Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many helmets other people here have gone through. The first helmet i broke was a giro E2, after a few addmitted bad bails. I then decided to try specialized, cant remember the type, it wasnt a top end one but a good one. Called an enduro maybe? But anyway that helmet cracked after a few crashes too.
I`m on my second E2 and its held up fairly good the last couple of years, i still check for cracks regularly though.

So my total number of helmets broken is two but i`m sure there`s people out there that have done alot better, or broken alot more whatever way you want to look at it.

·
slow
7,685 Posts
One was a first generation Giro (1987). OTB and landed on my head. Didn't even notice the helmet was broken until I finished the ride as the stretchy nylon cover thing was holding it together on my head.
Second helmet I broke last year. I set my pack and helmet down on the ground while loading my bike on the roof rack. When I stepped back after loading the bike, I stepped on the helmet. Doh!

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Short Answer: 1 out of 3 owned

Long Answer:

I didn't start wearing a helmet until I joined the Air Force in 1997. Mandatory to wear one when on base. Prior to that I was a pure bicycle commuter for 7 years and never owned one.

First helmet I bought didn't break, it was stolen off of my bike in a bike parking area. Bike wasn't stolen, just the helmet.

Second helmet I bought was in 2001. Also didn't break or crack. After about 4 years of use the foam padding inside of it was wasted and everytime I sweat it poured directly into my eye. Ditched that helmet and bought my current helmet.

Current helmet has taken a few minor hits (mostly low branch smacks) but does not have any cracks. The plastic piece that attaches to the right side of the helmet (the one that connects to the strap around the ear) is now broken though. I have been ghetto rigging it to function properly, but have a feeling its days are numbered.

So my current helmet is the only one that has "broken".

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
4 or 5

I've broke 4 or 5. I can usually hear the snap when I make impact. I currently have 2 new unused helmets on standby and 3 usable. Gotta protect the grey spongey matter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the idea here is to stay on your bikes... :( I have yet to break any helmets as I try not to land on my head... :) I did however replace my helmet after getting driven through by a Chevy Equinox last year... That was an interesting experience... It happened so fast I didn't know what all got wacked... He paid for it, along with my new bike, shoes, and a partridge in a pear tree...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
1 old bell (separated AC joint too)
1 motorcycle helmet ("come on, were not riding that far, you'll be fine without one") I put a rock throug the temple
1 Giro last fall, went ass over tea kettle on a root drop.
1 M1A1 tanker helmet. Driver slammed on breaks on edge of wash. we did a nosedive in bottom. I shot up and hit my head on a bolt stud on roof of turret

I want a 3/4 helmet with ear and temple protection with enough vents for a roadie

·
Registered
362 Posts
4 out of 5 in about 14 years

1st helmet, it was a specialized something. I left the helmet between the sliding door and frame. Shut the door and cracked the helmet
2nd helmet, Bell Evo, still have it, still good and I have taken a few falls on it.
3rd helmet, Bell Ghisallo, fell over on my head while turning on a hill at very slow speed. I was in a trackstand, then turned and lost my balance. I couldn't believe the helmet cracked.
4th helmet, Bell X-Ray, went OTB hard. Cracked Scapula and 2nd degree A-C Joint separation

Just bought a Giro Xen, I hope I don't break this one!

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Three but...

I've broken three helmets, but all three were broken when they weren't on my head (car doors (x2) and car seat (x1). I've never crashed my head hard enough to break a helmet. From the other posts it seems as if I've been pretty lucky (or wimpy!).

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just one but it was during a spectacular endo into the swamp. I remember thinking as I was flipping through the air that it was a good thing I was landing in water.......come to find out that the water was about 4 inches deep. I left a chunk of the helmet on a tree by the area as an offering to the trail gods.:D

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crashtestdummy said:
I've broke 4 or 5. I can usually hear the snap when I make impact. I currently have 2 new unused helmets on standby and 3 usable. Gotta protect the grey spongey matter.
Don`t know weather to give you praise or say what the hell....... At the moment i`m thinking wtf?.... Sounds like a good effort to break that many.... Any knock outs/ conncussions? I`m pretty sure i got knocked out with one of the helmets i broke, cant remember which one. Total face plant coming off a jump in a xc race. My club mates had to walk me down to the carpark, didnt know where i was or what was going on.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Six or 8, at least. Not bad for 23 years of riding. This does not include the helmets I have crashed hard, show no cracks and replaced for safety reasons.

I also will retire a helmet after 4-5 years as the aged foam does not protect as well.

I would guess I have used 20-30 helmets in total, including the ones in current rotation.

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
Don`t know weather to give you praise or say what the hell....... At the moment i`m thinking wtf?.... Sounds like a good effort to break that many.... Any knock outs/ conncussions? I`m pretty sure i got knocked out with one of the helmets i broke, cant remember which one. Total face plant coming off a jump in a xc race. My club mates had to walk me down to the carpark, didnt know where i was or what was going on.
I have a 36" inseam, so a high center of gravity, on my previous bike I tended to do lots of front endo's, and I tend to hang on while I fall. I usually hit the side of my head, then my right shoulder. I'm usually still clipped in. Now I have larger wheels and a bike that fits better, and no endo's so far. I also will replace a helmet that has crashed, especially if I think I hear it snap.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Once was enough...

I was doing sprint intervals (10 seconds, all out standing) and snapped a chain on a bike path. I made a big, S-shaped skid with the front wheel, flipped and hit the pavement with the back of my head hitting the ground first at well over 20 mph. I had no loss of consciousness or any other concussion symptoms. I'm convinced I might still be "eating" through a tube or worse if I hadn't been wearing my helmet.

Helmet makers recommend replacing a helmet after a good whack, by the way. As Shiggy said, often they loose their integrity in a way that you can't see or feel.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.