Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this back from the folks at PUSH and had my first ever ride. It shows about 1/2 to 2/3 travel via the rubber-band indicator and I can't seem to get the rest even when I drop the pressure to 70 PSI. How low can I go before bad things happen?
I weigh 156-160 w/gear.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well if its a float r then the air is only for spring rate not damping so I would imagine you can run as low as you need but maybe confirm with push first.

Running too low an air pressure really only applies to forks/shocks that use the air pressure as a damping setting. Mainly for fear of air getting into the oil as far as I have heard.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is a Titus Racer-X. Don't know the sag setting but I guess whatever it needs to be to accomplish full travel on a crazy-big hit.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well just use the % rule if its an xc bike about 15-20% (some like 10% but that always feels harsh to me) of shock stroke trail/fr 25-30% of shock stroke. That should get you in the range.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Did you check your Owner's Manual for recommended sag? The current RacerX Owner's Manual is available online (http://www.titusti.com/07/racerx_om.html#SETTING_SAG/AIR_PRESSURE_AND_SPRING_RATE:)

This is what the Owner's Manual shows:

SETTING SAG/AIR PRESSURE AND SPRING RATE:

When setting up your Racer X, it is important to have the suspension compress slightly (sag) when sitting on the bike. Setting the proper amount of sag will allow the bike to follow the terrain better and maintain proper frame angles. The proper sag setting also determines the air pressure or spring rate so that major adjustments will not be required on the trail.

Follow the steps outlined below:

Place a zip tie around the shock shaft (your shock may already have an o-ring).
Slide the tie or o-ring up to the base of the shock body.
Sit on the bike with your full weight on the saddle.
Look down and make sure the tie is still against the shock body, and then slowly step off the bike.
Measure the distance between the shock body and the zip tie/o-ring. The proper measurement should be between 3/8 and 1/2 inch (9.5-12.5mm).
Adjust pressure up or down accordingly. Only use a rear shock specific pump, such as those offered by Fox or Risse.
Re-check your settings after a few rides. The shock seals will break in and the pressure will need to be adjusted

Here's some info from the Titus website (http://www.titusti.com/07/suspension.html):

How much air pressure should I put in my shock?
When setting up the suspension on your bike, it is important to have the suspension compress slightly (sag) when sitting on the bike. Setting the proper amount of sag will allow the bike to follow the terrain better and maintain proper frame angles. The proper sag setting also determines the air pressure or spring rate so that major adjustments will not be required on the trail.

Follow the steps below:
Place a zip tie around the shock shaft (your shock may already have an o-ring).
Slide the tie or o-ring up to the base of the shock body.
Sit on the bike with your full weight on the saddle. (It's best to do this while wearing your full riding gear)
Look down and make sure the tie is still against the shock body, and then slowly step off the bike
Measure the distance between the shock body and the zip tie/o-ring. The proper measurement should be between 3/8 and ½ inch (9.5-12.5mm)
Adjust pressure up or down accordingly.
Re-check your settings after a few rides. The shock seals will break in and the pressure will need to be adjusted.

So, it looks like the info you are looking for is available in two places on the Titus website.

Measure your sag, adjust the air pressure until you get the required sag, then you'll know what air pressure you need.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jesse Hill.....Do you mean sag should be 15-20% of the shaft length?
OK Thanks. This statement "The shock seals will break in and the pressure will need to be adjusted." may be the key since the bike has all new components and only has about 45 minutes of any kind of suspension active riding.
I will run this by Darren @ PUSH and see what he says also.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You're just a bit lighter than me and I think I was using somewhere around 100psi on the PUSHed Float on my Hammerhead 100X (same as Racer X). You should set your sag at 25% and fine tune from there. So that's 1/2" of sag on a 2" stroke shock.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After talking w/Jimmy @ PUSH it turns out that there is "0" breakin time needed with the components they use. He recommends setting the sag to 30% as a guideline & says the Racer-X is a very progressive bike & it's hard to get the last bit of travel out of this frame.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
sklein said:
Thanks alot, Here's a pic of my bike.
Ooooohhhhh! You have the older Float. That particular shock is too progressive for that bike. You'll probably need the AVA sleeve (tuned to about 1/2 volume) to get full travel. I don't know where you can find one though as the newer (2005+) Float series sleeves thread differently.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well I dont know about the adjustable sleeves (since I think that only lasted a year) but doesnt push sell the larger canisters? It may not be progressive enouh but you never know it may be perfect (depending on the size hits you take).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. In fact when I read the previous post I went on their site and found this replacement high-volume air sleve which seems to directly address my problem.

http://www.pushindustries.com/products.php?prod_page=Components&title=Components

The page says, "If getting full travel out of your rear suspension isn't possible without running excessive sag, this is your solution."

I am surprised they didn't mention this when I called about my limited travel earlier.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
possible excessive bottoming causing you to have to raise air pressure (ie spring rate) and lose sag+small bunp sensitivity. However I would prob go for it, in my experience the large volume cans never seemed to have people complaine (at least on SC bikes) why they stoped using it I dont know but it felt better to me at least.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, there are some of the same uncomfortable side effects of running the small sleeve w/30% sag as PUSH recommends, so I guess I'll play w/it & see.
thanks

I bought a stock AVA from a guy on e-bay (non-PUSH) so I will have a back-up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.