Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a hair under 6'3" and range from 190 to 200 depending on how far into riding season it is. "Everyone" suggests that I should be on a 29er, which I have been for three years. For better or worse, whenever "everyone" says to do something, I like to consider alternatives. Right now I'm looking at all of the heavily discounted XL trek fuel 26ers, and maybe some on the new 650s.

Are any if you taller folk who came from 29ers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
no but I can see how a 650b might be good for a heave duty trail bike for 6'0".....for 6'3" I think 29er would be the way to go

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
Im the same height & weight as you. I have a FS 29er for rough stuff and a hardtail 650B for fast & twisty

·
Registered
168 Posts
I at this point tend to think people over 6 foot do better on a 29r. I personally am only 5'9 and am totally comfortable on a 27.5. Maybe just me tho.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
6'1 have ridden all 3 wheel sizes, I like them all but depending on the riding you do, I feel each wheel has it's strength

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
While shorter riders may struggle to fit onto a big wheeled frame, tall riders have the advantage that they can ride any of the popular wheel sizes. 29ers may *look* more proportional, but that doesn't necessarily make them fit better.

I've tried 650B, and it might be the ticket if I was buying a new full suspension bike. But right now, my garage is a mix of 29ers and 26ers: 29ers because they roll so well, 26ers because they are going for bargain basement prices now while the herd chases after the magic middle. I didn't feel enough of a difference between 26 and 27.5 to make it worth "upgrading."

·
Registered
646 Posts
6'2" on a 29" HT & big FS (enduro).

Tried 650, made no noticeable difference to a really good 26" (SB66 - shame they can't build them as well as they ride). Sure if I was buying new now in that area it would be 650, but only because it's the default now - it's getting hard to buy a 26" AM bike these days.

The only 650 bikes that appeal right now would be the Norco Sight carbon, or the new Nomad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 190cm with 196cm reach and really don't get the logic behind "29ers for tall folk". It is the frame size that determines whether it will fit you, not the wheel size. Granted, 29ers don't work for shorter riders, but that's because the wheel size adversely affects the ability to build a frame to fit said riders. This problem does not apply when going the other way for taller riders - just make the frame bigger! I have ridden bikes in all three size that have all fitted me well, but i have found 29ers awkward and clumsy. I'm still on a 26er for XC/trail duties as I've never found a 29er (and I've demoed plenty) that can come close in terms of fun and ride satisfaction. I've recently tried a few 27.5 bikes and am taken by the size as I definitely noticed the additional grip of the larger contact patch and the improved rolling momentum on fast, less technical trail; but at the same time the 27.5 bikes I've tried have not given up too much of the fun / pop / flickability / ride satisfaction that I have found gets diluted and dumbed-down with 29ers.

Taller riders have the advantage of being able to "be at one" with any sized wheel as the wheel size never restricts frame size or geometry. This does not apply in the case of shorter riders. What you really should be thinking is "what do I want out of my riding experience and which wheel size would best suit those needs". I'm a reasonable tall guy and for me, that size is still 26er though will likely be 27.5 in future. I can never see myself on a 29er because, for me and what I want from my riding, the benefits it provides are far outweighed by the negatives.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I went with the 650B. when I was looking for bikes I tried a few 29ers, but for some reason I just didn't like them...felt clumsy riding around. I ended up buying a 26er and converting it to 650B. So far so good. I feel like I can control it a lot better, and get over everything I've needed to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ride 29er on xc trails, more open or with a lot of climbing. In tight twisty forests with roots and up/downs I ride 650b.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts