Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of custom wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles last Wednesday (12/9). At the time of the order, all of the parts were in stock. (they still are) I paid with paypal, got my reciept, and that was it. I have not heard anything from them yet. When I paid it said you could login to your account on there site to view the status of your order. I tried to do that, but it said my e-mail address was already registered there, yet I have never done so. It is however the same address my paypal uses, so it probably created it for me. However, when I do the "forgot your password" thing, it never sends the e-mail to me so I can login.

I have tried to contact them on both [email protected] and customerservice[email protected] I have sent multiple e-mails to both asking about how to get into my account, and have not ever received a single response from either. I have also tried to call at least 5 times since the order, and the phone is always busy.

It is now Friday (12/18) and I have not received the wheels, nor any correspondence from them. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait before I file a paypal claim and get my money back?

BTW, mods, if this is the wrong place for this post I apologize. It seemed best to put it here as I figure other people here have ordered wheels from CRC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
24v said:
I ordered a set of custom wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles last Wednesday (12/9). At the time of the order, all of the parts were in stock. (they still are) I paid with paypal, got my reciept, and that was it. I have not heard anything from them yet. When I paid it said you could login to your account on there site to view the status of your order. I tried to do that, but it said my e-mail address was already registered there, yet I have never done so. It is however the same address my paypal uses, so it probably created it for me. However, when I do the "forgot your password" thing, it never sends the e-mail to me so I can login.

I have tried to contact them on both [email protected] and [email protected] I have sent multiple e-mails to both asking about how to get into my account, and have not ever received a single response from either. I have also tried to call at least 5 times since the order, and the phone is always busy.

It is now Friday (12/18) and I have not received the wheels, nor any correspondence from them. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait before I file a paypal claim and get my money back?

BTW, mods, if this is the wrong place for this post I apologize. It seemed best to put it here as I figure other people here have ordered wheels from CRC.
Give it some time. I ordered a prebult set from them last sunday and they just left the country yesterday. With a custom built you usually need to add another 4-5 days to normal shipping times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
I had a similar problem with my CRC account when I made the first order using paypal. I always had email response in 1-2 days and a wheel or wheelset in 1-1.5 weeks. I have made 3-4 orders for custom built wheels there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
denjen said:
Give it some time. I ordered a prebult set from them last sunday and they just left the country yesterday. With a custom built you usually need to add another 4-5 days to normal shipping times
Understood. What is a "normal shipping time" from CRC to California? I have never ordered something from them, or anyone in Europe for that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alex_k said:
I always had email response in 1-2 days
I guess this is the part that bothers me the most. Everyone says that as far as I can find from searches. Yet I have not been able to get a single response in 9 days? I have e-mailed them from 3 e-mail addresses of mine, and sent e-mail to 2 of theirs, so I am pretty sure at least a few have gotten there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
24v said:
Understood. What is a "normal shipping time" from CRC to California? I have never ordered something from them, or anyone in Europe for that matter.
From their site

Build time on custom-built wheels is usually between 2 and 5 days depending on how busy we are. custom-built wheels are not available for guaranteed next day delivery.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=7599

This is the first time I have ever ordered from them. But from other people I know delivery from CRC usually does not take much longer than if you ordered from with in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
24v said:
I guess this is the part that bothers me the most. Everyone says that as far as I can find from searches. Yet I have not been able to get a single response in 9 days? I have e-mailed them from 3 e-mail addresses of mine, and sent e-mail to 2 of theirs, so I am pretty sure at least a few have gotten there.
maybe obvious but did you check your spam box... sometimes i forget that i have it
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Should have ordered from bicycle wheel warehause the one that advertises here on mtbr I ordered a set last week friday and they were in my office this morning. All the way to Hawaii!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ae111black said:
Should have ordered from bicycle wheel warehause the one that advertises here on mtbr I ordered a set last week friday and they were in my office this morning. All the way to Hawaii!
If they sold the wheels I wanted I would have been glad to. It was actually the first place I looked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
did it specify what postal service they would be shipped from? With the faster one, I ordered a crank on a Friday and it showed up on my door the next Monday (CA), With the slower one, orders have taken about a week. Seems like 2 weeks from time of your order would be reasonable this time of year for build and shipment.

If you're really worried about it, call them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stevesbike said:
did it specify what postal service they would be shipped from? With the faster one, I ordered a crank on a Friday and it showed up on my door the next Monday (CA), With the slower one, orders have taken about a week. Seems like 2 weeks from time of your order would be reasonable this time of year for build and shipment.

If you're really worried about it, call them.
24v said:
I have also tried to call at least 5 times since the order, and the phone is always busy.
As for the shipping, it was the slower one. Whichever is free when you spend over $244.
 

·
ups and downs
Joined
·
15,600 Posts
You're also in the middle of Christmas mail rush season (anything after Dec 7th internationally), the post offices in North America and the customs clearance bottlenecks are in full force. That's likely to add at least a week once it arrives in North America.

On the CRC site your account log in is at the upper right corner beside the Basket and Wish List labeled My Account), then click your recent order history or view your orders, you'll log in again and you can look at the invoice which will either have the shipping reference number or will say its in progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rockyuphill said:
On the CRC site your account log in is at the upper right corner beside the Basket and Wish List labeled My Account), then click your recent order history or view your orders, you'll log in again and you can look at the invoice which will either have the shipping reference number or will say its in progress.
I get that, but I don't have the password because I never created the account. It must have auto created it when I used paypal as this is my first order with them. When I try to get the pass sent to my e-mail, nothing comes.
 

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Give them some time. This time of year, everything will be a litte delayed. I believe at some point over the summer, CRC had even stopped taking custom wheel orders because they were swamped with them. They have the best prices, and a lot of people are going to them for wheelsets.

If good customer service was your priority, you should have spent a little more and gone with a local wheel builder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ncfisherman said:
Give them some time. This time of year, everything will be a litte delayed. I believe at some point over the summer, CRC had even stopped taking custom wheel orders because they were swamped with them. They have the best prices, and a lot of people are going to them for wheelsets.

If good customer service was your priority, you should have spent a little more and gone with a local wheel builder.
I wasn't looking for anything more than response to one e-mail. I don't care how good you are, or how cheap your prices are, one e-mail over 10 days is not too much to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the wheels showed up today, and they look great. So, here is how I would rate CRC.
Pricing- A+
Quality of wheel build- A+
Customer Service- F-

I am not sure if I will buy from them again or not. I REALLY like their pricing, website design, and amount of stuff in stock. However, the inability to reach them is very disheartening.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top