Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Me too - cause I still have one.

I ride mine because it's fun. I haven't gotten a 29'er singlespeed (or anything) because I'd have to spend a lot of $$ to get the quality I have in my 26'ers. Also, I'm not convinced it would be more fun. My 26'ers are so playful. I am interested in a 29'er race bike, however, but I want a fat bike first.

·
Struan: Best Toast
6 Posts
I have a Spot, 26", I haven't been on it in a couple years. I currently ride a Big Unit . I have ridden the Spot since 2000. I like both. All I will say definitively is I have to adjust my crank position less when approaching and negotiating rock gardens,etc. on the 29", but it's not a deal breaker.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
I already had kids when 29" wheels came out. I'd rather throw money into a 529 than another new bike. I have 2 SS bikes, (rigid ti & steel hardtail) both 26" wheel, and they ride just fine, as does my 26" wheel geared fully.

JMJ

·
Registered
887 Posts
26" is fun in the twisties. 29" Is also fun in the woods for me. I have a few 26" and a big fat 26"(pug). Bikes are fun. Ride what you have now. If you want, buy a new one in some wheel size. Ride it. Have fun.

I ride the "normal" 26" the most out of the bikes I have at my disposal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've only got a 26er, partly due to it being the unfashionable size and thus the parts are cheaper, and partly due to not buying into the marketing hype for the bigger sizes ;) And I love the fast pick up and flickability, though the traits of the other sizes are just as fun in their own way.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Still ride a 26 rigid every now and then. I look to sell it, but it has pretty "nice" components on it (for the model year), and thinking of what the market value is, it's much better to keep it for a town or loaner bike. Still fun to ride on the road or trails. I'm wanting to go with a Dirt Wiz up front eventually. That would make it a pretty fun bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Only non 26'' bike i ride are my road bikes. I'm 5'8'' and love how much i can maneuver my rigid inbred. I haven't found a 29'' in my price range that can match the feeling of my bike. That and in the woods of our trails i leave most riders behind me that is until we hit the fields then the tall tires and or gears come in to play.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I still ride my Instigator as a single speed. It's the only bike that has not given up on me, and frankly, I just enjoy riding it. 29 wheels are nice to look at, but I guess I'm just stubborn,cheap,don't care,etc. the wheels keep rolling, and I just keep riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I still ride my 26" spot because it's fun and tyres and wheels are un-cool so are cheap

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I own a total of four mountain bikes, two are rigid 29ers one is a single speed the other a 1x10. One rigid 26" singlespeed and a 5" travel full suspension 26"

The two that get the most mileage (and in my opinion the most fun to ride) are the rigid 29er singlespeed and the 5" travel 26" followed by the 29" 1x10 and then the 26" rigid.

The 26" singlespeed has been relegated to neighborhood cruiser status.....Not even in the same league as the 29er singlespeed in terms of speed on the trails that I ride, overall fun and especially smoothness.

In my experience, rigid singlespeed and 29" wheels are a perfect combination. I do really like my 26"full suspension though.......in terms of fun and overall "flickability"

I have no interest in purchasing a 29er full suspension bike, the few that I have ridden were to heavy and numb to be fun.

2012 Civilian Luditte SS 29er
2011 Stumpjumper EVO rigid w/ Niner carbon fork
2008 Giant Trance X2
1996 Trek 7000 rigid singlespeed

·
Registered
532 Posts
I still ride 26 cause it works for me. And my front tire on my 26er is 27,3 diameter (big tire) so pointless for me.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
the only 26er bike i have left is a fat bike. my main bike which is a 69er doesn't count as a 26er either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ride mainly my 29er now. but now and then I break out my 06 Stump Jumper 26er. with the 26er its a little more technical to ride, its certainly easier for me to get the wheels higher off the ground for jumping logs and so forth. The 29er though is easier on my legs and body. especially as I am getting older. But 26er is fun for jumping! I am not getting rid of it. My kids may one day also get to ride it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
first because I need to wear it out before I can justify another bike, second because I'm cheap, third I really have a lot of fun on it leaving anyone on any size wheel in the dust, and last because I think that I'm too short for a 29r. A 650b would be the next choice if I got so far. ..

·
Registered
470 Posts
I mainly ride my rigid 29er, but I had my old 26" with V-brakes hanging around. Crap shoulder that gets sore, so I got a $30 conversion kit and turned it into a singlespeed. Now I have a great softtail bike with a boing fork. I only ride it when it's dry, you forget about how messy muddy disc brakes are, plus the 29er does so much better in the mud. It's a bike and it's still a blast!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
3 mtb, 2 26er, 1 convert to 650b. I pick the ride for the mood and go, not much more to it for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd probably still be on a 26, but I got a super sweet deal on a Voodoo Bokor frame and said "F*** it, let's build it as a 650b". I'm 5'9", 29ers feel awkward to me. Looking at what was available in my price range, 26ers seemed to be going the way of the dodo. No 29s for me. I'd take another 26, but feel at home on the 650b

1 - 20 of 67 Posts