Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a brochure in the mail a while back - this one from Al's. I thought about getting a one-year membership ($50). At the same time don't need to tempt fate by "preparing" for something that ain't gonna happen. Nope, aint' gonna happen to any of us!

Right? Right?:confused:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have a St. Lukes membership. Like alot of people here....I spend a fair amount of time in the great outdoors. Better safe than sory. We all probably have heard the $tories about people having to use St. Lukes or St. Als. I had a buddy get ****** up on Borah and had to air lifted out. One of my climbing wall coworkers got ****** up in a climbing fall at Jump Creek and had to be flown out and I don't remember the exact cost, but it was ALOT. Luckily his dad made alot of $$$ at HP and was able to afford it, but for alot of us out there, a rescue like that would bankrupt us if we didn't have air ambulance rescue.

Keep in mind that both services in Boise have deals with other outfits in the region. Just go to their respective websites and find out. In fact I think out-of-state coverage is the same with both of 'em.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
I have a family membership at St. Al's Life Flight. We have a friend that buys us one every year for Christmas.

CDB

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna get it, what the hay, $50 a year for something that if needed probably costs what $7000 otherwise!

·
Registered
119 Posts
A Must Have... A Great Cause

A life flight membership is a must have thing. A thing of beauty. Supporting the program(s) is about your concern for others...not about you. The odds of us needing the service is remote...but rarely a day goes by I don't see those helicopters flying with someone who is seriously injured. It makes me feel good to know my membership is supporting those crews and injured people with the most advanced flight equipment and services available. Yes, it is also nice to know if I get hurt my flight expenses will be free as a member.

I support St. Al's life flight. They are simply without peer in the life flight business in this state and even St Lukes takes you to St Al's for the most serious injuries. Fortunately, we have so many great people and businesses in this state that support the programs that are saving peoples lives.

Steve Appleton of Micron life was saved by the service when he crashed his plane 10 miles south of the airport. The St Al's helicopter was in the air less than 3 minutes after he crashed and arrived 11 minutes latter. He was in the emergency room 15 minutes after that. Wow! I believe he gave $1M to the program and was last years distinguished citzen of St. Al's. Of course these stories happen all the time for anyone in need of life flight (regardless of membership or ability to pay). Life flight memberships are simply a thing of beauty for everyone in Idaho.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree it's a good thing, I just wonder, what if the aircraft is in service when you need it? they (paramedics or whoever) wouldn't let you wait. So they call someone else and you're not covered. Probably a long shot though; you would think more often not it would be available.

Justen mentioned that too - about supporting a good thing. I suppose it's the memberships that are the main revenue source for the program. I'm sending my app in very soon!

·
Registered
30 Posts
always get it, never needed it, but much like crashing on a bike, it's usually not if but when. i get it for my wife as well and she never gets out much anymore (preggo) but still as zymo pointed out in the paper the other day, if you had serious surgery and had to be transported to another hospital out of town, they go by air and it's expensive. it's another form of insurance that pays off to have it, but if you don't, you'll wish you did.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I guess I should. Wonder if St Lukes would match St Als. I hate St Als. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. Fortunately they haven't had the chance to kill me yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.