Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am toying around with replacing my MB-2 with a MB-zip of the same size. Sheldon's site says that these were "prone to failure if ridden hard off road." I was wondering how prone to failure and wondered if there was a weight limit.
Gracias

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think they had a "recommended" weight limit of 180lbs. I had one back in '92, and at the time I weighed ~170. Never had a problem, no cracks etc.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
That scared me too.

I wanted one in the worst way back in 1990 but I went between 195-200 lbs. Everything about that bike appealed to me, frame construction, parts spec, Bridgestone philosophy and the price. I ended up going for a Wicked Fat Chance instead with pretty close to the same spec as the Zip but I always had a yen for one.

·
slow
7,681 Posts
Broken ZIP Frame

I worked for 2 different Bridgestone dealers during the first couple of years the ZIP was available. One in Colorado and one in California. I think I saw 3 broken frames during that time. All of them were broken in the same spot, on the down tube just behind the head tube.

My solution was to build up a MB-1/2 by using parts spec'd on the 1990 ZIP (Specialized cold forged cranks, Dia Compe 986 brakes, etc) on my 1990 MB 1 frame. Sweet bike. Almost as light as the ZIP, but stronger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.