Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
As long as there's wet/muddy conditions and hilly terrain they'll be disc brakes. I've ridden canti, V, and disc. Each has it's place to shine. A move back in '99 to discs sure made things nicer for me compared to even XT V-brakes in the muck. I prefer being able to stop. ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, I agree...in slop conditions I am sure they rule (discs). However, forcing people to swallow three times the cost to gain nearly a pound in weight just to be fashionable is where I draw the line. I just came back from a nearly 5 year break from being involved in the industry and I'm not real wild about the turns the sport has taken. Some of the people involved in the sport look like they walked out of a UFC commercial and are just as big of a dick. lol

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
I'm still on my Formula Evo's from back in '99. They work well for me, and often you can find some very cheap disc setups on eBay/etc. For many though V's are just fine. I'd imagine that the costs of offering frames/forks setup to use discs or V's is prohibitive, and you'd certainly have people unhappy that provisions were there for whichever system they chose not to use, lol.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, I agree. My v's for now are setup sweet...they do well for me and I really am enjoying my hardtail again. It's very much about enjoying being out there and my bike is disc compatible both front and rear...it's just tough to shell out nearly 1000 bucks to get new wheels, levers, rotors, etc. I run everything XTR now and to get that level in disc it would cost me a ton. When I convert, I will likely just get a new bike.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Linear pull V-brakes have enough stopping power in pretty much any conditions, unless you are into downhill racing.

That said - any new bike i get will get disks. But I would not "upgrade" an existing ride.

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
I was going to upgrade my ride to V brakes but the frame builder wanted too much money to weld the posts so those XTR V's will continue to sit in the spare parts bin for a few more years. Besides the parachute mount works just fine thank you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the better question than when will discs disappear is when can I get a set of sti hydraulic lever/ shifter combo for my road bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if Disc or some variation of it will ever penetrate road riding...I cant imagine there being much of a need for it though.

·
monster member
1,053 Posts
V-brakes were good enough for me in xc riding, even in muddy conditions. But they loaded up with snow, and also I wasn't happy to have to replace a set of rims because my V-brakes wore out the sidewalls so much from the mud rides. The sidewall of the rim was actually expanding from the air pressure of the tube pressing against it after it was ground so thin.

Granted, it took a few years to wear them out like that, and we used to run 50psi back in those days. But it's nice that rims seem to last forever with discs.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
cbx said:
Yeah, I wonder if Disc or some variation of it will ever penetrate road riding...I cant imagine there being much of a need for it though.

there would
be so much more rotating weight, the left side spoke would have to be laced at least 2x if not 3 in stead of radial,and the weight of the rotor, entire wheelsets only weigh 800g now(Lew),and how much does that rotor add? and both calipers are under 200g for road bikes too.yea, think about it.

the only exceptions i can think of is the Red Bull DH Road race where they did use avid bb7s, and maybe one person used them for the paris-roubaix,maybe.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
IAmtnbikr said:
Well, there are discs on cross bikes already.
And the CX assoc just banned them from races. CX is where disks would shine, but slowing would mean less mud spray. And we all know CX riders live for mud.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
On brake types:

1. Vantage style brakes will barely stop a cyclocross bike under normal conditions. They're typically considered "drag" brakes, but they're accepted because you don't really "stop" on a cross bike. You just slow down (as little as possible) and hit the ground running. Still, dangerous.

2. Properly set up "U" Brakes will provide more acceptable stopping power for most conditions, most of the time.

3. Cantis, if set up properly, can provide more than ample stopping power, for most types of riding. Lightest option.

4. "V" brakes take the tricky setup out of cantis, and by moving the trajectories and the leverage rates, give you a more predictable action.

5. "Rollercam" brakes are more powerful yet, mount on larger, stiffer studs, ensure stiffer boss positioning on stays, and have the most adjustability in power/modulation. Expensive to acquire.

6. Magura Hydro Rim brakes. As powerful as rollercams. Heavy. No maintenance required. Even the pads last years and years.
7. Mechanical Discs. More powerful still, and you can use whatever lightweight levers you want. A hell of a lot cheaper than:

7. "Togglecam" brakes are still light, but are pure power, and are virtually indiscernable from hydro disc brakes while riding. The most rare and expensive brakes ever. If you don't have them already, you can pretty much forget about ever owning a set. Save yourself about a thousand bucks and get:
8. Hydro Discs. All the power you want, all the weight you don't.

Pick what works for ya.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts