Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
psycho cyclo addict
2,973 Posts
I don't bounce as well as I used to...

I'm fearless when it comes to mileage on MTB, gravel or other rides but tend to hang back and let others hit the more challenging drops and technical trail features. Recovering from injuries takes longer in my 50's than it used to. I'd rather have an error free ride and hit it again multiple times each week than get fat sidelined and waiting to heal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As an older rider I pick my spots carefully but still like to get scared. It's an educated decision based on decades of riding. Do or don't do and don't crash. There is nothing like that adrenalin rush when you send something.

I'm not quite the oldest to send the Chewy line in Sedona this month View attachment 1908863 but probably close at #2.
That looks damn steep viewing it from here at my computer screen--can't imagine how steep it looks from your point of view!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've also never been fearless but I have done lots of risky things in my life. Now, I skip any kind of big drop or jump, I walk many of the rocky sections I used to ride, and I'm a very little bit slower downhill. At 72, I cannot afford another serious injury that would cost me another year of activity.

Last January, I hooked a ski tip on something under the snow on a solo tour in the Lassen Volcanic National Park area. It spun me around and destroyed my right hip. For months, all I could do was to ride slowly at high cadence on the local flats. I couldn't even walk more than a few hundred feet.

After trying non surgical healing and enjoying two months of virus, I finally got my hip replaced in late October. Now, I'm back on the exercise bike and missing riding, hiking, and skiing a huge lot. In a month or so, It'll be back on the bike for local farm roads and back to the trails in a couple more months.

The point of this is that I've missed an entire year of activity due to a risky activity (solo backcountry skiing) and that may represent 10 or 20 percent of my remaining years doing these things! A bad fall with a replaced hip could mean not even walking well again, never mind jumping and hucking. We all love this sport and our other sports too much to risk it all for a four foot drop. I'll be riding again on our local trails cut expect to see me wimp out a lot more than I used to. This year has been an education of the wrong variety!

Keep riding and have fun, but remember, we're not indestructible and the next fall you take could be the end of mountain biking. Old folks break much more easily and heal much slower.

Be safe out there, just not too safe.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
I wouldn't say fearless but I still try things that most folks I ride with won't. Steep rollers especially. I'm a little more cautious with bigger drops but will still do them (up to a point). Never was very good at big gap jumps so probably won't progress into feeling comfortable on those at my age (59) but I'd like to get better at them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Fearless is relative. When I was younger my work colleagues thought I was crazy and fearless, while the bunch of guys I hung out with on weekends thought I was a total chickenshit (and compared to them I was). Now I'm a total chickenshit compared to the guy I was in my 30s - and my retired former colleagues probably still think I'm crazy and fearless. It's a wide spectrum.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
If fearlessness is a measure of stupidity, on a scale of one to ten, I’m a seven or an eight, though on the rare occasion I’ll push it to a nine but that doesn’t always go well.

I am the stoopidest rider I know 🙄

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,718 Posts
I'm fearless when it comes to mileage on MTB, gravel or other rides but tend to hang back and let others hit the more challenging drops and technical trail features.
This. I'll roll off solo into the hills with only a vague notion of where I'm going, to remote places often without cell coverage. I know others would think that's "fearless", and I wouldn't argue with those who say it's "stupid", but it's a style of riding I remain comfortable with headed into my 7th decade - I don't outride my water, I'm a pretty good trailside mechanic and have jury-rigged my way out of more than one major breakdown, and I can (and have) walked an awful damn long way when I couldn't solve the problem. But huck even a small gap jump? Never!

Reactions: Colo Springs E

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for all the replies guys--sounds like we're all over the place, that's great!

I guess when I get down to it.... I'm more of a "trail rider" at this stage in my life. I do still like to navigate some technical stuff, but for the most part, just single track trails with a few obstacles and small drops here and there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 58 and have been riding a looong time. I ride mostly with guys in their 30's and early 40's who aren't all that adventurous. I still like to blast technical stuff (and still can). But the funnest and scariest thing has been riding with my 12 yr-old that likes to do jumps and drops.
It's been so much fun to watch him grow and honestly, see him go off stuff that scares the crap out of me. So, I've been watching lots of how-to YouTube vids and going off things a little more cautiously (which isn't always better) and schooling him on the single-track.
Right now with the COVID situation I'm trying to stay out of the ER. I think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I broke my clavicle (again) a month after turning 64. I have not been back on pavement since. I had given up road bikes a few years ago, but still had an urban commuter that bucked me off. When I got back on my mountain bike with the 2.3" tires it seemed really sketchy. So I got out my 4" tire beach bike single speed and rode most of the summer that way. Once I got used to riding again I went back to the mountain bike in the fall and am fine with it, but want to go to a 3" tire setup. I am fearless on my snow bike with 4.6" tires. But it is easy to be fearless when you can barely get up over 7 mph.

