Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look for bargain and stock up when I see my fav tires go on sale. Question is, how long are new tires good for when stored in control environement provided that these tires were mfg'd within a year. I recently started to keep them sealed inside the large ziplock bag. Some of them are special purpose tire (winter studded) that I may not get to use the last batch for another 2-3 years or so.

Yes, if WWIII ever occurs (hope never!) I may not have enuff bread stored to keep me feeding for two weeks but I'll have enuff spare bike parts to keep me riding until I collect social security.:cornut:

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
I look for bargain and stock up when I see my fav tires go on sale. Question is, how long are new tires good for when stored in control environement provided that these tires were mfg'd within a year. I recently started to keep them sealed inside the large ziplock bag. Some of them are special purpose tire (winter studded) that I may not get to use the last batch for another 2-3 years or so.

Yes, if WWIII ever occurs (hope never!) I may not have enuff bread stored to keep me feeding for two weeks but I'll have enuff spare bike parts to keep me riding until I collect social security.:cornut:
I would say as long as there is no dryrot you should be okay. But, what do I know?;)

When are you coming back to State College. Let me know and we could do some riding.:thumbsup:

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was suppose to be out there last x-mas and new years holiday but I decided to not make the long drive when CO got big snow storm during that time period. Maybe this spring. I will give a shout out to PA/State College forum when I do. I will make sure I bring my geared susser. Last time when I was there I got frustrated riding my ss on endless rock garden at Roth Rock. Had a great time, though.

This winter has been no go in CO...way too much snow. Tires I stocked up on during last summer & fall has been collecting basement dust as a result. Even studded tires have been useless since snow is just too deep to ride on the trail. Can't even ride road bike since too much sand and snow on the shoulder of road.

I am curious as to what is the shelf life on modern mtb tires when they are stored away. Visually when I don't see crack, they are good to go?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
As long as storage is a warm/fairly humid place without direct sunlight and they could last decades.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeeEight said:
As long as storage is a warm/fairly humid place without direct sunlight and they could last decades.
D8 again!:thumbsup:

I got them stored in room temp with no sunlight but humidity is very low year around where Iive. Typically around 20% or less range. I did recently started to store them inside the large ziplock bag.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I still have original IRC tires on my 1983 Nishiki cresta touring bike. Always keep tires cool, in the shade and AWAY FROM ELECTRICAL MOTORS which make ozone and absolutely toast the tires. Probably should donate the cresta to some museum, its all original and one sweet steel road rider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.