Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not the best luck

2 Alloy Hardtail - Zero broken
1 Alloy FS - Cracked at top tube
3 Carbon FS - 2 cracked: Both manufacturing defects, cracked seat tube after 100 miles, other separated bottom bracket.

At the point, can only select manufactures that stand buy their products and provide replacement frames in timely manner. Now waiting 8 months for one of the damaged carbon frames.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,597 Posts
Impressive collection but confusing. You have two 15th bikes and two 19th bikes. This is really skewing our numbers.
I had to keep going back and adding numbers. Guess I didn’t quite get enough.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
So I Just totaled the mountain bikes i've owned, catergorized them in material type and calculated the % of broken, cracked frames per material type and here it is.

Alloy 12 bikes, 4 broken 33% failure rate
Steel, 1, no failure
Carbon, 5 bikes, 1 broken 20% failure rate.

Whats your stats.
Carbon: 2, zero failure
Steel: 1, zero failure
Alloy: 9, zero failure

More important stats, my zero failure rate is over many years of 100 plus riding days, I weight around 200 lbs. and ride in the rocky Northeast US. My riding style is not overly aggressive, I usually keep my bikes for five years and would rather climb then drop.

There is a lot more to getting a more accurate fix on bike failures.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,269 Posts
Funny Huffy story:
Between riding, jumping, and crashing (broke my arm on that one) - the Pro Thunder frame never broke. The handlebar broke. The stem broke after replacing the bars. Crashed out the wheels and fork. Bent cranks (unbent, and re-bent - they were considerably weaker after bending them back - no cold work hardening happening there).
Broke 2 BigWheels :LOL: (1 fork, 1 frame) <--They were mountain BigWheels ;)

But really
'90 RockHopper Sport (cro-mo) - frame was fine. Fork bent. This bike survived 1,000s of hard miles learning to ride trails + urban riding. My all-star bike of all time. So much good because of this bike!
'93 Univega Boralyn (aluminum-boron composite) - snapped downtube
'94 Univega Boralyte (aluminum-boron composite warranty frame) - snapped seat tube at BB
'96 StumpJumper M2 (M2 composite) - chainstay. Warranteed in '04!
'07 Niner MCR9 (Reynolds 853) - rear dropout broke. I made a new one and had it welded in. This was actually a really good bike.
'11 Canfield Nimble 9 (cro-mo) - downtube/headtube junction snapped :mad: But they came through with a '13 warranty, which did not break.

Bikes that did not break:
'97 Cannondale MT1000 tandem (still have it - still ride it)
'02 StumpJumper M4 (sold - I only had it 1 season) This was also a really good bike.
'04 StumpJumper M4 warranty for the '96 (yes, on a 8 y.o. bike!) I still have this bike.
'08 Iron Horse Hollow Point MkIII Comp (notorious for rear triangle cracking - gave it to my wife while it was still in good shape - she still has it!) This was/is a really good bike!
'13 Nimble 9 (sold)
'18 Nimble 9 - my current ride!

So, um, MTB frame stats...?
Aluminum failed at 43%
Steel failed at 40%

-F

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
A handfull of BMX bikes, two cheap steel road bikes, and a steel hybrid that I flogged before getting real serious into MTB riding. All of those bikes held up fine. Well actually not, there was a Haro BMX that something went wrong with but I might have been pushing it harder than it was meant to go. Since getting "real" mountain bikes...

One Al hardtail - still using it today as a commuter. It's 27 years old .

4 Al FS - two cracked frames both out of warranty (shock mount gusset - known issue with old Spec. Enduros, cracked rear triangle - Pivot Mach 5.7). Both companies gave a "buddy deal" - just enough discount to make shopping other brands unattractive.

1 CF FS - current ride. I hope it doesn't break because it's my favorite bike ever.

I also have an Al road bike that's over 15 years old but doesn't get much use anymore.

And a steel MTB tandem currently for sale.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
'07 Niner MCR9 (Reynolds 851?) - rear dropout broke. I made a new one and had it welded in. This was actually a really good bike.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I've owned around 12 mountain bikes in the past 20 years of mountain biking and zero cracked or broken frames.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I've owned...
-KHS Winslow
-Kona Process 134
-Transition Bandit 29
-Nukeproof Scout 290*
-Giant Reign 2
-Trek Full Stache 8*
-Giant Reign Adv 0 (majority of parts swapped on Reign Adv)
-Polygon Siskiu N8
-Giant Reign Adv*
-Banshee Phantom V3*

* denotes current steed

That's 10

Transition Bandit was purchased second hand... and it came to me w/ a developing crack in chainstay (drive side).

