Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have more than one ride? How many and what do you have? A DJ and a DH? A FR and an XC? Two DH's?

If you have multiple bikes, do you really ride each one for their "intended purpose", or do you find yourself huffing your FR on the trails when your XC would've been better, or hitting the urban jumps on your DH, etc?

Just wondering because I recently bought a new Mountain Cycle Sin (with a 3-ring up front), and while I figure I should keep my XC bike for light trail rides and urban cruises, I really wonder if I'll actually pass up my shiny, new MC and break out the old XC bike on those occasions...

·
Removed at birth
595 Posts
I have 3 bikes. My big Bike is a 2005 Weyless 67, with Shiver on the front, and triple ring, for days requiring climbing and such. My second bike is a 2004 Heckler, with 2004 Z1FR. This is the bike I use for most rides. And the third bike is a Specialized Allez(road bike). I try to get out about once a week on this bike just to keep in shape, and satisfy my desire to prance around in Lycra.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I have Three and will soon be Four if I get some money.

DH/FR- 2004 SC V-10 w/floater, Shiver, Holzfeller, XTR, etc...

XC/Commuter- 2003 Trek 820, stock

Road-(just got) 80s/90s Rossin Team Racing, Campy Athena drivetrain

In Future....
XC/FR/DJ/ST- 2003 SoulCycles Titan, Stance, V-Drive Xtreme, Vuelta/D521 wheelset.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,427 Posts
3 bikes for now

I have a 03 Spider / Talas RLC for xc, a 01 Schwinn Straight 6 / Psylo for trail riding, and a 03 Titus Quasimoto DH / 888R for bigger stuff / DH. I use my Spider for any cross country rides requiring prolonged climbing, my DH bike for shuttle / ski area rides, and the trail bike for other stuff in between. I'm actually riding the Titus around town since it's fun to find things to jump off / ride over. I may build up a Foes Inferno or Ellsworth Moment with a 6 in single crown fork for a more aggressive trail bike - if I can justify to my wife a 4th bike.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Have two scooters:

DJ: 2004 Haro Escape 8.3

All else: 2004 Ellsworth DARE, with a triple ring, Sherman Sliders and all the happies. This does all else pretty well thus far, jumping, climbing, DH, FR

Just sold the CRF 450, back to Pedal power, too many hospital visits.

·
Registered
192 Posts
...4 rides...

Trail Bike - 2003 Norco Fluid 1
DJ HT - 2002 Devinci Hucker
DJ / 4X / FR - 2003 Intense Tazer
BMX - All Purpose - 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock 3 24" Cruiser

Would like to have 5 or 6 bikes, like a winter bike and a road bike, I just don't have the room or the time to maintain them all.

:p :p :p ...notice that room and time are the deciding factors, not money... :p :p :p

·
Registered
735 Posts
Trail/XC: '03 SC Heckler w/ '04 Sherman Flick

DH/FR: '04 Foes Fly w/ 888R

Road: Trek 5200 Postal Edition

BMX: Specialized TJ Lavin Fat Boy(got great deal from lbs on closeout)

Fly is used for my local shuttling or big hit rides as well as riding Northstar.
Heckler is used for trail riding(including Downieville) and the ocassional XC race.
Trek is used for 20+ rides after work or on the weekends.
Specialized is starting to collect dust and I am going to get rid of it as I want to get an urban/dj mountain bike(Cannondale Chase, Gack or Azonic Steelhead).

·
Registered
105 Posts
downsizing: only 2 left

Cove G-Spot for FR
Intense Tracer (just built! :D) for XC

said bye to:
Rocky Pipeline (original first one orange and blue)
Rocky Oxygen HT

·
Registered
313 Posts
2 bikes--foes fly super T w/ 2 rings for dh/shuttle, ventana marble peak Z1FR for xc/trail. i don't ride the xc bike anymore at all. the fly may be a little over the top for a trail bike, but when i go trail riding it's not a race, and i have 2 rings, so i don't really see the point in riding my xc bike anymore, especially if there's any fun stunts or drops along the way.

