Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having come from old school 26'ers I figured the adjustment to my 2021 Stumpjumper would be at least few weeks.
Came home from the LBS, grabbed my gear and headed out.
I found the longer Handlebars made me more cautious in tight trees, but other than that It was quite an easy adjustment.
Oh, didn't use the Dropper much that first ride as I forgot about it.
I was at least expecting a few hurdles, but nope.

Anyone else find adjustment issues or is this the norm?

·
No known cure
4,386 Posts
I had a custom full sus frame built with "modern " geo in 2006 so it's what I was after. That was the first year I used a dropper post too. I ordered it with the shortest drop and still to this day hardly use it for trail riding. Only in the steeps when racing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I came from a Giant Talon and it took me a couple of weeks to adjust to my Ragley Big Al.

The dropper post was a learning experience but if you have one and you're not using it then either your trails are too mellow or you're a professional XC rider.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Had a medium frame, year 2000 Stumpjumper with rim brakes and 3x9 for several years.
I bought a used 2016 Stumpjumper FSR in 2016 on a Sunday. Wednesday I met for a group ride and PR'd one of the difficult hill climbs here. At the top while waiting for some of the group to catch up, I adjusted the handler bar position closer.... my shoulders were tiring from the 10 minute climb due to a slightly too far reach.

That same night we went down a steep hill that I'd only been down a part of on my the old bike (I did not know where it went and didn't want to get too far down as it was a 'carry your bike up' hill).
I wanted to let it rip while riding the FSR but I had no idea how aggressive a 29er with hydraulic disc brakes would be and/or when I'd lock up or go OTB.

A few rides in and setting up actual suspension and I had it dialed. The medium frame was so much roomier. Wider bars took time but were stable. I was higher off the ground, a little, but it felt right.
I think my adpation to 'modern geometry' was similar to adapting to a different bike. However after a few years, I purchased a 2019 Chameleon. After setting up the lever and bar positions, seat height and tilt, I was on my way. I blame that fast adpatation to having bicycle experience as the swapping between 2 bikes thing was pretty seamless right away. One of my first rides on the Chameleon was over some super chunk/loose babyhead field that washed away when you rode it. I had ridden it on the FSR before and knew what to expect, the Chameleon was totally fine being on it brand new.

I will say though, one of the best things was rolling over a small drop right after some ugly section of trail. Before that I'd check my speed to not get caught by surprise. On the FSR, the first time on that trail I realized I already hit the drop, didn't even know it was coming up! Bike was just too smooth with suspension that worked and having a longer front end whereas the old bike would nose dive right down into and felt like it wanted to throw me OTB.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I went from a 26" Giant Trance to a 27.5" Santa Cruz 5010 in 2015 then to my current 29" Santa Cruz V4 Tallboy in late 2020 and I never experienced problems. I can still hop on an older geometry bike and ride with no issues but, yes, the wider bars do make tight trees an issue, if only in my mind.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I came from a Giant Talon and it took me a couple of weeks to adjust to my Ragley Big Al.

The dropper post was a learning experience but if you have one and you're not using it then either your trails are too mellow or you're a professional XC rider.
I do use it but ya gotta remember these trails were there long before Droppers, FS, or even Forks.......and people still rode them fine.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I sorta bounced between retro and modern during my formative mtb'in years.

Rode a 2014 KHS Winslow to start with... didn't really know any different.

Thought 'this is mountain biking'!!

I outgrew bike fairly quickly.

Next bike was a 2014 Kona Process 134. Definitely an 'in the bike' type of steed.

Probably should've kept that one and done a fork upgrade, rather than sell it.

Then I went retro again i.e. a 2012 Transition Bandit 29.

Going from an in bike ride i.e. Process to an 'on top' ride i.e. Bandit - was very noticeable.

One of my quiver is a little more on top than inside than the others i.e. geo is a little dated when compared to the others.

Mullet overhaul has fixed that somewhat i.e. dropping BB, slackened HTA.

Is 160mm travel rig, which felt more like a long legged trail bike... now it's got some freeride attributes.

I can still remember the feel of my ole '98 Diamond Back Sorrento.

It was sold as a MTB.

But, damn!! It was like sitting on top of a spinning top. Geo was all FUBAR.

Thank Tane Mahuta for long, low and slack bikes!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,051 Posts
Just started riding a "new" geometry bike, replacing my old one. Handling is pretty intuitive. I do feel the difference on the flats with the more upright position, but again, it's all pretty intuitive. I'm able to hit all the stuff I did before, make all the climbs I did before, etc. Honestly, it's not a big difference going uphill. I think to a large extent, the steeper STs were making up for squatty kinematics designs that caused you to sag more into the travel, so if you were riding one of a few "old school" designs, the difference in pedaling/efficiency/going uphill isn't dramatic. But again, I'm finding the new geometry pretty intuitive.

Reactions: stripes

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
118 Posts
Once in a while I still forget to keep my weight forward/centered to keep traction on my front wheel when riding my long & slack hardtail. Coming from a 2012 Trek FS with a 70* HTA and obviously short reach.

-DS

·
Registered
719 Posts
Going to newer geometry felt great and was easy; only issue is bashing the ends of the bars if I get careless.

Going back to the older geometry is a hard adjustment for me; the bike feels nervous and unstable.

My "newer" geometry is still mild by modern standards.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts

Buys second bike, knows everything.

Got any videos of these local trails that you think require a dropper?

LOL

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Sure, look up World Cup and World Championships coverage from Smithfield Australia on Red Bull TV.
How about a link to something specific?

The trails in these vids all predate droppers by a decade or two and are what passes for 'XC' around here. We built a lot of this stuff back in the late 90's/early 2000s. Makes me laugh when newbs declare you now have to have some certain piece of equipment or you can't ride them.

Not saying droppers can't be useful/convenient, or that a lot of people don't like them, but if you think no one can ride anything beyond mellow XC without one, you simply have no clue what you're talking about.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Buys second bike, knows everything.

Got any videos of these local trails that you think require a dropper?

LOL
He did say specifically that if you have one on your bike and are not using it then there's something amiss. Yeah, I used to ride all manner of nasty trails without a dropper, but it was always a very sketchy experience and I got gut punched by the saddle enough times that I now consider the dropper to be almost a requirement.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
He did say specifically that if you have one on your bike and are not using it then there's something amiss.
Meh. I'm just really not a big fan of fiddling with **** while I ride.
I only use my dropper in spots where I would've actually stopped and used my QR in the old days. On many if not most rides, that's none. I probably don't shift enough for some people either.
🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 153 Posts