Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my two oldest sons hooked on mountainbiking about five years ago. It was probably one of the best things I have ever done. We have had more good times together than I could ever count. The only thing better than a biking roadtrip is a father/son biking road trip. Since then I have also hooked my youngest son, and my 9 year old daughter who also loves to go. My wife even took the plunge a few weeks ago so she wouldn't always be out of the loop. My teenage boys are mostly into DH/FR of course. They are now hitting things that absolutely blow my mind. My 14 year old was doing 25' gaps and 12' drops last weekend and made them look like warm butter. The only downside is the expense, but it is a small price to pay for the memories.
Heres the family stable :

Me: Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Gemini 3000
16 year old son : Kona Stinky Primo, Cannondale Chase, Intense Uzzi VPX on order
14 year old son : Specialized Bighit Expert, Felt Jumpshot ordering this spring
11 year old son : GT Rebound
9 year old daughter : Trek 4500
Wife : Jamis Dakar

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
You don't even want to know!

There are four of us and and even our 7 year old daughter has multiple bikes. I think we have upwards of 25 bikes in the family. In fact if I put mine and my husbands together I think we get to close to that number without the kids...

We have old clunker cruisers, we have road bikes, bmx bike, fixie track bike, a few fullys, singlespeeds, hardtails, lots of frames, and no less than three tandems. Hmmm... no cross bike, might have to work on that. Heck my husband's got three bikes with engines...

2 car garage, no room for cars.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Just me + GF

My Stable:
Seven Sola Ti
Intense 5.5
Echo Urban trials bike
Macalu Ti road bike (rebadged Litespeed)

GF's Stable:
Seven Duo (due for delivery next week)
Custom Dean HT
Trek road bike
Honda Hawk
Honda RS125 race bike

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
My Dad..

Oldhippie said:
I got my two oldest sons hooked on mountainbiking about five years ago. It was probably one of the best things I have ever done. We have had more good times together than I could ever count. The only thing better than a biking roadtrip is a father/son biking road trip. Since then I have also hooked my youngest son, and my 9 year old daughter who also loves to go. My wife even took the plunge a few weeks ago so she wouldn't always be out of the loop. My teenage boys are mostly into DH/FR of course. They are now hitting things that absolutely blow my mind. My 14 year old was doing 25' gaps and 12' drops last weekend and made them look like warm butter. The only downside is the expense, but it is a small price to pay for the memories.
Heres the family stable :

Me: Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Gemini 3000
16 year old son : Kona Stinky Primo, Cannondale Chase, Intense Uzzi VPX on order
14 year old son : Specialized Bighit Expert, Felt Jumpshot ordering this spring
11 year old son : GT Rebound
9 year old daughter : Trek 4500
Wife : Jamis Dakar
rides his Giant hybrid to and from the golf course to shag golf balls from the water obstacles. He digs it so thats cool.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow

screampint said:
You don't even want to know!

There are four of us and and even our 7 year old daughter has multiple bikes. I think we have upwards of 25 bikes in the family. In fact if I put mine and my husbands together I think we get to close to that number without the kids...

We have old clunker cruisers, we have road bikes, bmx bike, fixie track bike, a few fullys, singlespeeds, hardtails, lots of frames, and no less than three tandems. Hmmm... no cross bike, might have to work on that. Heck my husband's got three bikes with engines...

2 car garage, no room for cars.
Just when you start to think you are a freak and out of control with your obsessions and passions you find that there are people out there who make you pale in comparison. It's always nice to know there are people out there who are even more Over The Edge.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Family Bikes

Me:
1984 Schwinn Continental
1995 Mantis Profloater
2004 Litespeed Tuscany
2005 Ventana El Saltamontes

Wife:
1994 Univega Alpina 5.7

7 YO Daughter:
RetroRider Trike
Trek Mt Cub girls 16" BMX
Trek Mountain Track 60 Mountain Bike

3 YO Daughter
Kettler Mini-Trike

Unassigned:
2002 Giant comfort ATB

mc ;)

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
GF (Triscuit):
2003 (I think) Gary Fisher Tassajarra HT (w/ upgrades)
2005 Jamis Nova CX
Haro Vector beater/commuter

Me:
2001 Haro Werks XCS Dually (bought new last fall)
2000 Haro Werks SSX Single Speed
1984 Trek 660 Road/Commuter/Beater bike
2000 Voodoo Bizango (in pieces at the moment)
Mountain Cycle San Andreas Frame (currently for sale on Ebay)

The six built bikes all live in our one bedroom Apt. The two frames currently reside in a storage unit.

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Garage far wall has 8' wide 4' quarter with 4' deck and the opposite wall is a 5' quarter to wall. For those rainy days. Sign disclaimer at door :D
Me: Specialized Vegas with too much $$ thrown at it, Cannondale Prophet 800, D-back Voyager, Uni-cycle, My first bike- MCS Magnum. 9year old: Spec. P-street, Hoffman Condor 18, Pacific something. 5 year old- Huffy something 16" w/ shredded training wheels :) Wife: Trek 800

·
commutin' Canuck
108 Posts
Just my wife and I She doesn't ride much, I've pretty much taken over her Rocky Mountain Hammer as my commuter bike

97 KHS steel roadie - the wife rides it once in awhile
98 Lemond Chambery Carbon Fibre Roadie
2000 Schwinn Rocket 88 FS - gathers dust
2001 Rocky Mountain Hammer - my commuter
2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ - my main ride the lst few years
2003 Rocky Mountain ETSX - my "new" MTB

·
Banned
449 Posts
Pretty much my whole family.

Me: Giant AC, Nashbar touring, Bridgestone MB4
Sister: Jamis Dakota
Bro-in-law: Norco Team Issue
Bro-in-law's bro (not really family): GT Xizang
Parents: Matching Schwinn hybrids. Dad also has an old (1948?) Schwinn cruiser with a Whizzer motor.
Grandparents: Old Schwinn cruisers. Neither rides anymore though, Grandma broke her hip and Grandpa's got emphysema from smoking a rubber hose.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Just me. My wife did until fitted with a wedding ring. My 8 month old daughter is anticipating her first child's bike trailer ride.

Stable:
Turner XCE
Lightspeed Natchez (road)
AMP B3 (wife's)
GT BMX - restoring my '80s machine

I envy you folks who have all or some family members riding! My wife's single track forked right into domestic goddess land.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
I'm the only one that rides regularly, though I'm trying to bring my wife and kids over to the dark side.

Me: 2005 Stumpjumper fsr Comp, 2001 Marin Nail Trail, home-built full-rigid beater, Kona Major Jake (cross bike)

Spouse: Giant Sedona hybrid POS rotting away in the shed - we're looking for something more enjoyable for her to ride

Daughter, 7: Purple Schwinn girly bike, 20" wheels; Giant "Lil' Puddin" 16" w/trainers (outgrown)

Son, 3: Radio Flyer fixed-gear (maybe someday he'll come full circle!), 12"-wheel w/trainers soon to come...

We've also got a trail-a-bike and a trailer for the kiddies, tho' now that daughter's riding on her own the trail-a-bike may go into storage for a couple of years.

·
Caboose!
78 Posts
7 on the wall and 1 on the trainer

Between my wife and I we have 8 in the garage.

Me: Spec. Big Hit-downhill bike
Bianchi B.U.S.S.-single speed extravagence
Cove Stiffee-freeride hardtail...great bike
Indy Fab custom deluxe-if I could only have one bike...
Spec. FSR-built with old parts, loaner bike
Kestrel 200ems-older with 8spd Ultegra
Spec. Enduro SX-4x bike that's doing time as an excellent trail bike

Hers: Foes Zig Zag-built freeride light, has custom "Heineken Green" paint job
(currently ridded by nephew since the wife is pregnant)

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
My wife and my oldest daughter

Mine, in order of appearance

2000 Trek 7000
2002 Trek Fuel 90 (on it's second set of wheels now)
2003 Specialized Allez Pro
198? Shogun roadie built with tiagra/105 bits
198? Cannondale M500 converted to SS

I have been riding the Cdale ALOT. Which is funny as it is the bike with the least amount of $$$ put into it.