·
No known cure
4,063 Posts
I wouldnt say I'm fearless but I do have to remind myself I'm 50 now and not in my 20s racing DH. I still can ride any terrain but dont catch air. My biggest dumb thing is riding solo in remote areas.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldnt say I'm fearless but I do have to remind myself I'm 50 now and not in my 20s racing DH. I still can ride any terrain but dont catch air. My biggest dumb thing is riding solo in remote areas.
I've preferred solo rides in very remote areas forever. I lived in Alaska and did some risky things in my thirties. I am 65 now and still do solo remote rides, but I have a Garmin rescue beacon. I would have to screw up badly and the goal is to never get in a situation where I would need it. The embarrassment of being rescued is deterrent enough, let alone cost, although I buy helicopter insurance too. I can text from anywhere on the planet. Its only $26 a month for the subscription. Don't fear the solo!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did an endo the other day, descending a short, steep sandy wash out leading down to a beach, couldn't have been more than 5' drop in 20 ft.

There was a root in the upper part of the wash out, figured it was small enough to just smash down and keep going. I was over the bars and on my back in an instant and didn't know WTF happened. After I was up and moving, feeling a little in shock because of a left shoulder injury, more rotator cuff issues it appears but at least no broken bones or a neck.

It will be a few weeks or so to get back to being able to work without pain, not much strength in my arm right now. Not the first time at all, usually it has been KTM dirt bikes.

At 71 though, the healing is bound to be a way off. I still work my own business, but still have to produce. Starting to rethink my choice of recreational activities though. I love off road biking but I will be wary now, maybe overly cautious and that is how you get hurt, ah the choices we have to make in life!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I rode BMX as a kid taking all sort of risks, ripping down stairs or off ledges etc. Took a break during the college days and rode MTB a couple times a year on some green trails (didn't know the there was an elaborate trail system near my home). Got back into MTB about 5yrs ago and I feel like I'm back in my BMX days.

Yeah, there is definitely more fear that keeps me from hitting some features right away but it doesn't stop me from hitting them eventually when I think I'm ready for it... then I look for the next big feature I need to hit. Slower progress but I think I'm taking more calculated risks. At my age, I know better when not to hit some drops etc when I'm not feeling it that day compared to my youth when I would hit them regardless and end up crashing badly.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I just realised I'm fearless.

No fear of scorn. I don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks if I jump off and walk a section.

That's probably why I'm still riding at this age.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I just realised I'm fearless.

No fear of scorn. I don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks if I jump off and walk a section.

That's probably why I'm still riding at this age.
haha I hear ya. I will confess.... it does bug me now when I walk a steep downhill with some sort of major drop that 10 years ago I would've done over and over. Ah well, such is life.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I’m not fearless and proud! 58 yo and riding as fast and hard as I can, always.

About 98% of my riding, I’m on the trails rsd. If you see me airborne, twisting and whipping, that just means a really bad crash is about to happen.

IMO, there’s no shame getting off the bike to clear something above your skill set.

What I’m most afraid of is being injured and dependent on others. Not fair to them and selfish on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
It's all relative I guess. Some may think (well, most of my non-biking friends) I'm nuts for riding or racing on certain trails or routes.

My harder-core biking friends may consider me a lightweight on some of those same trails or routes.

I try to keep it within my limit, but still can hammer on fairly sketch stuff or steep road descents.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's all relative I guess. Some may think (well, most of my non-biking friends) I'm nuts for riding or racing on certain trails or routes.

My harder-core biking friends may consider me a lightweight on some of those same trails or routes.

I try to keep it within my limit, but still can hammer on fairly sketch stuff or steep road descents.
im pretty similar , show photos going off waist high drop offs to non mtb friends and family , and they think a near 60 year old doing that is crazy :)

but out on the trails im very tame compared to other guys my age , im very safe and conservative to be honest

21 - 40 of 59 Posts