Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Manitou Black Elite 80-100 and I just upraded the spring from firm to Xtra firm as I am playing with new settings.

The firm was a little soft and now the new Xtra firm is just that: extra firm!

In my quick ride I cannot get full travel out of the new spring as it is so stiff in 100 mode.

Will the spring "break in" and soften up a bit? I feel like I am wanting a stiffness between the two spring levels.

If it does break in, how long should I expect the process to take?

Thanks!

Mr. P

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
A spring doesn't brake in like say a new shock does. It does however, over time, become softer due to the fatigue of the metal. How long that takes, who knows, years?

_MK

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
No, a spring is not going to break in. If you used a spring for a huge long time it could get noticeably softer, but usually a person wouldn't even keep the same bike that long.

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Is there some sort or preload on the fork? Either a knob that you turn or an air valve? There has to be something. If you find such thing, throw your firm spring in there and play with the preload until you get your fork to feel right. Maybe your firm sping is aged, also, so you simply need a new firm spring.

_MK

·
Registered
981 Posts
Like the others said, it's not the spring that breaks-in in a new fork. It's the seals and bushings that do and that's why it's feel more plush after a month or so. Suspension springs are subject to fatigue, but that is over a long period of time (years).

The fork will feel firmer in the 100 setting because the spring is compressed when you reduce the travel, an unwanted coincidental "preload" your case.

Give the tech support crew a call at Manitou. Pretty helpful bunch. Been on the phone with them over the last week getting tips on setting up my Minute fork.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frankenbike said:
Give the tech support crew a call at Manitou. Pretty helpful bunch. Been on the phone with them over the last week getting tips on setting up my Minute fork.
I think I will ask tech support. Thanks for the idea :p I am used to getting better repsonses in these forums than when contacting the usual component companies. I forget that I can contact the company direct.

Mr. P

·
Registered
981 Posts
I usually seek help here before calling manufacturers too because sometimes customer support is not very helpful with bike companies.

However, I have found Marzocchi and Manitou tech phone support to be excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.