Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cracked or bruised some ribs in the past few days. Feels more like a crack than a bruise. I hate going to the DR. since there is nothing they can do but Xray. I am 46, in reasonably good shape. Anyone had this happen lately and how long was your recovery? I tried to ride this weekend and even a nice easy Urban ride was painful enough to send me home early. Just trying to judge recovery time?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've broken several ribs in crashes over the years. Did 7 of them in one crash a few years back. Done it so many times that I've got my recovery time dialed.

I've been able to ride as soon as two weeks out from a mild injury, but would still have a fair amount of pain for about a month.

Usually I can be back on the dirt in 3-5 weeks after a typical break, but will have some pain depending on how I move for about two months.

For the really bad breaks, I was back on the bike in 6 weeks but felt the injury for months afterward.

Going to depend on how bad the injury is and your tolerance for pain, but most people seem to be able to ride to varying degrees in about a month +/-.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cracked a rib last year, didn't even realize it till that evening...but I think it actually too about ten weeks to heal, with not much riding in there...seemed like an eternity! I am same approximately age in good condition, but like they say, these things take time!
Good healing to you...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think I cracked a rib a couple years ago, but never got an x-ray. I just know a sneeze of cough was very painful and I didn't sleep on the cracked side for over 2 months.

I was doing easy road rides within a couple weeks. If I remember right, I was back on the dirt in about 3-4 weeks, but couldn't ride aggressively for about 6-8 weeks. It'd ache on and off after that for a while, but nothing that would slow me down.

Wrapping them seemed to help some, but it might have all been in my head.

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
I dislocated & bruised ribs 2x last summer, and both times, I wasn't pain free for at least 2 months. If you want to keep your fitness, riding on the road will help you get through the time period where you're comfortable enough to sit & spin, but can't yet tolerate standing efforts or off-road bumps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I broke 6 ribs October 08. 4 on the right and 2 on the left. Swan dived onto log while hiking. I had bad pain for the first week ,plus hard to sleep and also get out of bed for another month. I believe my diaphraghm would be pushed upwards while lying down. I really didn't ride the bike much during that time and then it was winter.
Also Xrays are not very helpful in determining if your ribs are broken . Sometimes they will be evident on Xray and sometimes they will not. Some doctors will just do them to make sure there is not a pneumothorax.
My wife made me see the doctor and they did an Xray. No broken ribs seen. But they did see a "consolidation" on my lungs and suggested getting a Cat Scan. I am like great, I have freakin Lung cancer. I have had plenty of chest xrays back in 2004 when my Lung collapsed and I had to have surgery to eventually repair it. So there was obiously a change noted.
A week later I get the CT chest and it is just a "benign" something . I forget. But no action required. The CT however did show the 6 broken ribs. My wife did apologize to me for calling me a"*****".

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm propped up in the lazy boy chair feeling sorry for myself so I decided to check out others that had broken ribs. It's encouraging to read that many of you were back on bikes in 2 weeks. I hope I'm so lucky.
I visably broke a rib yesterday while coughing! Spent 5 hours in the ER but to no avail. Not a whole lot they can do for ribs other than make sure you didn't puncture a lung. So I am having a pitty party because it doesn't look like I'll be riding my mountain bike for many months as I am also 71/2 months pregnant. I'm just hoping to be able to sleep, walk, and exist without horrible pain asap! last night I had to sleep sitting up and tonight looks to be more of the same.:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts