Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was curious how many of you race on a hardtail?

How many on a hard tail 26er?

Hardtail 29er?

I know about controversy of 26er vs 29er and fs vs hard tail etc (all that jazz), and dont' really care to hear who thinks what is faster, but from a actual practical standpoint how many of you train or race on a hard tail?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Depends on the race, full rigid, hard tail, or full suspension. Last year was mostly on HT, although a full springer was really better for some of the races. If you have to choose one, I'd do a HT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Niner Air 9 (29er hardtail) for the '08 and '09 race seasons. Now riding a Santa Cruz Tallboy. The Niner felt faster but my lap times on the Tallboy prove otherwise. My Tallboy is 2lbs heavier too. It's amazing what a little suspension can do for overall speed...(smooth fireroad climbing excluded).

·
Registered
174 Posts
i went from starting with a trek fuel ex (full sus 120mm) to a HT 26er sub 20 pounds. the hardtail is superior for racing no doubt. this will be my first full year on the ht and i can't wait to kick some ass! the races are won and lost on the hills not the DH... but i am fast there as well :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I race on a 26" Ti hardtail, because it is my only mtb. I do love it, but I will be doing some endurance events this year, and I would really prefer a f/s for those. Sadly, the budget hasn't allowed for that yet (I serve two mistresses, and the roadie budget is a *****).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.