Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,976 Posts
Axis II said:
OK, I guess discs be the greatest afterall. Here's a picture of a weak and heavy V-brake.
Nice road bike.

I guess it's time to upgrade the 12" discs on my car to drums, cause discs just aint all that.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
006_007 said:
This has got to be one of the funniest threads I have read since some of the classic nino/malol "discussions" :thumbsup:
You sir, have the right spirit of things around here. I, for one, miss those Nino/Malol threads. If you want another funny thread check out the feller who modified his walmart saddle with a blowtorch from a few days ago- the best.:thumbsup:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Jayem said:
Nice road bike.

I guess it's time to upgrade the 12" discs on my car to drums, cause discs just aint all that.
Thanks!:thumbsup: Here's another pic since you like it so much but generally road bikes don't have suspension forks. I like the suspension anyway for those occasional potholes. I like to show this pic often because I know DirtBoy gets very jealous of the color scheme and the fork especially.

Attachments

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Axis II said:
Thanks!:thumbsup: Here's another pic since you like it so much but generally road bikes don't have suspension forks. I like the suspension anyway for those occasional potholes. I like to show this pic often because I know DirtBoy gets very jealous of the color scheme and the fork especially.
AGGHHHHHHH!! THAT FORK!

I don't mind that bike. Just that Fugly fork! Ok, so the color are a bit much but who cares. Otherwise it's a nice build.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Axis II said:
If you want another funny thread check out the feller who modified his walmart saddle with a blowtorch from a few days ago- the best.:thumbsup:
That has too be on the of the BEST post here yet! OMFG! :eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Axis II said:
OK, I guess discs be the greatest afterall. Here's a picture of a weak and heavy V-brake.
Though obviously with those cables that bike is just an exercise in cosmetics (though you have very strange taste to put such a fork on an exercise in cosmetics). Don't see therefore why we should pay any attention to your opinions on functionality.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,976 Posts
Axis II said:
Well, mountain bikes generally have tires with knobs.

Does your car have no rear shock absorbers either?

·
1 bike per day + 1 or 2
264 Posts
Well I see knobs on the tires and in this thread. :p

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Jayem said:
Well, mountain bikes generally have tires with knobs.

Does your car have no rear shock absorbers either?
I have heard of those new-fangled off road bikes with them fancy rear shocks. I decided to get me one. Here she is.

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
chrism said:
Though obviously with those cables that bike is just an exercise in cosmetics (though you have very strange taste to put such a fork on an exercise in cosmetics). Don't see therefore why we should pay any attention to your opinions on functionality.
Well, then I will remove the gun that I am holding to your head that forces you to log onto MTBR and read the thread that I have started here. You say cosmetics, I say podium finisher. Oh yeah, I'm all that. I'll stack the Fournales up against any fork out there right now AND IT WILL WIN on any measure you care to pay attention to. Clearly it's the best looking fork....no question.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Axis II said:
I have heard of those new-fangled off road bikes with them fancy rear shocks. I decided to get me one. Here she is.
Now THAT"S a nice bike. Not to keen on the cranks, but what a beautiful bike!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
DIRT BOY said:
Now THAT"S a nice bike. Not to keen on the cranks, but what a beautiful bike!
The cranks really don't don't fit. You are right about that, but they just work so well, are so light, etc., etc.... I just can't justify 800USD for something like the Power Arms. The other alternatives are too heavy or too flexy. I've given some thought to maybe stripping these down to go with the shiney theme. I dunno. The Middleburns with a blue spider might look OK but then that's a bit of a weight penalty there......I dunno. Recommendations?

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
V brakes are a good choice for low end bikes, and die hard weight weenie freaks!!

Once you try discs there's no going back!

Choice is good though, building up a commuter, or a $500 hardtail, V is the way.

For hardcore XC and beyond, Disco!

Personally, I'd rather ride a 25lb bike that can get me down a mtn, through a rock garden, handle some tech moves, than a 17lb noodle!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
glenzx said:
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go.....

And for reality based comparison, DIRT BOY, would be so kind as to give us a practical, lightweight head-to-head pair of specs?

Say Extralite brakes, levers, and good cables/hardware vs. a comparable bling disk system, like a NoTubes Marta set-up with aluminum Rotors...? Well, i know a 160mm rotor Stans/Marta SL system, front and rear, is right at 600 grams +/- a gram or two.

And what...? say 320 +/- for a similarly sweet, strong, light v-brake system?

No question, when one can save almost 300 grams, that v's can be lighter...

OkeyDokey then. So for a pure weight savings set-up, these v's would win. So then, it's just a matter of selecting what one likes, and/or needs based on ones own demands/desires. Even if one is a total poser compared to more hardcore, cool, "real" riders like one might find right here, in this thread.

:rolleyes:
Here you go Mr. hardcore, real rider.

Ultrabrakes- 190g (F&R with pads and minor tuning)
KCNC Levers- 46g for two, I think?
PowerCordz- 10g F&R
I-link Housing- 50g or so for a 17 inch frame, maybe less

296 grams and more power then I need mostly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Axis II said:
Well, then I will remove the gun that I am holding to your head that forces you to log onto MTBR and read the thread that I have started here. You say cosmetics, I say podium finisher. Oh yeah, I'm all that. I'll stack the Fournales up against any fork out there right now AND IT WILL WIN on any measure you care to pay attention to. Clearly it's the best looking fork....no question.
No comment on your cables just being there for cosmetics though (since they're heavier than boring old Shimano)?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well I will say one thing for sure. I have a five year old frameset that is disc compatible as well as my fork...but I have ZERO intention of putting disc on this ride. It serves me quite well in my climate and quite frankly, the industry as a whole is evolving into something I'm not that wild about. FORCING folks to gain weight on their bikes to "fit in" and pay more to enjoy the sport is absurd. I attest disc has it's advantages over rim brakes, and I can see the writing on the wall. BUT, for some MX punk in a shop to tell me to spend a grand to upgrade to disc is ridiculous, and even more so to have an ever decreasing supply of parts to maintain my beloved ride. We should be able to upgrage at will and not worry about being able to buy quality parts because the sport has been hijacked by 20ft drops and full face helmets. - rant over

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
cbx said:
and even more so to have an ever decreasing supply of parts to maintain my beloved ride. We should be able to upgrage at will and not worry about being able to buy quality partsr

thats the part i worry about the most. im custom building myself a wheelset for my Classic Steel Gunnar HT, that doesnt even have disc mounts, and my only choices for light rims are stans 355, and sun EQ21. TWO OPTIONS!?!?

maybe i should buy 4 extra rims for the long haul, i might not be able to get them in 3 years otherwise. the 29er guys will be fine,as a stout road bike rim will work great for them,their only problem is post mount forks.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts