Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ticket for "running a red light" on my way to work at 7:30 am last week by a cop on a motorcycle. He wrote my a summons to court...Fort Collins, Mason Ave. I stopped at Mulberry/Mason, no traffic, all clear, pedlaed through and was promptly pulled over and made late for work. Your thoughts..

·
Registered
52 Posts
At a meeting last year between local Deer Creek Canyon residents and cyclists the major objection that the residents had was that cyclists expect to get the same rights on the road and not have to obey the same laws. It's a pretty fair complaint if you ask me. So (IMHO) we should be ticketed for red lights / stop sign violations just like anyone driving a car / motorcycle would be expected to. I won't go into the technicalities of carrying ID etc ... behind enforcement, but if we expect cops to enforce things like the 3 ft passing rule we need to play by the rules ourselves.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What did you expect? A ticket is inevitable if you flaunt the rules/laws you are supposed to obey. IMHO, running a red light is a bit over-the-top compared to coasting through a stop sign for a right turn. Where's there's a cop and a cyclist in the same place, there's frequently an opportunity for a ticket if the cop is paying attention.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies....

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Last years MS 150 had tons of cyclists with the 'holier than thou' attitude and ran many stop lights. One guy almost got it & Got a ticket. He'd been warned before. With more people commuting on bikes, I think we can see this becoming more common.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I hardly ever adhere to the rules of the road, rolling stop signs and jumping red lights, but I do so knowing that if I get caught it's a fair ticket. My red light routine is, no cops, all clear, safe to cross, go!
The last time I got stopped was for riding a section of road on which cyclists are banned, no ticket and the cop almost admitted it was a crazy neighbourhood bylaw, but if he hadn't of stopped me he knew that one of the good citizens of the area would have complained about his lack of action.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
I'm in the middle for following the rules. For me I have the mind set "Everyone in a car is going to ignore you and crash into you". So if that warrants stopping at signs and lights, I do, if it warrants cutting through a parking lot and through some grass, so be it.

I try and incorporate bike paths as often as possible, especially on my way to work. I don't feel like being hit by someone who doesn't feel like going to work, would rather be sleeping, doesn't look for bikes on a good day, and who hasn't had their coffee yet;)

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
I'd like to use MTBR's favorite words and say that I always obey all traffic laws, but the truth is that there are a few intersections that I drift through or treat the red light like a stop sign. However, there's about a dozen and a half more on my commute that I will not cheat, regardless. If I get a ticket for the ones I do pull illegal moves on, I earned it.

Batty did a pretty good job of stating my thoughts on the matter.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
When on my bike on the road, I apply the same logic I use when I drive: I get away with what I can safely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why do people break the law and then complain when they get caught? It wasn't the cops fault you were late, had you waited 30 sec. for the light to change you would have been fine. I'm not the biggest supporter of the "law", but after nearly hitting a cyclist who ran a light at Hwy 119 and 63rd. st. a couple of years ago I think I'll side with the cop. The only reason that guy is alive is because I took the ditch. Not obeying the "rules of the road" is why people are anti-bike, and for good reason.

My .02

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
Last years MS 150 had tons of cyclists with the 'holier than thou' attitude and ran many stop lights. One guy almost got it & Got a ticket. He'd been warned before. With more people commuting on bikes, I think we can see this becoming more common.
This year (I don't remember this from years past), I noticed lots of cops and volunteers waving cyclists thru red lights. It's a little tough at that point to know what will and won't get you a ticket...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stopped for @ 2 minutes, waited, looked, and went. I actually thought that was okay. I saw the cop, nothing to do with "holier than thou..bla, blah.."

·
Registered
328 Posts
nca777 said:
I stopped for @ 2 minutes, waited, looked, and went. I actually thought that was okay. I saw the cop, nothing to do with "holier than thou..bla, blah.."
Why would you think it was okay???? I don't care if you could see the horizons of the earth. Why would you blatantly run a red light when there is a cop present???:madman:

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
trail_junkie said:
Why do people break the law and then complain when they get caught? It wasn't the cops fault you were late, had you waited 30 sec. for the light to change you would have been fine. I'm not the biggest supporter of the "law", but after nearly hitting a cyclist who ran a light at Hwy 119 and 63rd. st. a couple of years ago I think I'll side with the cop. The only reason that guy is alive is because I took the ditch. Not obeying the "rules of the road" is why people are anti-bike, and for good reason.

My .02
I agree with keeping yourself safe, but blindly following the rules of the road just for the sake of being a good cyclist makes no sense to me. I think it's more dangerous to think that cars are always going to treat you as a fellow motorist. I know I've said this before, but rules of the road were written with cars in mind, not bikes.

·
slow
7,796 Posts
There have been numerous letters to the editor in the local paper about cyclists not obeying the road and about too many concessions made to, and too much money being spent on cyclists. I am constantly disturbed at the number of cyclists riding down the wrong side of the road, riding in dismount area, and blowing stop signs and signals, thereby raising the ire of the anti-cycling community.

That being said, there is a signal near my house that is on a car sensor and my bike doesn't trip it. The pedestrian button is in a dirt area strewn with debris, so not easy to actuate the signal. If there is no car traffic to trip the light, I'll wait until it is safe to cross and go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
dbabuser said:
I agree with keeping yourself safe, but blindly following the rules of the road just for the sake of being a good cyclist makes no sense to me. I think it's more dangerous to think that cars are always going to treat you as a fellow motorist. I know I've said this before, but rules of the road were written with cars in mind, not bikes.
Nowhere did I state that you should do it just to be a good cyclist. I'm confused though, how does breaking traffic laws make you safer? Does running through that light because you're too lazy or in too much of a hurry to stop make you safer? How about cutting between cars in parking lots because you can? I don't think that's against the law but its stupid. How about changing lanes or making a turn without giving some indication? Here's one I'm sure will get flamed, riding on the sidewalk when it's posted not to. Maybe it's safer for you but not for pedestrians. It's not so different from driving, people break laws all of the time, and as a result get fined or injure their selves or someone else. If you pick and choose and that's how you prefer to ride good for you, just don't be mad when there are consequences. I'm sure when that happens though it will be the cops fault or the motorist who hit you and we'll get to read about the injustice of it here. I'm sorry I just don't agree that breaking the law will increase your safety, but I'm open to taking any examples you have into account.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Can you get a ticket if you walk your bike through a red light?

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
I'd expect maybe a jaywalking ticket? Although cops don't hand those out, do they?
Yeah I suppose it could be jaywalking, but if you waited too long, would it be loitering?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.