Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll go ahead and tack up my name on the list, thanks to this morning's unexpected turn of events. My poor, poor Fisher. Loved that thing like a child...but at least I'm okay. It's almost painful to look up from my computer and see the double-taco wheelset and the broken metal pieces on my living room floor. Ugh.

·
Riding or Fishing
246 Posts
Twice here.
First time I was maybe 10 years old. Hedge was taller than me, car coming through an intersection, that I couldn't see.
Second time was riding to work last year. Some ass clown making a right turn didn't think to look left before pulling into the intersection. My bar ends did a nice number on the hood of his brand new Jetta :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Three times as as teen. 1st, had road rash from shoulder to ankle (except where backpack strap was). 2nd, dislocated shoulder. 3rd, slide out on a patch of ice and had a pickup truck over top of me when we stopped sliding - no injured but scared the crap out of the driver.

This is what got me into mountain biking. At least if I get injured, it is my own dam fault.

I used to run over the hoods of cars that refused to stop behind the stop bar when I was out running and in the crosswalk.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Struck by car 12 June, 2000...while I was "flintstoning" my bike in a crosswalk...with the "walk" signal...driver was "floating" the red light...while talking on cell phone...

MANY close calls since. :madmax:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got ht by a drunk driver who was turning into a gas station parking lot to get more beer once (on my way home from school at 3:30pm on a Monday). Then another time by a UPS truck at a 4 way stop (ironic because my last name is Downs). I guess he thought that I was not real, as I saw him look at me (and I got to the sign first and he was to my right). Never hurt beyond a scratched elbow.

·
Registered
820 Posts
RSW42 said:
Struck by car 12 June, 2000...while I was "flintstoning" my bike in a crosswalk...with the "walk" signal...driver was "floating" the red light...while talking on cell phone...

MANY close calls since. :madmax:

Fockin' cell phone idiots...immediate, summary roadside execution for any one who causes an accident by trying to use one while driving! :mad:

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I've been hit twice, once from the side and once from the rear and I've hit a car twice, once into the side of a mini as it turned in front of me and once the passenger door of a BMW which got opened in front me as I rode past. Each time the driver was at fault and I managed to get reimbursed for repairs and replacement parts.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Twice. Both in Boston back in the college days (1980-ish), on a road bike

1st was my fault...flying up a one way street, the wrong way of course, and a car pulled out of an alley. Hit her left front wheel, collapsing my front wheel and fork, and slid across her hood into the street, uninjured. Apologized, picked up my bike, walked home.

2nd was a taxi , making a right turn from the left lane, across 4 lanes of traffic, and cutting me off. I turned with him as hard as I could, but lost it and slid half under the cab as he skidded to a stop. Needless to say I was pissed, and I got up screaming at him and beating on the front passenger window with my fists. To both our surprise, the window shattered. He stomped on the gas and took off. I got a nice cheer and applause from the bystanders. Bike was fine, but my right leg was road-rashed from hip to ankle. I still wonder what the taxi's passenger thought of the whole situation! :eekster:

Jim

·
Registered
511 Posts
Twice. Both times by drivers passing me and then making an immediate right turn into a driveway, causing me to ricochet off the right sides of their cars. Amazingly, I didn't fall either time. Once I blew a rear tire skidding to a stop (road bikes), and both times I left good sized scratches on the sides of the cars. Both drivers claimed they didn't see me. Huh? This was way before cell phones, so that was not a contributing factor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Twice. First time when I was 12...I blew into an intersection. That was my own damn fault.

2nd time was last summer. Some guy whipped a left turn in front of me. I nailed him head on going full speed. I clipped out upon impact and went ass over tea kettle. I cleared the length of the car, the right lane of traffic, and landed on my back in the grassy median between the sidewalk and the road. Luckily it was in a rich neighborhood where people spend more money on their lawns than most people do on their entire house. So it was a pretty soft landing.

As I landed my Schwinn Paramount whizzed by my head and landed in a nice soft coniferous pine tree. My Velocity Deep V took the full force of the impact and only required a moderate wheel true. I did however fold my crank arm(campy centaur square taper) in half which would explain why the only thing that happened to me was my ankle swelled into a kankle for a few days. I ended up selling that bike but I still have the scratched up Brooks saddle on one of my bikes to serve as a reminder as to how getting behind the wheel turns most people into impatient, inconsiderate duesche bags.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Twice. But the first time was when I was 10 or so and just busted up my Huffy. Bike was replaced.

I was hit while road riding in May 2005, doing about 35 down a hill in the designated bike lane. My bike was totaled, I suffered a concussion, tons of road rash and bruises, pulled muscles in my shoulder, neck and back, and major bone bruising to both my knees. Nothing was busted or torn that we can tell. Needless to say, I was very sore for a long time. I'm still trying to figure out insurance settlement numbers from the accident (they did replace my bike immediately)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Once, in the Swiss Alps on a narrow road blind bend connecting trails, head on into a pick up truck full of local farmers. I braked hard just before the collision, bike swingarm pivoted 90 degrees which was struck by the truck sending me over the bars and truck hood, into the windshield and then into the ditch. Luckily I was totally armoured up from head to toe so just bruised and stiff for a week. Bullit swingarm, rear wheel, rear brake etc was totaled. As soon as I picked myself up off the floor, the Banyards took off! Taught me a few lessons....to not bomb down roads at race speed, never cut corners (even a bit) and to brush up on my French language skills.

·
mtbr member
154 Posts
just hit

two weeks ago i was hit by a toyota truck. i was riding in a designated bike path and at an intersection the toyota cut the corner, didn't stop, and hit me in the bike path. after the impact, she continued to drive and pinned me under the truck tire. my injuries will heal (broken thumb, bad road rash, rib/cartilage/soft tissue breaks, bruised liver) but i'm scared sh**less. it happened very fast.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was hit about 4months ago, or I should say hit someone. Some lady whipped a left turn in front of me and I skidded into her right rear passanger door. I went flying over the trunk and almost landed on my feet. Luckly not a scratch on me. My shifters where bent just a tad but I actually had a new pair in the mail from PricePoint. Someone was watching over me.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.