Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people live north of Santa Fe that post here?

I know alot of people(tourists mostly) come up here and ride the SBT in the summer. But locals are spread so far out that it's rare to meet them.

If there are enough people interested I could get a group of us into the Dulce area, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly(Tsegi)or Tuba City(Tó Naneesdizí). I have ridden all these places and they offer a unique view on New Mexico/Arizona you might have never seen. There a quite a few ancient foot paths that connect the old ruins that make nice singletrack.

We could ride the Sun Dagger at Chaco on the solstice. For example.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
apacherider said:
How many people live north of Santa Fe that post here?

I know alot of people(tourists mostly) come up here and ride the SBT in the summer. But locals are spread so far out that it's rare to meet them.

If there are enough people interested I could get a group of us into the Dulce area, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly(Tsegi)or Tuba City(Tó Naneesdizí). I have ridden all these places and they offer a unique view on New Mexico/Arizona you might have never seen. There a quite a few ancient foot paths that connect the old ruins that make nice singletrack.

We could ride the Sun Dagger at Chaco on the solstice. For example.
I would be interested in a change of venue. Monica and I have been talking about checking out Chaco Canyon, but I assure you that I would much rather ride than hike. Do these footpaths connect such that one can view the Anasazi Ruins, cliff dwellings, etc...? When and how would you gain access?

Thanks!

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Nice!!!

That's an offer that sounds too good to pass on. I'd most definatley be interested in checking out some of that area. Just need a couple weeks advance notice to work out scheduling with work/family. Thanks Apacherider :thumbsup:

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Count me as interested. Like others, the more advance notice to clear my calendar, the better. Thanks!
- Joe

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Another interested party here.

Nail a date down and let's do it! Saturday's are always better than Sundays, for me. Perhaps you could coordinate it around the race schedule at nmcycling.org, for the best turnout.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:
When and how would you gain access?
I'm Jicarilla Apache. I speak fluent Navajo too, getting access is not an issue.

Timeline wise this would be late spring or summer if you guys wanted to go, maybe a max of 15 people. That way we could explore some of the more remote areas. There are a few Anasazi ruins that are very far off any road, hard to get to on horseback, almost too far to walk on foot, but perfect for mountain biking distance wise.

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
apacherider said:
I'm Jicarilla Apache. I speak fluent Navajo too, getting access is not an issue.

Timeline wise this would be late spring or summer if you guys wanted to go, maybe a max of 15 people. That way we could explore some of the more remote areas. There are a few Anasazi ruins that are very far off any road, hard to get to on horseback, almost too far to walk on foot, but perfect for mountain biking distance wise.
Beyond interested Apacherider. I'll get the time off and drop the kid at the grandparents for a few days should this ride take flight. Sign me up!

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
apacherider said:
Sounds like an awesome deal, Apacherider. If you really want to restrict it to 15 riders, you might want to set some boundries. We're liable to exceed that, with what appears to be quite an Epic ride. :)

·
GeoMan
1,706 Posts
Wow, can you tell we have so much cabin fever up here in Santa Fe that we'll do almost anything to ride?

Argh! This is turning out to be a heck of a winter. Can hardly drive there's so much ice on the roads...

This looks like a sweet opportunity!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Wow!

Sounds fantastic. I'd be honored and humbled to be able to ride any of the terrain you've mentioned, as I suspect most of it is off limits to us loco gringos and others, typically. See what you can do, and what you'd be comfortable with - and as noted by others, this Santa Fean would do his damndest to make it - expecially given that there'd be a few Fanta Se'ans heading up!

We'll just avoid any discussion of doping/Landis/Leadville/Orientation etc...

apacherider said:
Will this be the DOPER 100? Landis and Sager are both CURRENTLY BANNED FOR DOPING. They are both losers who have lost any and all respect I once had for them.

The Leadville 100 used to be very cool, now it's turning into a queer fest...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
can an ex-new mexican join in on the fun? I would love to see and ride these area's.

(I only have my avitar and signature for proof of my feelings twards NM. the picture is from SBT when I was a resident and the sig speeks for itself)

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
i'm in .saturday's a good day for me as well.thanks for the invite apacherider.happy trails.
Ramon.:thumbsup:

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
definitely...

some of us ex-New Mexicans will definitely be interested in joining in. and if the party fills up, I can always replace Glenzx if he has trouble just getting along :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I echo the sentiment of the other posts. What you are proposing is something like a dream come true for us. A way to combine our interest in archeology of the ancient Southwest and mountain biking. Wow! I am definitely in.

Like you can see, there are quite a few of us out here. BTW, I also live in Santa Fe. I hope you do not get discouraged by too much interest!

Thanks,
Lars

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
I'm interested!

I: a) live north of Santa Fe, b) used to live in the 'burque, and c) will happily put "Save Otero" in my sig.

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome adventure.

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.