Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize during off season time spent may be less but during full season just wondering what kind of time dedication in training it takes to be consistently in the top 5 in mtn bike racing.

From the sounds of it, Elite riders do nothing else in their life but workout in their free time. This true? What about lesser classes like Sport?

·
XCdude
1,324 Posts
Well last year I goofed a little much and work

made it really hard to train, but I got 7-10hrs per week. Here where I do my racing I was never able to crack the top 5,our fileds are between 29-45 guy. Two years ago when I was doing 10+ hours per week I was top three in any race fighting for the lead.
This year the work hours are pimp so I`m going back to at least 12hrs, but really shooting for 15+, I want top three.
I know I`m in pace because I`m about 10 lbs lighter this time around than last year.

I have two teamates that are expert level and sub-23 class, and they do 15-20 hrs every week they are podium guys every race.

·
Pauly
87 Posts
Well here's another data point for your graph.

Last year I put on an average of about 5 training hours a week and that was enough to keep me at the back of the sport class all year. Actually that's about the third year in a row for me.

This year I'm still not putting in much more than 6 hours per week yet but at least I started early (in December) with 3 hours on the trainer per week plus at least 2 more hours of riding I'm starting off with a much better base this year. I think I can swing 7 hours or more per week this year when the weather warms up. I hope to make the back of midpack this year on average in the sport class. Lame, I know. Wish me luck.

Actually, once racing season starts I think most riders actually do less riding. At least less high intensity training.

I'm also interested in knowing how many hours others devote to training.

·
Registered
2 Posts
8 - 10 hours per week in the off season. Most of that is base mile riding. I'm a sport class rider with a hand full of podium finishes last year. I'll crank up the intensity in another 6 weeks or so. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I follow a periodized training plan, so besides a 5hr recovery week every 4th week, my weekly hours are between 8-10.5hrs per week.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Here's another data point

Did sport class last year, consistent top ten and got five top five's. One second place in a field of 35 was my best.

Last year I trained quite a bit in the winter. Typically towards 35 hours a month during the months of December (base1), Jan (base2), and Feb(base3).

I follow the Joe Friel periodized structure for hours, more or less; some weeks will be 10-12 hours and R&R weeks as little as 5-6 hours. So during those base periods I got the most hours in. In March, April, and May I was actually doing less hours, but more interval sessions.

During the heavy race season in late May and June, I was just doing 5-6 hours a week which included a race nearly every weekend.

IMO, cross training is the best way to get the base time in. For example, I did 3 hours of skate skiing yesterday which beats the hell out of any time on the trainer:thumbsup:. But now that some tune up races are approaching, I have to start integrating more workout time on the bike.

My best advice: maximizing your potential comes in training with quality in mind, not so much quantity. A well-structured training plan does that.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
When I raced sport....I'd say 8 to 10 hours the first year which netted me a nice mid pack spot in the Florida Champ series. The following year I upped that to 10-14 hours, but also started racing endurance races as well. That moved me up to podium spots in the Southeast Regional series and even a couple of endurance race wins. In order to achieve podium spots in the major 24 hour races I've quit my corporate job and train 12-25 hours a week, with some race weeks over 40 hours.

Eddie O

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
less...more

With a kiddo and my job, 5 to 7 hours was as much as I could cram in last year, and I still ended up on the Sport podium 5 or 6 times, and did pretty good in two endurance races. I think the key is using the time you have wisely... This year with an upgrade I'm trying to put in double that, but 8 to 9 is as much as I have been able to squeeze in so far.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I average 10 per week. that includes averaging in time off the bike. With the amazing weather we have had here in nor cal this year, it's been even more

·
Registered
76 Posts
6-8 hours a week is about all I can do having kids and a job. I think that for the Sport class, 7-10 hours a week is enough to be at the front of the pack if you use that time wisely.

My experience says the guys at the front of Sport class are often expert quality racers that just can't dedicate the training hours because we have hectic lives outside of bike racing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
usually 7-11 hrs (midpack sport). For the past month its been 4-5 hrs though - too cold, too much snow, hate the trainer, too much work/classes/dissertation to write - and lots of other poor excuses.
On a side note - I put in about 315 hrs last year. Mostly a midpack rider on average, though I did beark the top 5 in one race (30+ rider field). Anyway, I got talked into doing the Miami half-marathon with my girlfriend (she did the marathon). I'd run about 10 times in as many months going into this thing. My longest run was an 8 miler 4 weeks prior to the race. Somehow I managed to finish in the top 33% (99 out of 309) of males 25-29. This leads me to one of two conclusions - I am in good shape but suck at mountain biking (technically) or mountain biker racers have insane fitness levels that transgress that single sport.
Anyway, just thought I share. Oh yea, and I could barely walk for a week after the race.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Destroy said:
I realize during off season time spent may be less but during full season just wondering what kind of time dedication in training it takes to be consistently in the top 5 in mtn bike racing.

From the sounds of it, Elite riders do nothing else in their life but workout in their free time. This true? What about lesser classes like Sport?
2 weeks ago: 15 hrs
last week: 0 hrs

ok, so i was sick last week. that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

i race expert and generally train 7-10 hrs/wk. am i a top-level racer? not really. occasionally i'm on the podium and most of the time i'm pack fodder....but i think that has a lot more to do with (a lack of) genetic talent and (a lack of) willingness to give up my life to train.

the top-level pros will train 30-40 hrs/wk because that's their job. the local pros and expert racers will train as much as their lives and schedules allow.

i have no idea how many hrs/week i trained when i raced sport because i didn't count my hours. i just rode and raced.

rt

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
yup

bigD-XCguy said:
My experience says the guys at the front of Sport class are often expert quality racers that just can't dedicate the training hours because we have hectic lives outside of bike racing.
I agree with that statement. It's them and the fast ones who just started racing and need their podiums to upgrade to expert.

·
Registered
72 Posts
14 to 16 hours a week right now, starting the intensity work in the next week or so. I've been away from racing for a year or two and trying to jump back into expert class with hopes to be competetive in the elite class by the end of the season. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good Gravy!!!

So seems most serious racers are riding AT LEAST 4x a week for about 2+hrs each outing.

Man, I would get so burnt out of mtn bike riding if I rode that much. And tired. Physically working all day on my feet (mechanic) tends to tire a guy out by the end of a day.

Not to mention, where the heck do you all find the time?! You Experts are dedicating some serious saddle time each week.

Guess I'll just try and be happy with current mid pack Sport finishes with simple small step personal goal improvements.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I don't race sadly - no MTB racing here, but I'm trying to change that - but lat years I rode about 8-12 on avg, but my total avg for the year including time not training due to sickness or injury made it just about 6 hours a week avg.

Now compared to this year where I'm actually training for something the hours will go up greatly as I'm training for a 100 endurance race and once I get into the full swing of things I can see between 14-20 hours a week being my avg.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So, I guess then based on what has been said that if I continue to place in the 3-8 positions regularly then I could move up to expert because a lot of the guys ahead of me are expert level and should move up anyway?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i race in a high school league and happen to ride with a few pros on occasion and i know that they all ride the road. I also know that a good number of pros ride singlespeed. They also frequently ride at night. On the weekends the ride for long periods of time ( 4-7hrs) So about 20 hrs a week 4 to 5 times a week is also accurate.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.