Rode it for quite a while as is... and when crack grew, got it welded up.

Then chainstay (non drive side) started cracking up, just forward of rear axle.

That's 1!!

Hopefully the one and only

PS - my HMX-600 (when I was 10-11) cracked where downtube, toptube and steerer-tube meet.

Rode the crap outta that mule for 4-5 years!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Like stripes said “too many to remember”. Never owned carbon.
Owned at least 18 alloy frames and broke 3. One cracked down tube and 2 broken chain stays.
Owned at least 6 steel frames with 0 broken.
I did break 3-4 steel (cr-mo) BMX frames back in the early 80’s
I think this thread jinxed me. I need to add that I broke another alloy frame today.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I broke a 24 inch wheel bicycle when I was a kid. The down tube broke and the top tube slowly bent This is why I ride steel.There is never a catastrophic failure you get warnings generally a squeek where there is a crack.I aslo buckeled the dropout of a Schwinn Traveler. 2mm thick dropouts should be illegal for adult bicycles and regulated to the third world. Strangely enough these are still sold on tandems.Also when I was a kid I broke a tandem trying to do a wheelie on it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I've had around a dozen mtbs since 1993 and I've only ever broke one. The swingarm on my 1996 Proflex cracked and was replaced under warranty.

·
2,648 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with not breaking frames since I started riding in 1995ish. I've only put cracks in 2 aluminum hard tails:

2006(?) Transition Vagrant that cracked just below the seatpost collar. Transition sold me a new TransAM frame for 1/2 price because I wasn't the original owner.

2000 Cannondale F2000 that cracked right near the rear disc brake mount. Cannondale gave me a new frame in less than a week.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,790 Posts
Since 1996:

27 aluminum alloyed frames (all dual suspension bikes)
1 steel frame (hard tail SS)
0 carbon fiber frames (though my wife failed 2 of her's).
0 ti frame
0 scandium-unsure if scandium is covered by aluminum-its been my race day bike for a decade+

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
A lot, but less nowadays.

I have a give or take five, 50 different mountain bikes since the 90s.
3- steal frame. 1 failure
8-aluminum frames. 6 failures
40-carbon frames. 4 failures.

·
aka Taprider
920 Posts
12+ steel bikes - 11 failures (but sold one while less than two years old, had one stolen, and gave other non-race bikes away or abandoned them)
10 aluminum bikes - 6 failures (but sold two while only a season old, just stopped riding another (cheap heavy tank of a commuter frame), and gave the other one away as a prize after racing it in Nicaragua)
2 titanium bikes - 1 failure (but returned one while less than a season old)
3 carbon bikes - no failures (with 7+ years of hard use BC XC racing and Arizona bikepack racing on the oldest one, I retired it because I wan't to move from 26" to 29")

All the failures were due to fatigue (maybe accelerated by riding BC XC or Moab XC) and not from crashes or jumping
Whereas, I have had relatively very few wheel or drive train failures, am cheap about replacing parts except chains and brake pads, and think that I have lots of "mechanical sympathy"
As well, carbon is very cheap and easy to repair if needed, and if you don't care about aesthetics can be DIY
But the opinion that carbon is the strongest material is based on BC designed carbon mtn bikes, and not sub 1 kg carbon frames.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
2 aluminum mtbs- 1 failure
1 steel mtb- 0 failure

·
aka Taprider
920 Posts
so as far as rate
steel ~80% failure
aluminum 60% failure
titanium 50% failure
carbon 0% failure

·
Thicc Member
1,509 Posts
I've cracked a couple carbon hardtails, but since going to full suspension, haven't had a problem, even with the Chinese no name brand. In fact, when the seatstays cracked on a hard tail in the middle of the ride, I enjoyed the extra cushion so much on the ride home that I bought a fs bike and haven't looked back!

·
Registered
444 Posts
4 steel: 0 breaks
10 aluminum: 2 front triangle breaks (both stinkys) 1 chainstay (early model Guerrilla gravity, the updated replacement has been holding for 2 or 3 years)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts