Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many other big guy racers there are out there. Chime in if you're one of them. What type of racing, what class, how much experience do you have, how do you place, and are you competitive with your leaner competition?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got about that same story. I'm about 6'3", 210 (down from about 260:eekster: at my most pitiful state a few years ago) and just started racing XC in the fall. I'm hooked. I still race Beginner class and finished in the top 1/3 most of the time. I've done some duathlons and an adventure race in the 'off-season' to satisfy my cravings for the racing scene, but haven't finished nearly as well in those (I suck at running). Some of the multisport events (du's, tri's) around here even have Clydesdale classes, which is great for us.

I've been using the whole racing thing as motivation to get and stay fit. It really gives you something to work for. Just going to the gym never worked for me. I love this sport!

·
tallmtnbiker
32 Posts
Train Hard, Race Often

I'm 6'5", but a sub-clyde at around 175-180 pounds. I race sport XC in the 45-49 age group. I get a lot of funny looks at the start line as, on my Ventana El Patron 29er, I stick up above the crowd. But I'm used to that. I finish in the top third most and have been on the podium a few times.

The competition helps motivate me to train hard. The camradarie before, during, and after the race makes it worthwhile. Even in the national championships, Sea Otter, etc., most of the guys are pretty cool, always ask if you are OK after a crash, and realize that we're weekend warriors out for a good time.

If you haven't raced, give it a try. It's a bit scary at times :yikes:, but a blast--particularly after you are done and slapping the back of the guy who just outsprinted you to the line :D.

Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've never raced, but am planning on doing a sprint duathlon at the end of March. 3 mile run, 6.5 on a bike, 1 mile run to the finish. At 6'5" 240, I'm not the swiftest of beasts in either running or cycling, but I am looking forward to the event. Unfortunately there are no Clydesdale or Beginners classes in this race, so I will be in the Masters 30-34 age group.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I rode in my first race this past Aug. I placed 10th out of 20 riders. I plan to race in a few more this coming season. I'm 41 years old and will race in the novice class. The bike I currently use in a Fisher Paragon ( 29" / HT ). If the race season goes well, I may upgrade to a FS / XC frame next year.

·
American Made!
321 Posts
I've been racing for 1 year, started sport clyde in the midwest and did pretty well. I was thinking of moving up and racing my age as a expert hoping for mid pack finishes but I have now moved to socal, racing sport clyde again, and it is a whole new ball game.....no offense but a clyde back home was a "big" guy, here a clyde is a tall guy.
I'm 6ft 230lbs and race on my single speed, I use my geared rig on some of the courses:) , against geared clydes and do pretty well but I can't hang with the tall skinny clydes. I will most likely race sport this summer and regardless of how I do, I am moving up........I am hoping the clydes that won everything here last year have moved up, if not, good times for me:thumbsup: !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have never raced. I had never really had the desire, but there have been more and more races popping up around here that I want to try. I'm planning on getting in shape this year and look into some beginner's races next year.

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
Raced only on the road

I did not do any MTB races (220lbs 5'11"), but I raced on the road twice last year. one was a road race 46 miles, 2300' of climb (I averaged 19.5MPH), I finished in the first third of the pack 13 out of 29 (CAT5), the other one was hill climb time trial 6.5 miles 1800' of climb I finished 52nd out of 67 riders (CAT5), looks like as a clyde I do not do well on hill climbs, gravity works against me. Though I looked good on picture with hairy legs et al.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
hallin222 said:
Just wondering how many other big guy racers there are out there. Chime in if you're one of them. What type of racing, what class, how much experience do you have, how do you place, and are you competitive with your leaner competition?
I race DH.....expert men 35 to 44 (I am 43)
5 years of riding
got 11th (6 seconds from podium)

guys are younger then me but I would have to say yes

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been racing Cross Country for 13 years.
1 year beg.
3/4 year sport
11 years in the Clydesdale class.
Finishing in the top 5
6'4" 215 lbs
It's alot of fun racing against people the same size as you.
It is a very competitive class for large people.

·
Registered
225 Posts
im 5'11" and 220 lbs, ive raced a few times in the past, usually finish in about the middle of the pack, but got spanked in the Downieville classic, so this year im looking at racing more and getting in better shape, hoping to be under 200 lbs in time for the downieville classic this year...

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Endurance race

I thought when I first started riding that races were for those miniature people only and I wouldn't stand a chance with them. I've raced in Alaska a few times now and have found that at 6'2 240 I'm competitive with most of them. I just need to spend time riding. In an endurance race up here (108 miles, 12,000ft elevation gain, 12-15 hr race) I finished 11th of 28, and several of the little people couldn't hack it and quit. It reminded me of the times when I was young, and they called me fat. Sucka's. Seriously though, train, ride, have fun though, and you'll be fine. Just because we're big doesn't mean we have to be slow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
6'0" and raced at 235 last year. I race in PA, in the mid atlantic super series. Check it out at www.masuperseries.com. I race against the skinnies, becasue MASS doesnt have a clydesdale category. I usually finish middle of the pack. You will be surprise how competitive this races are. I am sure I could do better if raced clydesdale, but that is not an option. There are a few races in the series that do have a clydesdale event, but if you choose to race clydesdale, it will not count to your total points toward the series, so I just stick to the skinnies. By the way, if you are 6'5" and 220 pounds, you are NOT a clydesdale, you are just a skinny tall guy, so dont be sandbagging:nono:
Regardless, off road racing is very fun. Most people are very friendly, and they will even give you a hand if you have some problems. I suggest you give it a try.:thumbsup:

·
American Made!
321 Posts
CaballoLoco said:
6'0" and raced at 235 last year. I race in PA, in the mid atlantic super series. Check it out at www.masuperseries.com. I race against the skinnies, becasue MASS doesnt have a clydesdale category. I usually finish middle of the pack. You will be surprise how competitive this races are. I am sure I could do better if raced clydesdale, but that is not an option. There are a few races in the series that do have a clydesdale event, but if you choose to race clydesdale, it will not count to your total points toward the series, so I just stick to the skinnies. By the way, if you are 6'5" and 220 pounds, you are NOT a clydesdale, you are just a skinny tall guy, so dont be sandbagging:nono:
Regardless, off road racing is very fun. Most people are very friendly, and they will even give you a hand if you have some problems. I suggest you give it a try.:thumbsup:
Here Here!!
I am the shortest -6ft- clyde I think racing in Southern California:thumbsup:
Its funny lining up with the others, I feel like the little fat kid on the playground!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I used to race clydesdale XC back in the mid 90s. I have been riding ever since, but haven't raced since 97. I am entering an SS race in March. They don't have a clyde class, so I have to race 35+ (man, this is gonna hurt). Back in my leaner years (215 lbs.) I placed consistently between third and fourth. I'm now 265, and running against the leaner guys on an SS is going to be something totally new.

·
Registered
165 Posts
6'1 205 lbs....I race Clyde at the bigger race venues, but generally end up racing expert because course length is longer and more competition. Also, I really like the 12 hour solo endurance races, road & crits, and cross.

With regards to the supposition that the lighter clydes are sandbaggers is a joke. "Clydes" are 200lbs and up. If you are getting beat by a clyde that is lighter or skinnier than you get over it. One thing that I have learned from that last 7 years of racing is that there will always be somebody faster than you, and body weight is not always the limiting factor. If winning is the objective than enter the beginers class or try your luck at hot dog eating contests.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.