·
Administrator
10,347 Posts
I have two only that I regularly use but between my wife and I we have 9.

I use a bullit with a z150 and triple up front. For everything from light XC to fun epic uphill road/DH fall-lines. Big tires and light wheels.

I use a full rigid steel single speed (light, light) for everything from light xc and commuting, to tough XC.

I rarely use the SS on anything but two trails, where as I use the Bullit on those two plus everything else that Arizona has to offer.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have 2.5

XC/STREET/TRIALS/DJ= my Kona Scab
DH/FR= my Banshee Scream
Screwing around=both the above, plus my unicycle. So much easier than learning to manual

I ride both the bikes pretty equally

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
DH/XC/Urban - 03 Big Hit Expert w/ Monster T.
XC/Urban/Jump'r - 04 Soul Cycles Titan (hopefully soon to be replaced with a KHS FR2000).
Road - 04 Iron Horse ????

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
2 right now.

FR/Trail - Banshee Chaparral - Romic, Z150...
XC - 98 Specialized FSR - Stratos Helix Expert, Manitou Xvert DC...

Gonna build up either a Sinister Ridge or a Banshee Scirocco w/ a Z1 for XC/General purpose use here shortly.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
2 for now...

DH/FR/Urban: 03' Bighit Expert pretty stock 'cept triple guide/bashguard. Possibly a new fork soon?

XC/trails/DS: 00' Enduro Pro with shorty stem, triple guide, FR rims/tires and 8" front rotor.

Road: ? is there such a bike? J/K. Would like an Allez Pro but I know I wouldn't ride it much. Love Lance but could never buy a Trek.

HT: Would love a P2 or P3.

In reality, with another grommet on the way, 2 will probably be the extent of my stable. Plus the wife already has an FSR and the critter has a little Hotrock.

·
bored
168 Posts
FR/DH: yeti AS-X with Boxxer Team
DJ/park/urban: custom Haro escape with RockShox Psylo(it'll be ready in a couple weeks, anyway)
XC: Azonic DS1 with Manitou Black Elite
BMX: GT Power Series Pro with 1-piece cranks, $160 on eBay

·
eci
2,712 Posts
first off i am an official bike whore so please keep that in mind
dh foes mono
fr ironhorse sgs expert
xc ih hollowpoing expert
ht craftworks rail
road james eclipse

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Not rich--just a bike nut.

ryanc44 said:
How many of you guys have more than one ride? How many and what do you have? A DJ and a DH? A FR and an XC? Two DH's?

If you have multiple bikes, do you really ride each one for their "intended purpose", or do you find yourself huffing your FR on the trails when your XC would've been better, or hitting the urban jumps on your DH, etc?

Just wondering because I recently bought a new Mountain Cycle Sin (with a 3-ring up front), and while I figure I should keep my XC bike for light trail rides and urban cruises, I really wonder if I'll actually pass up my shiny, new MC and break out the old XC bike on those occasions...
And I work at a shop--nothing like a heroin addict working at the opium factory.
1.'97 Trek 930
2.'99 FSR Enduro
3.'99 Bullit
4.'00 FSR Big Hit
5.'00 Specialized Allez Comp
6.'01 Trek Y-Foil
7.'02 Trek 2300
8.'03 Bullit
Man I hope my wife doesn't see this thread. Let's see...hmm...it's 2004, and I don't have one--LOL!

·
Registered
304 Posts
4 right now.. 04 Demo9, 03 BigHit, '97 IF Deluxe, and a bastardized single speed bar bike.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
DH...

Specialized Big Hig DH 03 (am about to sell)...with the usual deal...

Dual/4by...

GT Ruckus i-Drive 2.0 (trying to currently sell)...with the usual deal...

and hell no i dont ride them accoring to there specific purposes...i quite frankly mainly only like Dh and FR and the bikes associated...so i dont think i will ever get a trails...DJ...XC...trail...or road bike...is prefer to have one majorly kick ass bike than have heaps...such as an 05 ironhorse DW (that im clearing out my current rides for)...:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts