back to Supergo I agree that their sales staff wasn't always the greatest but I could always kill an hour walking around that store. They had a lot of stuff and it was big compared to most bike shops. Their ads could get people to drive 30-40 just to check them out.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Did the mail order thing when I got into MTB while I was back east on TDY.
They died before I got back out here though so I never saw the storefront.

Performance hasn't been totally bad but seems much more focused on roadie stuff overall.

·
Nothing to see here
891 Posts
Bought a Specialized FSR and road bike at Supergo in Santa Monica. Loved the place. Continued shopping at the Oceanside location when I moved to San Diego. Hated to see them succumb to the monster Performance. My first "real" bike shop.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,974 Posts
Supergone

Supergo Santa Monica was just a few blocks from me on the same street (i'm still here they are not sadly) since the takeover i've become an expert in finding the best prices for bike parts on the internet

biggest purchase from Supergo was a custom frame build 04 S-Works Epic paid off in installments, funny i was just out for a spin on it an hour ago & was using a freebie SuperGo water bottle!

..........edit to change pic for a current one............

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I loved supergo- they ALWAYS had killer deals, ALWAYS. I wish they would come back, Performance blows. Pricepoint is great, but I love to browse. Jensonusa's store is better than nothing, but not worth a drive from San Diego; Supergo would be.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know how they managed to get prices so low. Some of the parts were shrink wrapped in plastic with Supergo packaging. I bought Shimano brake levers and a Thomson stem that way, not that I'm complaining.

High volume, low price like big box stores? It was a unique store for sure. No other bike shop would allow you to have easy access to their products. Everywhere else they kept stuff behind the counter, and in some cases, had to special order a size.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Performance is like Wallmarts idea of a bicycle pro shop if that makes any sense, crappy products that come with great customer service and no questions asked warranty's! But yeah another vote for "Supper Go" they were like a candy store with endless options and great deals on the parts you actually need sold by people who actually rode bikes. :thumbsup:

And for the guy from SD hows Bike Bling? and yeah Jenson is a bit far to drive for bike parts.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yup

Timmy said:
Sure,

It's what people used to b!tch about before we had Beyond Bikes....
Not quite the BB level of venom but at least Performance level of hate from the haters. Funny all the warm and fuzzies being posted this time around.

I loved the place, pricepoint and jensons come close but supergo still was the best place for us cheapazz bikers.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts