Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time Driving

• <30 min per week. I live on a trail

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • <1 hour. Yeah, I drive, but it's fine

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • <3 hours. Tunes and Podcasts are my friend

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • >3 hours. I may spend more time driving than riding.

Votes: 7 10.9%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering just how long people spend driving every week to go Mountain Biking. I live in SF, so unless I'm doing the sutro loop, it's 30 min (pacifica) up to 2.5 hours (UC/Demo) roundtrip to ride. So basically, I don't ride anywhere but my local loop. :( Is everyone else spending tons of time in their car to ride every week? Or do you all live in Fairfax, Santa Cruz/Aptos/Tahoe?

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
I try to ride Nisene Marks once a week. On a typical weekend morning, that's a 15 minute drive there and 20-30 minutes home. Other than that, I usually ride Sand Hills/UC from home.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I live in SF and leave town to ride nearly every weekend. I have chores to take care of in Monterey County many weekends so I mix in a ride at Fort Ord. Otherwise, it's Pacifica, Tamarancho (much less frequently these days), or a destination zone like DV or Tahoe. I'll drive to nearly any gravity race within a 5 hour radius (Humboldt, Mammoth). I keep forgetting to ride Sutro but I'd probably drive there, too.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Last weekend I was in SC on Saturday, and Tahoe on Sunday. Next weekend I’ll be in Bellingham, WA. Then on 4th of July weekend I’ll be in various parts of BC. Might throw in humboldt and China Peak before then too.

I don’t mind driving to get to good riding, and I drive a lot for someone with a full time job.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Im thankful for being able to ride out my front door. The time I take to load the car, drive out there, unload, and am ready to ride is about the same as if I ride to the trails. Plus it’s the perfect warm up/cool down. I’ll do a 30 minute drive to Santa Cruz every couple months at the most.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I live 1.7 miles from my trailhead in Santa Rosa (Annadel State Park). In the past 2 years I started driving as it gives me 20 minutes or so more riding time, tires last longer as they only roll on dirt, and I’m closer to the car if a mechanical ends my ride early.

So 3 to 4 times per week at 1.7 miles each way = 13.5 miles per week driving to the trailhead at the most for 40 to 60 miles of weekly mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
bad reputation
464 Posts
I’m one of the lucky ones and I’m thankful for what’s easily available to me. Yesterday was a rare day that I drove to ride UC, I live midway between UC & Nisene, so I typically pedal from home unless Im meeting someone early.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My closest trails are 25 minutes each way from home, or 15 minutes each way from work.

Most of my weekend rides are ~1 hour each way.

My rule is generally not to spend more time driving than riding (some exceptions of course). I also try not to drive in traffic (leave early/late).

When I completed the EBRPD survey the other day, I let them know that I am driving so much because they don't offer good riding opportunities closer to my home. I doubt they care.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I almost never drive to ride.

I live in Oakland approx 20-25 min ride from trails in JMP. Travel time by car would only be a few mins less and I don't have to worry about a broken window.

Very jealous of those you living in Nevada City, Mendocino, Santa Rosa who have even shorter rides to much better riding.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I live in San Rafael. I ride 4 to 5 days and week and don’t usually drive. On occasion I go to the usual out of town trails like Annadel, Santa Cruz, Downieville, and Tahoe. The typical non travel week I ride to the trails Typically I ride BCC, Tamo, 680, Bug Rock and fight club.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I live 1.7 miles from my trailhead in Santa Rosa (Annadel State Park). In the past 2 years I started driving as it gives me 20 minutes or so more riding time, tires last longer as they only roll on dirt, and I'm closer to the car if a mechanical ends my ride early.

So 3 to 4 times per week at 1.7 miles each way = 13.5 miles per week driving to the trailhead at the most for 40 to 60 miles of weekly mountain biking.

I'm 1.25 miles from A-dell and ride in so that I get my legs warm. Given the climbing required right out of the gate at Annadel, I think the spin in is necessary so I don't hurt myself. Traffic is manageable for that short of a distance.

Oh, and... "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Arctic Pride again."

I love Grass Valley/Nevada City!

·
Registered
810 Posts
SF=always driving, but lots of variety.

Since the first of the year:

Sutro, Tamo, Woodacre/San Geronimo, Loma Alta, China Camp (front & back), Annadel, Rockville, Water Dog, Skeggs, Demo, Pacifica, El Granada, Jackass Ridge, Alder Creek/Prosser

Also ride UCSC, JMP, Skyline, Tahoe Donner, South Lake Tahoe, Downieville, Tahoe City, Peavine, but not yet this year.

Still never done Mills Peak or Mendocino, but they're on my target list.

I tend to rotate a lot and almost never ride the same place consecutively.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.