Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After generally having light XC bikes and trail bikes and never keeping them for more than a year esp, the last two six months each, this time with my 'burlier' gemini 2000 04 can't see me getting rid of it for a few years, I want it to show the scars of a properly used FR bike.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Depends who you talk to. Some keep them for only a few months others keep them for years.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Depends who you talk to. Some keep them for only a few months others keep them for years.
Me: One for 2months and the current for about 7months and it all depends on how much i wanna race next year if i get one (i can also take full advantage of EP pricing now)

Normal: probably 2 years

-TS

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Last one I had for about 7months and this one for about 2months as of now and will probably last another year since its an 04.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Since I built my bike from the ground up I don't change the bike, I change components/frame I keep what it feels good to me and change what breaks or I want to upgrade.
There is no time-line for me.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'll probably keep my bike for a while. I got it like a year ago. it's a kona stinky. i'll probably keep it until i put all the upgrades on it, dangerboy plates, super t, already have an mrp, fox dhx, etc. if i like it i'll keep it. i'll probably have it for like 3 years.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I bought my Bullit used in 02, before that, it saw a season as a rental bike in Moab doing runs down Porcupine Rim.
I've been riding it hard since then.
I'll ride it into the ground.
There are some tiny cracks developing where the shock mount welds to the downtube. Can't tell if it's paint cracking or something worse.
Did the 12 hours of downhill yesterday at Big Bear... after 11 runs the cracks didn't get bigger. *gulp
I'm 240lbs and have put this bike through hell. Got my money's worth on this one.
I'll likely purchase another bullit too.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
i've only had my mono for almost a year, but plan on keeping it untill it breaks, even if that's 10 years away.....

my old khs was around for 4 years of abuse, it started to crack in the shock mount plates, so that's why the mono came along......

·
Registered
290 Posts
Forever

catnash said:
After generally having light XC bikes and trail bikes and never keeping them for more than a year esp, the last two six months each, this time with my 'burlier' gemini 2000 04 can't see me getting rid of it for a few years, I want it to show the scars of a properly used FR bike.
I'm going to keep my Big Hit till I break the frame. She loves me an I love her. When she breaks I'm going to get a V10...

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
for the cash concious

since im only 17 and dont got much for the mula. and since you never know when you might need something im gona save never get rid of them. my friends dad has kept all his bikes he has ever owned and all of them are still ridable.( couple are a little sketchy tho) its nice to have spare parts or a beater bike for around town that you dont care if it gets stolen.(as much as your nice bike at least)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I know many, many people who have real nice bikes but sell them to get something newer or fancier, or a different color. WTF? They never really rode their old bikes, the new bike won't make them a better rider. You can't buy skills. There was no danger of the previous bike breaking from their "EXTREME BLACK DIAMOND " riding. :rolleyes:
All my years of riding, all my bikes, I never got a new bike unless I broke the one I had. Same thing with parts, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
If you DO ride hard then you should keep an eye on your bike and inspect it on a routine basis such as when you give it a thourough cleaning.

Nobody make a comment about my current status with bikes, that's different. :D

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i normally keep a build...

for about 1 to 1 1/2 years...depends on how much i like the bike and how much i like the new bikes...the longest time ive ever had a bike would have to be my ruckus and thats only because no one will buy the dam thing...ive had it for about 19 to 20 months...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.