Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode 18 miles yesterday at Middle Run yesterday and was beat. It's early the season but I was surprised how tired it made me. Last year I had a couple 25 mile rides abd wasn't as worn out.

My question is how many miles do you guys cover on a typical weekend ride?

For me, my average is probably about 12 - 14 miles depending on hills. I'm curious how typical my milage is compared to others.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I need to work on my conditioning. I also wonder which will reduce fatigue, slower revolutions in higher gears or faster in lower gears?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't keep track of miles personally, I just go by the amount of free time I have on a given day. If I have the whole day and I'm by myself, I just ride until I'm exhausted. Are you eating anything/enough while you are out riding? It's easy to forget to eat when you are out having fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I measure rides by the hours as mileage may vary.

But about 3 hrs on weekend rides and 1 hr if a weeknight (work and dog requirements) generally

Not all rides are created equal. 3 hrs in Watershed nets you about 15-20 miles whereas 3 hrs in Rosaryville is 30+.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Wow, I need to work on my conditioning. I also wonder which will reduce fatigue, slower revolutions in higher gears or faster in lower gears?
Slower revolutions in higher gears makes your muscles work harder. Higher revolutions in lower gears makes your heart work harder. If you control your heart rate, and push your muscles just a little, you can ride a long time, and you'll get stronger on both fronts. If you blow up your muscles or blow up your heart rate, your rides won't last very long. Of course, if you interval train, that will help both. So, ideally, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I usually only get to ride on Friday's, which is my day off. If I can get to a nice trail, and get in 5-6 miles I load up happy!

#muddybike #tiredlegs #happyheart

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
25 miles is an Epic ride here in the mountains of VA/WV.
Just did 25 last weekend and was feeling it for days. lol

I'm with ya Hopper, 12-14 is more realistic for a normal off-road ride.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree, with the elevation and technical sections here, 12-15 is a good ride. I will do 20 on a rare occasion but I'm spent for a day or two after that. There are a few flat trails that we'll drive too and 20+ isn't too bad there.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't get out as much as I used to/would like to. Squeezing in an hour after work or two hours on a Saturday once in a while is about all I can manage these days. Fortunately, the local trails here around DC are well suited to those types of short blasts.

·
Registered
560 Posts
12-20 on the weekends, but yeah, depends on the trail system. 20 miles in Fair Hill is easier than 20 miles in Patapsco. During the week, I usually do an hour - hour and a half before or after work, time and weather permitting. Sometimes I'll do hike a bike DH runs on my heavy bike for an hour or two, and sometimes I'll hit the skills park for a couple hours and that stuff makes me just as tired as a trail ride for the same duration. Different muscles, but it still wears you out.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
Usually 10-12 over the course of 2 hours early in the season. I stop frequently for pics and to enjoy the scenery/nature. I'd like to do more, but my cardio is... Nonexistent.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,209 Posts
typical good ride, 35 miler

typical 'screwing around ride' 18 miler

typical road ride 40 miler

1 - 15 of 15 Posts