Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my first race ever and they gave us these really nice number plates that are plastic.

I recall people proudly wearing their race t shirts that we get for free the week following the event... So I thought y not sport the plate for a bit?

Ironically I felt embarrassed doing it at first, kinda reminded me of some movie with a kid on his bmx bike that had a # plate for show.

However i have noticed on my training rides that I seem to get more respect from motorists I guess as I'm actually an athlete that races instead of annoying hipster cyclist lol.

Just wondering. The one currently on my bike will come off when the new one replaces it this weekend. If I was not racing seems like I would ride it for 2 weeks or when I got unlazy enough to find something to cut the zip ties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sometimes leave it on, but some events have better plates than others...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I never take off my number plate from first race of the season. Every race I go to after that when the promoter hands me a number plate at sign-up I politely say, "Just keep it I brought my own."

·
Registered
443 Posts
Comes off before I ride the bike again. I think it looks like your just trying to brag when you keep riding around with a race number.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I take mine off for the car ride home. I like to save them and don't want it blown off on drive home.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
I like to look around and find discarded ones from other riders and add them to my bike, even go to events im not in just to collect a few more, i'll keep putting them on my bike until theres no room left, then i'll start doubling up, think at last count i had 167 number plates on my bike, i think it looks pretty hard core, must admit it creates a bit of drag and adds weight, but those are the sacrifices you need to make if you want a bike like mine, personally i think they pull chicks too, ive even made up a few home made ones to add on too, and the advantage of that is you can put your own numbers on, like ones with lots of 8s, cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
I rarely pass a scorer on my way home after a race. Unless its an earned #1 plate remove it as soon as possible and tape it to your windshield just in case a race pops up on the way home.

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
this!

take it off when you get home... hang it in the man cave. never mount it again lol

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahaha man u guys are a bunch of Debbie Downers!!

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
It's too hard to resist... however... leave it on and it will be like falling on the ice, looking around to see if anyone witnessed the event and coming to realize... EVERYONE did!

Go with what floats your boat and don't pay any attention to what others think! (maybe not on this one tho!) haha enjoy the racing... and congrats on your fist race. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
It creates too much drag on training rides. You can always relocate it to your toptube to eliminate that problem.

Me? I have them strung up in my garage dating way back when. I write down my results on the back, and what race it was since not all plates have that info.

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Honestly you asked the question, that is not to far off from "should I run a kickstand at races"... Truth is, it is considered "bad form" by many to leave the number plate on for much more than 5 minutes after you leave a race. Having said that, I am not one to follow what is cool, or what others do, so if it makes you happy to ride around with it on, go for it. Just know that it may look cool for non cyclists, the other riders will look at you and they will look like post #4 in this thread...

Personally when the race plate goes on, I go into game face on, race mode. So when the race is over, it comes off, and the beer comes out. I do save them (write my lap times and position on the back, and any other notes, and keep them as my own personal trophy, because it will be a long time before I hit the podium).

Props to you for getting out there and racing in the first place :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I take it off as soon as I get home. I keep them in my home office in the basement so that when I'm working it helps cheer me up.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Wah-waaaah.

Me, I try to do what I can to not appear a pretentious douch-snozzle to my friends and acquaintances on casual or training rides. Now, if I have a bike specifically set up and used for racing, say in a weekly series, I might leave the plate on between races and ride my other bikes during the week.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts