Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you only singlespeed?

Is it worth it?

What makes you choose to singlespeed, and not have a geared bike?

Just curious

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only ride a singlespeed.

It is one of the most worthwhile things I've ever done in my fifty years on this planet.

I own bikes with gears, just haven't ridden them in years. I choose to singlespeed for all the standard reasons: simplicity, ease of maintenance, challenge, fitness, noiselessness. But now, I mostly just think of it as my bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As above

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.
I too have a geared MTB but it hasnt been touched all year and only went out once last year. I should sell it really.
My 1x1 is my most fun bike in many years, and before that my converted SS'ers seen more miles in SS guise than when geared I think. It also makes me want to ride :thumbsup:
I even had it out on the weekend with my 13 month old in his new trailer. It must have been quiet as he was asleep after 1/2 an hour ;)
Jamie

·
WNC Native
4,004 Posts
I also only single speed. Agree with what is said above, plus check my sig. :)

·
2,989 Posts
I only ride rigid SS as well. Best decision you will make. when I do get on a HT( I have a Vanilla RLC collecting dust as a piece of floor art) I ride better because I pick my lines like a champ.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I like not thinking and just pedaling. I also enjoy the lack of extra levers and moving bits to keep my bike Simple.

I've got a geared bike but haven't touched it since I built my SS up. I think about selling my geared bicycle regularly.

·
Damn Fool
123 Posts
Just checked the bike computers on my single speed and my geared bike.
SS - 1042 miles this year
Geared bike - 9.8 miles since last fall

A lot of the reason has to do with why I ride. I ride to clear my head and challenge myself. The SS is better for both.

·
balance_fit
323 Posts
Only one bike, my SS.. while at it, I follow Master Yoda's philosophy: "Try not, do" ... so, when other riders look at my SS and say don't try to ride this or that trail due to not having gears or suspension, I just do it. Prove them wrong, because one is enough.

·
big legs, small brains
89 Posts
Was switching back and forth about 3 years ago. Broke 3 derailleurs on 3 rides. Ditched the gears and haven't looked back. Won an 8 hour race this fall on SS. Loving the beer drinking, bad attitude fart smelling lifestyle!
I also shave my legs......:eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just ride SS, needed my geared bike for my girlfriend. now that she has her own, i still haven't set up the geared bike for myself. I've only ridden the geared bike once since having a SS and that was to make sure I installed the new crank set properly and to get it adjusted.

as an aside, i ride mostly flat (rolling hills and technical single track) with little elevation change and never more than a few minutes of sustained climbing. When i get an opportunity to ride something with elevation change I'll be back on gears... maybe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have taken the dark journey this year, to having two SS mtbs (26 and 29). And now my CrossCheck is 2x1, because I don't want to take off the double chainring up front!
Sold my FS AM bike too!!

I just got sick of trying to keep the "perfect" cadence. When you SS you adapt to the terrain, not the bike. (I think that makes sense.)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.