Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 750 miles / 1200km out of mine. A little surprised. I haven’t really seen any poor weather. Lube the chain (Squirt wax) after every ride, yet I was at 0.75% wear already. I was actually intending to replace at 0.5 as SRAM suggest but missed that marker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Yeti SB4.5
79 Posts
Longer than I was able to get out of the GX chain that came with my bike. Replaced with X01 chain. Over 1000 miles and not even close to needing replacement yet. Seems to be twice the price, but over twice the miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm interesting. I installed another GX but if this goes again in the same number of miles I’m switching.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I got 750 miles / 1200km out of mine. A little surprised. I haven't really seen any poor weather. Lube the chain (Squirt wax) after every ride, yet I was at 0.75% wear already. I was actually intending to replace at 0.5 as SRAM suggest but missed that marker!

another recent thread confirms the advice on this. GX lasts ~800miles. X01 lasts much longer.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Longer than I was able to get out of the GX chain that came with my bike. Replaced with X01 chain. Over 1000 miles and not even close to needing replacement yet. Seems to be twice the price, but over twice the miles.
Your response doesn't quite seem to answer OP's question. Your GX chain lasts longer than the stock GX chain that you replaced with X01?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got 825 miles on my first chain, and 750 miles on my second chain. Both were GX.

I use the cheap Park Tool CC-3.2 tool to measure and replace the chain once it hits .5%. However I've read mixed reviews as to the accuracy of the tool, and I only check the length once every month or two. So I'm not super exact.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I got 825 miles on my first chain, and 750 miles on my second chain. Both were GX.

I use the cheap Park Tool CC-3.2 tool to measure and replace the chain once it hits .5%. However I've read mixed reviews as to the accuracy of the tool, and I only check the length once every month or two. So I'm not super exact.
I had already 4 tools of 4 different brands and all of them showed me a different measurement.
One of them by a company called BBB showed me almost 0,50% on new chains lol
Now I use a ZTTO tool which is a cheaper copy of Park Tools CC-2.
So far it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I had already 4 tools of 4 different brands and all of them showed me a different measurement.
One of them by a company called BBB showed me almost 0,50% on new chains lol
Now I use a ZTTO tool which is a cheaper copy of Park Tools CC-2.
So far it seems to work fine.
If 4 brands gave you 4 different results, what makes brand #5 to be considered accurate?
"so far works fine" could also apply to the 1st one, then the 2nd one.....etc.

What about the ZTTO has you convinced?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Might be the Lube ????

I use Rock and Roll Gold and was considering using Squirt, after reading the these test results (click on links at bottom of article) it seems that Squirt and Smooth lubes are very viscus and have problems getting into the rollers due to the tight tolerances on 11 and 12 speed chains.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Spin Cycle, thanks for the link, very interesting. A big take-out is that the chain should be cleaned after the first ride, it's initial break-in.

My conclusion from a quick read about Squirt, is that it works great once the chain has some wear. So, one could clean the chain after the first ride, then lube with ???, then after ~25% wear, lube with Squirt

Did you read his review about Rock and Roll Gold? It's also far from perfect, but in different ways (and he debunks the manuf claims the lubing the chain cleans it). According to his testing the Squirt lubed chain will last longer (3670km vs 3460 for RnR.G)

More reading is required!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've got the fancy Park tool, they recommend replacing 11 and 12 speed at 0.5% instead of the usual 0.75%. My last chain (11spd) was a little noisy and measured beyond the limits after only 600 miles so I replaced it. But I measured my new chain and it was at 0.5% out of the box! From now on I'm going to measure any new chain and use that number as the baseline for stretch. I don't trust the absolute measurement anymore.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Adding more data, I had measured my chain at about 0.34% after only ~120 miles!:madmax:

As usual, I have to state that I'm very heavy (270# naked) and put a lot of force on my bike.

Changed to a X01 chain, let's see how long this is going to last. Planning to rotate 3 chains.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Was getting 400-500 km out of xt chains on my 11 speed. Running 30/32 rings over the time frames.

Got 950km out of my gx eagle.
Running 34/36 rings over the time frames.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.