My wive's bikes

1999 Trek 920 "upgraded" with a Rockshox Indy C
2003 Giant OCR 3 which would not even be recognized by it's own mother after the full 105 grouppo, full carbon fork, shorter/higher rise stem, and cyclocross levers

My oldest

Schwinn BMX girlie bike
She lusts after the Specialized Hotrock MTB sitting at the LBS right now. I told her that she has to ride some trails with me before I drop the $$$ for it.

The middle girl

Trek Mountain Cub (handed down from her older sister)

The youngest

Wall Mart POS 12" wheel bike

I am super stoked about my oldest kids enthusiasm. Today, given the choice of riding with her dad to an appointment, or riding in the car, she chose the bike. No small decision when it is 52 F with an 18 MPH wind.

·
slow
7,734 Posts
Retro Family

Our garage looks more like a museum than a bike shop. Our family of four owns almost nothing from this millenium, but I'm convinced that it is not the machine, it is the legs and lungs. Bring on yer' shiny new boingers.

Me:
1956 Schwinn Cruiser
197? Italian Road frame coffee shop bike (w/ Campy Valentino)
1995 Marin Team beater bike - For Sale
1993 Paramount Team w/ AMP F-3
1999 Moots YBB SL

Wife:
1954 Schwinn Cruiser
2002 TREK road bike
1990 Fischer Advance w/ newer Zokes, XT, Race Face (Engagement present back in '90, but she still wanted the ring. Hard to find a frame to find a 5'0" lady)

10 Y.O. daughter
1992 Alpinestars w/ Rockshox Mag20 & 26" Wheels
1995 Trek 24" wheel MTB

7 Y.O. son
199? Redline 20" wheel MTB
198? 16" wheel POS

Burley Trailer Cycle
Burley D'lite that has been rolled 3 times with a kid in it.

Except for the Burley stuff and the kids' POS, they all get ridden hard and regularly.
All this and we can still get one car in the garage most days.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
let me see... my younger brother just got a Trek Bruiser 1, my parents ride a bit, to my knowledge. my dad has an 03-ish Norco Wolverine, about seventeen hundred (or not) old 70s-80s roadies and some sort of Norco hybrid i believe...mum has an 03-ish Norco Bushpilot and a Peugeot roadie, and i have a norco commuter, a Soul Cycles SS and a Trek 6700.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
My three bikes ARE my family!!

Other than that, it's a lame list:

Dad:
Once rented two tandems for the family to cruise around the park....20+ years ago.

Mom:
Used to own a black Schwinn cruiser, gathered cobwebs in the garage.

Sister:
Had a 10-speed as a teenager.

Sister's fiancee:
Has a titanium Merlin that he never rides, and a Cannondale road bike with a cracked dropout that exists in limbo b/w impossible to fix and the trash heap.

Cousin A:
A nice Giant mtb that he never rides.

Cousin B's fiancee:
A wonderful Schwinn Woodlands hybrid that I spent $100+ to fix up, only to watch it die a slow death locked up on her back porch. :mad:

Boyfriend A:
Claims to know how to ride a bike, but acts afraid of it.

Boyfriend B:
Owns a "mass-market" mtb, but doesn't even know the name of it, nor does he ride it.

Dear Friend A:
Family has bikes, rarely do they ride them.

Dear Friend B:
Once fell off a bike and is now terrified of them, like it was a dog that bit her or something.

Dear Friend C:
Actually tried basic DH'ing with me in the rain and mud when I went to visit her! She will always have a special place in my heart for being a trooper. Don't think she'd do it again, but she didn't complain at all and I love her to pieces for trying something new and crazy for my sake :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.