Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, telemark ski on lift assisted mountains?

I'm doing an independent study on the correlation between the two fringe user groups, and could use as much data and opinions as possible. Thanks!

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,610 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

I'm doing an independent study on the correlation between the two fringe user groups, and could use as much data and opinions as possible. Thanks!
I think it would be more apropriate to ask how many ss'ers telemark. I remember when I built my first ss and a friend asked what the point was. I was at a loss to explain it, and then I remembered he tele'd. So I responded by saying "I don't know. Why do you tele?" He then understood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm into riding one-speed 29ers... and I'm a telehead! Purity and Simplicity. As you may know, tele skiing is the most beautiful and gracefull thing in the world. And riding a one-speed 29er is damn nice too... Both are harder to learn and master as well. And anyone who would argue that is a dumbshit...

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Aw, c`mon! I got all excited when I read "telemark" the title, then I got to the part that said "lift assisted". Rats! I don`t shuttle when I ski. But that`s OK, I don`t have a niner yet either. Maybe next year for the niner and maybe when I don`t have to share the same slope with a zillion other people for the lift assist.

·
Registered
16,299 Posts
DistantFellow said:
tele skiing is the most beautiful and gracefull thing in the world
Not when I did it!

I'll stick to my high-speed, quad chair, chili/cheese fries for lunch snowboarding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ride a 29-er SS and ski telemark. I do liftskiing as well as skitouring. I ride my bike 100+ days a year and ski maybe 10-15 (living in the Netherlands) so I wouldn't really consider myself a skier as much as a cyclist.

·
Registered
944 Posts
DistantFellow said:
I'm into riding one-speed 29ers... and I'm a telehead! Purity and Simplicity. As you may know, tele skiing is the most beautiful and gracefull thing in the world. And riding a one-speed 29er is damn nice too... Both are harder to learn and master as well. And anyone who would argue that is a dumbshit...
Clearly you haven't seen a pair of Dynafits ;) I telemark, avidly. I also ride a 6.6 and a MootoX. both are geared though.

The new BD O1 bindings are redefining touring for telemark skiers.

·
Let There Be Dirt
186 Posts
Mountain biker since '85, Tele since '88. Singlespeed in '04, 29er in October this '06.
I don't get in the backcountry anymore, just lift served skiing with my kids the last 10 years.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

I've tried, but every ski area I go to in the winter won't allow me to ride my 29"er up the slope.:D

I've always wanted to try telemarking as it looks like a great work out to ski up and down the mountain, but I'm one of those skiers who likes to get his full lift ticket money's worth and am usually the first on the lift and one of the last guys doing a run when the lift closes - on "normal" skis. Not sure I would be satisfied only getting about 3 or 4 runs in for a full day with the time it takes to ski/hike up the mountain.

Can't quite bring myself to call carving skis "normal", but they have been growing on me the past few seasons as I was one of the last hold outs to make the switch to the shorter carving skis. Actually switched to 29"ers the same year.:thumbsup: Short skis, big wheeled bike.;)

BB

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,732 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Telemark ski with lift assist -- maybe once a year.
Telemark ski in the backcountry -- maybe 3 times a year.
Throw-off a Telemark turn as a way to a stop on skate skis -- maybe 30 times a week.

·
Registered
944 Posts
BruceBrown said:
I've tried, but every ski area I go to in the winter won't allow me to ride my 29"er up the slope.:D

I've always wanted to try telemarking as it looks like a great work out to ski up and down the mountain, but I'm one of those skiers who likes to get his full lift ticket money's worth and am usually the first on the lift and one of the last guys doing a run when the lift closes - on "normal" skis. Not sure I would be satisfied only getting about 3 or 4 runs in for a full day with the time it takes to ski/hike up the mountain.

Can't quite bring myself to call carving skis "normal", but they have been growing on me the past few seasons as I was one of the last hold outs to make the switch to the shorter carving skis. Actually switched to 29"ers the same year.:thumbsup: Short skis, big wheeled bike.;)

BB

Mountain biking is as close to backcountry touring as the sport can be. Lift served skiing will anaerobically challenge you, but never give you that good aerobic workout that skinning will. I tend to do about 60/40 bc vs. lift access. Both have their benefits and in Colorado, there are days where the snowpack forces us to ski the resorts. But given the choice of skiing four untouched lines all day, or fighting the masses at a resort, I would always choose the bc.

T

·
Registered
215 Posts
lock the heel ski for real!!! You damn telle jerks. But seriously I think that skiing is one of the best modes of cross training for SSing. You have to still do something for your lungs durring the winter or you will be screwed in the spring but you can build some massive leg strength skiing 100 days a year. It's basiclly interval training ten minutes on the lift five minutes hauling ass in the powder. Move to the Northwet and you'll build some serious strength skiing in the cascade cement plus you'll hit way more "powder" days than anywere else. My home mountain Mt. Bachelor has about 260" of snowfall so far this year and a 120 inch base.

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
I'm building a RIP now. I started pinning about 3 yrs ago (after alpining for about 35yrs). Most lift service, but some backcountry as well (in the dark, thru trees, with a headlight!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freeheeling for 15 yrs and 29 SSing for one year...

and both for the same reason......the size of the grin they put on my face!!!:D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts