Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Axis II said:
Yes. Thanks for making the ceramic point. My CrossMax ceramic rims are my go-to rims when I'll be in the wet. I have no "wetness issues" there so you are correct on that score. Re: DirtyBoy, he's just afraid we'll put more nails in the disc brake coffin!:p This seems odd to me because he's my V-brake "pusher" selling those sexy Ultrabrakes and now the KCNC brakes, I think? Yes, it has been slow around here. My god, almost 600 hits on this tired subject in less then a day? Madness. Nino must be in the Italian alps again.
LOL! :D

Watch, 2-3 years and everyone will be on disc except for the retro-grouches.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
cutthroat said:
Who needs brakes anyway? Brakes just slow you down.
good point.....especially disc brakes, since they weigh about two or three times as much as v-brakes

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:
good point.....especially disc brakes, since they weigh about two or three times as much as v-brakes
You better buy a scale. :rolleyes: :nono: :madman:

·
Registered
790 Posts
No brakes!

Definately the lightest option! LOL, I have visions of Fred Flintstone, and braking by dragging my feet on the ground.
I believe in a lightweight bike, but not when it compromises perfromance. I have V-brakes on my rigid SS, where I value simplicity above all else-this bike by nature is lighter than my Racer X, and is faster for short rolling rides with the right gear ratio. But a four hour plus ride in the high mountains, or the a marathon race like the Firecracker 50, and the Racer X (full suspension and disc brakes, sub 24 lbs) is the way faster bike.
Certainly there exist riding conditons where v brakes will be adequate, but there are many XC conditions where disc brakes will be faster, more reliable, even considering a 1/2 lb weight penalty.
BTW, anyone who thinks that disc brakes are harder to set up and maintain thenb Vees, does not have the requisite experience with disc brake setup. A properly setup disc requires no maintenance, just dropping in new pads occsionally, and a fluid change, pehaps once a season. Compared to cleaning cables, lubing, cleaning pivot points, and rim braking surfaces, and readjusting pads, disc brake maintenance is nil.
I would suggest that folks choose brakes according to their preferences, but a dogged, near religious conviction that V brakes are superior to discs for XC use, suggests that the holder of such a conviction may need to try something new.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
You better buy a scale. :rolleyes: :nono: :madman:
maybe not 3 times as heavy, but at least twice as heavy. I can tell just by holding them in my hand at the local shop....i dont need scale to tell me what i already know.

i have some hills that are up to a mile long so i know about DHing.....and i have yet to see the need for lame expensive disc brakes so you guys ride what you like...whatever

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:
maybe not 3 times as heavy, but at least twice as heavy. I can tell just by holding them in my hand at the local shop....i dont need scale to tell me what i already know.

i have some hills that are up to a mile long so i know about DHing.....and i have yet to see the need for lame expensive disc brakes so you guys ride what you like...whatever
Again get a scale dipstick!

You don't weight just the brakes. Add cables, levers, etc. Also Disc hubs are now lighter on some models.

Not counting Extralite or KCNC combos, Disc brakes are only 100-150g heavier and better power, modualtion, etc. The Extralite combo will also cost you more than the top disc brakes.

We had this disccusssion/compariosn months ago. Search the archives.

For some discs are better and some v-brakes. Even it flat Florida I prefer discs.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
006_007 said:
This has got to be one of the funniest threads I have read since some of the classic nino/malol "discussions" :thumbsup:

Yup.....

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Again get a scale dipstick!

You don't weight just the brakes. Add cables, levers, etc. Also Disc hubs are now lighter on some models.

Not counting Extralite or KCNC combos, Disc brakes are only 100-150g heavier and better power, modualtion, etc. The Extralite combo will also cost you more than the top disc brakes.

We had this disccusssion/compariosn months ago. Search the archives.

For some discs are better and some v-brakes. Even it flat Florida I prefer discs.
no need to use mean-spirited words with me. and seriously, i can roll down a flight of about 6 or 7 steps at my local park with my v-brakes and have no problem. i guarantee that is more extreme than hills you are riding with your disc brakes.

if you want to believe the hype of disc brakes be my guest, but the biking mags wont convince me any time soon.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go.....

And for reality based comparison, DIRT BOY, would be so kind as to give us a practical, lightweight head-to-head pair of specs?

Say Extralite brakes, levers, and good cables/hardware vs. a comparable bling disk system, like a NoTubes Marta set-up with aluminum Rotors...? Well, i know a 160mm rotor Stans/Marta SL system, front and rear, is right at 600 grams +/- a gram or two.

And what...? say 320 +/- for a similarly sweet, strong, light v-brake system?

No question, when one can save almost 300 grams, that v's can be lighter...

OkeyDokey then. So for a pure weight savings set-up, these v's would win. So then, it's just a matter of selecting what one likes, and/or needs based on ones own demands/desires. Even if one is a total poser compared to more hardcore, cool, "real" riders like one might find right here, in this thread.

