Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have mixed feelings. Can't say I love short chain stay, slack head angle, and/or low bottom bracket. It's good for pedal striking uphill and I'm told it's better handling downhill. I like XC geometry better than downhill.... rider is more centered between axles and bb not to low... more ground clearance and easier to manual.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,871 Posts
I have mixed feelings. Can't say I love short chain stay, slack head angle, and/or low bottom bracket. It's good for pedal striking uphill and I'm told it's better handling downhill. I like XC geometry better than downhill.... rider is more centered between axles and bb not to low... more ground clearance and easier to manual.
Custom frame. Mic hits floor

With current pricing of production bikes being well over that of a custom it is easier than evar...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The last bike I bought was a 2012 Canyon Nerve (150mm front and back). I sold it in 2015 and have been absent from the sport since about 2013 due to moving to London UK and not being able to ride.
About 6 months ago I had the urge to dive back in and have been reading everything I can find and watching all the videos I can (from tech to skills). Finally picking up my Orbea Occam on Tuesday and will take it straight out. I tried to compare the geo on both bikes but they are incomparable. For someone who hasn't kept up to date for about 8 years it's staggering how much has changed.

So I have really no idea what to expect on my first ride on Tuesday. Will be going to the Surrey Hills which was my favourite place to ride!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
How long did it take to adjust to modern geometry?

Don’t ever adjust modern geometry. It’s adjusted itself and evolved over decades.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fun. Expect to have fun.
My god you were right.

My first run on my old favourite trail was slow (was very wet) and by the time I got to the bottom my palms had cramped up from how tightly I was gripping and amount I was braking and wasn't particularly fun. I climbed up to a trail that was much more flowy, lots of berms and few roots etc. It felt much better, I appreciated the rolling speed a lot and got a better feel for the bike. I rode it again immediately, much faster the second time.

The next trail I is a long (1.5km) flowy trail. Towards the end of that my confidence and understanding of the bike was sky high - I ended up with enough confidence to hit a root drop blind that I know I would have had to build up to on my old bike.

tldr; for me about 2 hours

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd been an avid road/cross/commuter for many years. Picked up my first mtb bike in many, many years last fall. It felt insanely weird for a few rides. Upright. Narrow bars. Huge tires. Dual suspension. Pedaling cadence. And then...just fine.

I have riser bars on my commuter and they were something like 620 mm wide. My mtb bike is something like 680 or 720. I'd mtb on the weekend, then commute on Monday...and the bars felt really narrow. Had to match the widths on both of them, now my commuter feels like my mtb bike:)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
I have riser bars on my commuter and they were something like 620 mm wide. My mtb bike is something like 680 or 720. I'd mtb on the weekend, then commute on Monday...and the bars felt really narrow. Had to match the widths on both of them, now my commuter feels like my mtb bike :)
Glad you didn’t choose to go the opposite direction. 😊

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
rode them fine before forks with what, a unicycle?
Should have clarified "suspension forks", however most got the drift of what I was implying.

Also, back in the day there were a few brave select riders who rode the Chico 24hrs Adrenalin on Unicycles....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Having come from a DH/FR background it wasn't as big of a strecth for me getting used to modern bikes.
What surprised me however was how hard I could ride my front end.
I mean like wow.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Richard Cunningham put it really well "Mountain biking has changed from an adventure sport into an excitement sport". He went on to say that it used to be about seeing how far you could get and what you could go find on trails that weren't designed for bikes.

When I look at older trails in my area, the adventure mindset makes a lot of sense. The adventure aspect seemed to be their goal, as many miles as possible with technical terrain to see how far you could get. This also explains why older members seem to frame this discussion around how they could ride the same old trails just fine on those old bikes.

I can see how a modern bike can take the challenge away from those older trails.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts