Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are set up as more of a XC type trail bike vs. the big hit type trail bike. Do many of ya heckler riders use it as really tough XC bike?

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I don't have a pic

but mine is definitely set up for xc, it is on the light side. I do not know the exact weight but it is lighter than a friend's newer Trek Fuel Carbon bike. I have an rp3 for the rear shock and a 125mm fox talas(2004) for the front. The only thing I wish was that the a/c was longer on the talas. My heckler is spec'd for 515mm a/c and the 2004 talas is only 495mm a/c. I do ride some challenging trails here in the Santa Cruz mtns. I do not do big drops or big jumps, though not because of the bike but because of lack of skill! I really feel the Heckler is great all round bike. Just by changing shocks, both front and rear, you have a different bike- xc or light free ride. Simply versatile.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scheckler , for your bike being set up as a XC machine do you ever wish you had a superlight instead. too much travel for XC or jus t right...Really it is lighter than a carbon fuel!?! STOKED!

·
Registered
44 Posts
rekibtm said:
scheckler , for your bike being set up as a XC machine do you ever wish you had a superlight instead. too much travel for XC or jus t right...Really it is lighter than a carbon fuel!?! STOKED!
Good call. Mismatch at the lbs? You should have gone Blur LT.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had mine as a 28 lb XC trail type but found that the geometry lends itself to really fly on the downhills - so it got fatter - first bigger rubber, then a bigger fork, then wider rims/heavier wheels. Its now 32 lbs and I really don't miss the 28lb heckler.

·
Registered
471 Posts
b0cephus said:
Good call. Mismatch at the lbs? You should have gone Blur LT.
I disagree...If someone wants a strong, versatile, quality bike that performs well than the Heckler fits that perfectly. The beauty of the Heckler is that you are not forced into one type of build to get good performance. You can build it up light with shorter travel or as heavy duty as you want and it will still perform great. That is why I just puchased a Heckler frame. Right now it is more bike than I really need, but maybe next year that will change. But I am confident that it will still ride great. I would rather have a bike that I can easily "grow" into rather than easily "grow" out of.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have both a Superlight and a Heckler and I am planning on selling the Superlight this year. I like the geo. on the Heckler better and it feels much less flexy than the Superlight. My Superlight is built up light, around 26 lbs, and my Heckler is around 31. The Heckler is basically a do anything frame that can be built to pretty much suit any type of riding....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how do you guys like the single pivot suspension of the heckler. A guy on a rush ws complainin gthe other day at the trail head about pedal feed back because of the SP.

·
364 Posts
I've got a 2004 Heckler with a 5th/coil that's around 31 lbs. but it pedals great and is quite durable. It was just a tad too much bike when I lived in Asheville, but now that I'm back on the Western Slope (CO), it's perfect.

I've also got a 2003 Superlight that I'm building up light, basically for my fiancee. If all goes well, she'll be getting a Juliana in the next year and I'll make the SL into a 1x9 for summer high country riding.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
earl06 why was the heckler " a tad too much bike". what was the drawback of having too much bike?

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Hey rekibtm...

rekibtm said:
No, I do not wish I had a superlight, I really like the heckler. I broke the swingarm on my original heckler and got the crash replacement deal. I had a choice between the heckler or the superlight. My friend with the carbon fuel is on a mission to find out why my heckler is lighter! I have mavic xc717 with dt swiss 240s hubs so my wheels are pretty light. I do know if you would call what I ride xc because I climb as much as I go down. I do some minor jumps and drops and some real technical trails so I like having the travel the heckler offers. I am also only 156 lbs. so the lighter wheels are ok for that type of riding. I am thinking about a wider rim for a little more stability though.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
rekibtm said:
earl06 why was the heckler " a tad too much bike". what was the drawback of having too much bike?
I'd like to know the answer to this also. I've ridden in both places, and actually found some trails around Pisgah and Tsali to be just as "worthy" of a Heckler as Western Slope trails.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Rear Shock

JCHKeys said:
Sweet Heckler!

What rear shock is that? 4 way or Evolver? How does it ride?
JCH
It is the new Swinger X4 and it is super adjustable, light and rides great. I also have a DHX 5.0 coil shock for the bike which is also incredible. I decided to make this more of a trailbike than light freeride bike and this is why I gave the X4 a try.

·
Registered
381 Posts
crankpuller said:
I had mine as a 28 lb XC trail type but found that the geometry lends itself to really fly on the downhills - so it got fatter - first bigger rubber, then a bigger fork, then wider rims/heavier wheels. Its now 32 lbs and I really don't miss the 28lb heckler.
Same here! My Heckler is now just under 34lbs with a DHX coil. Don't do the 28lb build on a Heckler - Sacralidge so it is!

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
heckler xc to fr

I got my heckler which was set up and used as an xc sled - swinger 3way air shock, xc wheels, xc bars, firex cranks and 424 pedals, 2.0 xc tires. Came at around 29 lbs

Its slowly gotten more FR, as it is simply a blast going downhill and on really technical terrain with some drops. I've added a burlier and wider wheelset, 2.1 Kenda UST tires, wider DH hbars, Hone cranks and 647 DH pedals and a Fox DHX coil.:) Around 34 lbs and getting heavier by the minute :)

I'm thinking of getting a pike or a similar fork so I can do bigger stuff. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
clyde XC

My Heckler is pimped for heavy duty XC:

I'm 6'0" and 240 lbs :eek:

'03 polished frame with 5th element air (purchased frame from JB Mt Bikes in PA) & built up with:

Fox TALAS R fork (04 ?)
XT front der & shifters (XTR rear der)
Stylo Team Cranks & BB
Avid mech discs (6" rear; 7" front)
Thomson seat post & stem
Easton Bars
545 pedals
WTB saddle

31.3 lbs :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.