:rolleyes:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:
no need to use mean-spirited words with me. and seriously, i can roll down a flight of about 6 or 7 steps at my local park with my v-brakes and have no problem. i guarantee that is more extreme than hills you are riding with your disc brakes.

if you want to believe the hype of disc brakes be my guest, but the biking mags wont convince me any time soon.
Not mean spirited, just in jest :thumbsup:. But know what you are talking about before arguing.

Uh, I think we have some terrain than worse than 6-7 steps :rolleyes:.
Actually some parks here has some VERY STEEP decent size hills. Short, but very steep. Add wet weather and tons of mud....good luck....:eek:

More for wet weather here and MUD! Nothing to do with mags, but my OWN experience.

BTW: I don't read bike mags. I just browse through them for new products.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
glenzx said:
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go.....

And for reality based comparison, DIRT BOY, would be so kind as to give us a practical, lightweight head-to-head pair of specs?

Say Extralite brakes, levers, and good cables/hardware vs. a comparable bling disk system, like a NoTubes Marta set-up with aluminum Rotors...? Well, i know a 160mm rotor Stans/Marta SL system, front and rear, is right at 600 grams +/- a gram or two.

And what...? say 320 +/- for a similarly sweet, strong, light v-brake system?

No question, when one can save almost 300 grams, that v's can be lighter...

OkeyDokey then. So for a pure weight savings set-up, these v's would win. So then, it's just a matter of selecting what one likes, and/or needs based on ones own demands/desires. Even if one is a total poser compared to more hardcore, cool, "real" riders like one might find right here, in this thread.

:rolleyes:
We did this like months ago.:rolleyes:

Top V-brakes vs. the lightest discs. Both had to be reliable and truly race worthy. The v-brakes came to 125-175g lighter. That it!

No way for me with the mud/rain around here at times. Hydros cannot be beat for smoothness. Wheel out of true? No worries...

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Not mean spirited, just in jest :thumbsup:. But know what you are talking about before arguing.

Uh, I think we have some terrain than worse than 6-7 steps :rolleyes:.
Actually some parks here has some VERY STEEP decent size hills. Short, but very steep. Add wet weather and tons of mud....good luck....:eek:

More for wet weather here and MUD! Nothing to do with mags, but my OWN experience.

BTW: I don't read bike mags. I just browse through them for new products.
Dirt Boy.....your words have been very hurtful. You have proven to be even more insenstive than that jerk Aquaholic. I have since reported you to the moderators who will likely have you arrested. I will also not be surprised if they ban you from mtbr and frankly, are likely to ban you from the entirety of the internet

And as for local riding, here is an example of truly aggro riding which I do belive warrants disc brakes. This is extreme and I dont recommend this to the children at home. For more check out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319074

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
We did this like months ago.

Top V-brakes vs. the lightest discs. Both had to be reliable and truly race worthy. The v-brakes came to 125-175g lighter. That it!

No way for me with the mud/rain around here at times. Hydros cannot be beat for smoothness. Wheel out of true? No worries...
I figured that'd be the case - but search as I may, couldn't find a good, real-world comparo in Save Some Weight...

Is it too bothersome to ask for a link? Sounds like good stuff....

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Awww fer christ sake, I am laughin my a$$ off now. This is some serious funny ****. Adding this to my sig for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Faux Part Deux said:
Dirt Boy.....your words have been very hurtful. You have proven to be even more insenstive than that jerk Aquaholic. I have since reported you to the moderators who will likely have you arrested. I will also not be surprised if they ban you from mtbr and frankly, are likely to ban you from the entirety of the internet

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
I knew once I threatened you with the almighty MTBR moderators you would be scared straight! All hail to the Dungeon Masters of our great big MTBR Dungeon and Dragons game.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:
I knew once I threatened you with the almighty MTBR moderators you would be scared straight! All hail to the Dungeon Masters of our great big MTBR Dungeon and Dragons game.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::nono::nono::nono::nono:

·
Don't touch me!
774 Posts
bdc88 said:
Oh wise beerisscanky - I did not say that I do not have a bike with discs nor did I say that I do not ride with discs.
Correct. You said:

bdc88 said:
For those who think only guys that live in flat areas use v-brakes, I have always used them and ride the North Shore trails in Vancouver for the last 12 years.
This tells me you have always used v-brakes. You also ride the North Shore trails in Vancouver... and apparently for the last 12 years. :D

I'm not arguing discs are lighter. Any fool can see that the lightest disc brake will be heavier, by however small or large, than the lightest v-brake.

I was arguing that you can't judge a product that you've never used... Which your statement inferred. "Always" is defined as: all the time, every time, at all times, through all past or future time, invariably, not never, forever. So I called you out on it.

Grasshopper has much to learn. :p

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,034 Posts
Axis II said:
As most of us know V-breaks are equal to and in some cases superior to a set of disc brakes. How long before the XC public pulls it's head out of it's arse and wakes up to the fact that they have been "hussled" yet again by the bike industry marketing MACHINE? It's only a matter of time before disc brake mounts are a bad memory. Fantasy you say??? Are you sure? :skep: BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Let me guess, rigid hardtail, biopace rings, flat bar, un-ergonomic saddle, 1.8" tires, tri-align cantilever brakes, reflector, suntour group, and toe clips.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts