Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi single freaks
I'm about to buy a new Thomson Elite X4. I'm 6'1 and using a large Zaskar, but I feel my 120mm Woodman stem too long. What extension should the new Thomson have? 110mm or 100mm?
;)
 

·
Welcome to the Gem...
Joined
·
811 Posts
try both. pick which is more comfortable. there's no magic number with this ****.

if 120 is too long, try 100. if 100 is too short, try 110.

it's a black science, requiring much trial and error ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man
The problem is that I will order the stem from other country and this things are expensive on this side of the atlantic, plus I'm a student so the money is short for mistakes.
 

·
Welcome to the Gem...
Joined
·
811 Posts
well... go with the 100mm...

if it's too short... what's 10mm? bah

i'm 6-4 and use a 90mm. i just like to be more sitting up, as opposed to laying down.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
110 would be the safest bet, but i think you would be fine with 100 too. is there anyway you can borrow a friends stem in 110 or 100 to try on your bike/bar setup for a ride or two?
 

·
(Ali)
Joined
·
782 Posts
My probably the only strong bike opinion has something to do with stem change. (I've written about it a hundred times here. :) )

I am almost 6' (178cm for the other side of the Atlantic :) )I went from 120 to 90 and loved it. The bicycle became very stable! Similar experiences in a Mountain Bike Action magazine review as well. So, go with 100mm. :)

Ali
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, I'm 186cm. I'm not very familiar with feets and all, so I'm not sure if I'm really 6'1 or more...
Thanks for all the help! Tomorow i'l try to steal a 110mm Kore from one of my friends. Wish me luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this morning I tried a 110mm stem. The true is that I didnt feel very difrent. But afterall the stem had a very confortable extension.
Status: Really dont know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Ze_Zaskar said:
Well, this morning I tried a 110mm stem. The true is that I didnt feel very difrent. But afterall the stem had a very confortable extension.
Status: Really dont know...
Do you have another bike that you are comfortable with, if so, measure the top tube and stem, then add them together. Now measure the top tube of the Zaskar. Take the total measurement on the comfortable bike subtract it from the Zaskars top tube length. BAM! :eek: that should be the approximate stem length you need.
Does that help, maybe not if this is you first bike?:rolleyes: Then it's trial and error.
 

·
artistic...
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
try diff. lengths w/ cheap stems. then you upgrade for the chi chi look (it makes no difference in riding).
fit is the most important thing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Good not to know English measurements,

Ze_Zaskar said:
By the way, I'm 186cm. I'm not very familiar with feets and all, so I'm not sure if I'm really 6'1 or more...
Thanks for all the help! Tomorow i'l try to steal a 110mm Kore from one of my friends. Wish me luck.

the metric system makes way more sense.

Long top tube with a short stem is a good way to go.
I'm 5' 10" riding a large frame with 90mm stem and it feels way more moto than a medium with a 120mm stem.
 

·
artistic...
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
the metric system makes way more sense.

Long top tube with a short stem is a good way to go.
I'm 5' 10" riding a large frame with 90mm stem and it feels way more moto than a medium with a 120mm stem.
i like 135 stems. have no problem. i am 5 9 and ride bikes w/ 22.25in top tubes and 135 stems. in fact my favourite bike has a midge/ drop bar and a 40º 135 stem.
big bikes don't cut it for me. YMMV.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top