Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject states. I talked with some peple who have epics but they don't touch the brain fade option. They say its really just a gimmick to appeal to a larger crowd instead of just racers. If that's the case, then I'm just going to stick with my 04 Comp and upgrade the crap out of it. Much cheaper than buying a new bike since all I'm really getting then is the M5 frame. I know the geometry is better since my 04 can get steep on downhills but I've ridden this long so I know how to accomdate that.

I would be getting the 07 Marathon but for roughly $2000 I can turn my comp damn near into an S-works (component wise not frame). That saves me $1800. Is the frame, M5 material and brain worth the $1800?

Some input would be great. Thanks all.

FYI: The Upgrades would be:

Crankset: XTR, Desu or Trutative
Brakes: Marta SL or XTR with XT levers
FDR: XT or Sram
RDR: All ready have XTR may switch to SRAM X.0
Shifters: Switch from LX shifters to XT or XTR and maybe SRAM if I get RDR
Stem: Thomson (100mm 10deg to reduce
Handle bars: Monkey Lite (will need this regardless, my carbon is getting old)
Wheels: Custom: Swiss 4.1d with Hadley or King hub (quote is $550 to 650)
Seatpost: Thomson (don't really need since I have Ritchey WCS)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OH, I should also say that I could ebay my old components for roughly $200 and, if I get a new bike, could sell my bike between $750 and $900. So the actual difference between upgrading and new bike is around $1200.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had an 04 Epic and I now curantly own a 06 carbon Epic and an 06 stumpjumper Pro. On both the bike I use diffrent settings for diffrent ridding. For trail ridding I tune it for less platform. This soaks up the small bumps better. When I race (XC and super D) I tune it to more platform, for increased effeciency and no bob on the out of the saddle attacks. The 06 Epic has a much larger range on both sides of the platform. The stumpjumper has range but does not have as much platform as the Epic. I would recomend the new brain over the old brain. But as far as comparing it to a pro-pedal equiped shock i'm clueless. I'm sure a tuned PUSH shock would be an excallent choice too. So, do you need it? Do you fiddle with your shock settings? Do you understand rebound, compression, blowoff, propedal etc. If you do you will like the Brain. If you are a set it and ride kind of guy, Then I think not, unless you use your bike for racing and trial ridding, you will like the diffrence between the settings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I race my 04 Epic now (6 to 7 races a year). There is not much I can do for the read shock other than air pressure and rebound. It's pretty much set and ride type of shock. Periodic air pressure checks, but once I have the rebound where I like it no real reason to adjust.

I've never ridden anything other than a hardtail or an Epic so I'm not familiar with the more plush shocks. I was just wondering if people really adjusted the fade or not. I guess when I'm not racing I would switch to a more 'plush' ride.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I frequently use the Brain Fade Control. On training rides I dial it for a softer feel. The wimpier I feel the softer I dial it. On race day I dial it for efficiency or to suit the course. I can notice a significant difference in the settings. I avoided the previous Epic’s because of the on/off feel but when I tested the Brain Fade on the 06 Epic I was sold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.