Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a wimp ass in the mind of some here, okay probably many but I thought for the first year riding, my longest ride over the summer was 22.3 miles. I crashed when I got home but it was an awesome ride. I rode with a couple of friends who after 12 miles called it quits, family plans. As I started to take off the gear I realized I had to go back in. I ran in to a Dad and his son and logged in another 10.3 miles. When I started riding in March 06, 5 miles was an effort. Longest ride?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Good advice about not trying to make every ride a race, make a good day of it at a maintainable pace with some nice view (or whatever) breaks and you'd be surprised how long you can go. I've done a few 60 and 70 mile mtb rides, but that's just a bit too long a day in the saddle depending on how much climbing is involved. Most of my epic rides now tend to be in the 40 mile range with 4-6000 feet of climbing, I do remember when I was new to the sport and really getting into it, if we went for a short group ride I would try and get another group to go out for a second one or do it myself. I prefer one good long one these days, with company preferably but if no one's around no big deal. On my road bike I did a 120 mile day with 10,000 feet of climbing, while it was nice to accomplish I've never felt like doing it again!

·
Registered
587 Posts
not far enough

Given the time I generally will do 18 - 25 mi with 2500' of climbing in a ride. Took me 2 years from when I started mountain biking before I could do that. My longest is only about 40 and that was due to getting lost. Never really tried to ride further. Obviously, the more technical the trail the looooonger the ride will seem. I am planning on doing a 50 mi route near my house just to baseline my conditioning. Then go back and do it every month to see how I'm improving.

Bob

·
If you have to ask...
720 Posts
I've done a number of 100+ mile rides on my mountain bike. It's mostly a matter of pacing, once you are up to a reasonable fitness level.

miles

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I ride 26km / 17 miles a day just to commute to and from work and a goodly portion of that takes me through some beautiful MUTS and singletrack... my ride home is often a longer ride as the trail and singletrack portion happens after work right now.

When the weather is nicer I'll probably off road as much as I can when I am on my way to work but in the am I am more concerned with time so stick to clearer and faser routes.

My 2007 goal is to ride a minimum of 30 km / 18 miles a day so I can log a total of 10,000 km so my new commute is ideal to make sure I stick to the riding schedule.

My biggest rides have always been on the road and I have completed many a century ride although we have also had weekends where we've covered 80 - 90km / 50 - 57 miles on the trails and singletrack in a day.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
So far my longest ride has been 18 miles. I always still feel really strong after that type of ride, so I'd like to ride further, but I'm trying to make sure I can do 18 miles/ride each weekend. Trying to build myself up so I can ride with guys like wherewolf (when invited) during the summer.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
About 70 miles, many many years ago.... I think we could have gone farther, as we still had some energy left, and it was mostly downhill for about 18 of the remaining 30 miles to get home, but the light was going fast, and so was our resolve. Had to have someone pick us up and haul our sorry asses home! Did another ride once the approximate same distance - but that was an accident due to getting lost in the mountains. Probably did about 8 - 9000 feet of climbing, and about half of it was climb - ooops, wrong way. Back down... I'd like to be in that shape again!

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
longest: 52 i've done one straight up 50 miler. a handful in the 40's, plenty in the 20's and 30's, and more than i can count in the less than 20 range.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Longest ride

Being a 275lb clyde, when I first started 5 miles was truly an effort:prft: . But that was about 160 lbs ago and 5-6 years. Our local ride is a 17 mile loop. Last year I got to the trail on a Sunday about 10:00am and did 1 1/2 loops (25 miles) Took me a while. All day. But my son, who rode it with me told me, "Hey, you may be fat and over forty, but you are out here, every weekend without fail":smallviolin: . Made me feel good. I would like to be able to go 2 complete loops (34miles) but I think I have to lose more weight to be able to do it.:band:

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,503 Posts
77, pretty much all singletrack...(Telluride-Durango).

Crazy tired. Wait, I forgot, White rim, one day, (102 miles) but I don't count white rim as singletrack, it is really a bumpy road ride. We drank a beer every 10 miles, courtesy of a moto support group. Good times. Ever drink a twelve pack in a day without ever getting a buzz?

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
Sixty seven miles.... with 12,000 feet of climbing. 95% singletrack. Here's a link to the report. That was one tough, ten hour ride, but there are many on this board that have done much more.

Someday I want to do a 100 miler on singletrack but I can't imagine doing a 24 hour solo. Now those guys/gals put on some miles.

·
Registered
686 Posts
106 miles are the most I've done, that involved riding to every trail in the Memphis area and making a lap of the trail. We ended up with 66 miles of trail and 40 miles of dirt roads and streets connecting the dots. I’ve done over a hundred in a twelve hour solo race, but that was way too boring. I prefer point to point rides like Off Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell (64 miles 11,000 feet of downhills):thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Most Ive ever done on the mtb was about 75 miles of pretty much all continuous singletrack out in GW National Forest. I also did a 140 mile road bike ride once, but
I havent done one since because my a$$ was feeling it all week.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
So much will have to do with the terraine your ride on. I ride fairly technical Pisgah trails with lots of climbing. 10 Pisgah miles way feel like 20 miles on a flatter less technical course.

The longest ride I have done is in the 40 mile range. Due to family obligations and work and all the other excusses I get out once a week on the weekends. But I ride between 15 and 25 miles every weekend. 10 miles is way too short a ride for me. Over 20 and I start to wear down. My goal for this year is to build up to do a few 40 mile epics this summer. I don't ever think I'll ever do the Off Road Assult on Mt Mitchel. 55 miles 11,000 feet of climbing the winner does it in under 6 hours. OUCH!!!

·
mtbr rememberer
108 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
Given the differences in terrain that different riders in different area`s are going to encounter, all this talk is pretty irrelevant really.
So is a lot of the talk in a lot of the threads.

But I agree with you. Fire road miles are not the same as ST miles. Flat is not the same as steep. I think the best measure of rides is time and vertical.

My longest mtb ride was 7 hours. I have no idea how many miles or vertical, but it was a lot.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Yep

dr hoo said:
I think the best measure of rides is time and vertical.
Yep, I ride for time. That means the better you get, the more miles you are riding. The only reason I know how far I ride is because somebody else always has a GPS or bike computer. I have one 25 mile Tahoe ride that is much more difficult, and takes a lot longer than another 40 mile Tahoe ride.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The longest ride...which was a race is 31 miles for me. Since it wasn't continuous I don't count it but I did 95 miles in the 24 hours of allamuchy last year. That's my highest numbers of miles in 24 hours ;-)

Ryan H.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.