Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
friction shifting

Anybody remember this? It works great, and is lighter than indexed shifting!

Soon only custom frames and rigid forks will be available with V-brake bosses, and personally, I welcome this advance.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
A typical Avid SD7 or XTR v-brake set including levers, bolts, brakes, cables, end caps, and housing is around 700 grams total. A set of Formula K18s with 160mm rotors is 795 grams total, so you're talking about a nominal weight difference of about 100grams for a whole lot more power and effectiveness. There are even lighter disc sets out there. I thought my v-brakes were fine until I actually tried discs. I'm never going back.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, I guess discs be the greatest afterall. Here's a picture of a weak and heavy V-brake.

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
barrows said:
Anybody remember this? It works great, and is lighter than indexed shifting!

Soon only custom frames and rigid forks will be available with V-brake bosses, and personally, I welcome this advance.
Yes! I used friction mode with my Paul's thumbies shifters in a race recenty after I caught a stick in my RD and it threw off my indexing. Very nice option to have.;)

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
How about those that want to use discs will continue to do so, while those that want to use rim brakes can.
Then what would we have to fight about? I ran a mullet rig on my SS for awhile, Avid BB7 up front and a SD7 in back, worked pretty well actually. A little something for everyone.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
cutthroat said:
Then what would we have to fight about? I ran a mullet rig on my SS for awhile, Avid BB7 up front and a SD7 in back, worked pretty well actually. A little something for everyone.
Exactly. There can be NO compromise on this issue!;) :D But really, if I have a point it might be some thing like: a great deal of riding conditions/terrain lend themselves to one braking system over the other. It's a good thing to at least have the option to choose one over the other if you want, no?

·
1 bike per day + 1 or 2
264 Posts
I for one am sticking with my V-Brakes. Lighter, easier to set up and maintain as far as I am concerned. For those who think only guys that live in flat areas use v-brakes, I have always used them and ride the North Shore trails in Vancouver for the last 12 years. While I am not hucking my 18 lbs hardtail down the mountain, I do not have any issues descending these amazing mountain in my back yard. I ride in the rain all winter long and yes get snow from time to time. I have never had an issue.

I am now riding the KCNC and there is no way that discs will ever get this light no matter what you do to them.

·
Don't touch me!
774 Posts
bdc88 said:
I for one am sticking with my V-Brakes. Lighter, easier to set up and maintain as far as I am concerned. For those who think only guys that live in flat areas use v-brakes, I have always used them and ride the North Shore trails in Vancouver for the last 12 years. While I am not hucking my 18 lbs hardtail down the mountain, I do not have any issues descending these amazing mountain in my back yard. I ride in the rain all winter long and yes get snow from time to time. I have never had an issue.

I am now riding the KCNC and there is no way that discs will ever get this light no matter what you do to them.
How do you know you won't like steak if all you've ever had is chicken?

·
1 bike per day + 1 or 2
264 Posts
Oh wise beerisscanky - I did not say that I do not have a bike with discs nor did I say that I do not ride with discs. I have three MTB's and 98% of my riding is with v-brakes and on those days where I want to do jumps, drops, log rides and stuff like that I do ride my third bike with discs. What I said is that I will stick with my v-brakes. I do have a third bike with disc and to be honest, there is barely any difference for the most part. Yes they might be better in the snow or if you taco your wheel but really, how many times do you ride in snow or taco your rim. If you taco your rim that much maybe you might want to take up another sport.;) I have never taco'd my rim so bad that it could not be ridden home by releasing my v-brakes. You still have another brake on the bike and again if you can not ride home with one brake then again maybe cycling is not for you. ;)

Lets face it, discs will never ever be as light as v-brakes. It just will not happen and can not happen as there are just too many bigger parts involved with a disc set up.

You build a bike with discs and I will build a bike with v-brakes and my bike with the exact same parts, frame and fork will be lighter. Do not hate the player, hate the game and the game is v-brakes will always be lighter.

So while you are bleeding your brakes, I will be out riding and having a lot of fun on my light weight bike. Remember what section we are in folks. Weight rules over all else.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just wanted to address the people with the unpleasant wetness experiences.

Just use ceramic coated rims :confused:

For a lean mean XC machine - (especially our 4000ft+ ascent rides - norcal) V's are great. On the other hand my guess is discs are the way to go for these chair lift up ride down style people - the sort of riding I'm seeing on bike-tv.cc

Eventually, I'll switch for sure, but why when Extralite has such sweet brakes?

On the forums you hear about so many disc calibrating issues but much less so with V-s. That said I'm the type that will love working on them when the time comes.

@ DB - I think this has been a great discussion and nobody has been flaming anybody really. Quite civilized. I agree it is slow around here so you or somebody needs to post some really nice LW parts! Trust me, I'll be doing my part soon . . .

I kinda look forward to some kind of ceramic disc invented for bikes - like on all the nice cars these days.

·
Registered
249 Posts
One more to this probably over beaten dead horse but Ive ridden both v brakes and disk. My last bike had Promax disc brakes which I learned to absolutely loath right up there in ex wife category. My cheap c-star v brakes out perform the Promax discs bar none. Fortunately I had the opportuniy to ride a friends bike with a set of BB7's and I'd have to say Im sold on those. Brakes are only as good as thier mating surfaces and with decent pads, v brakes will do almost anything the average rider would ask of them, but with the popularity of disc im not sure there's much r&d in vbrake rims and cross drilled rims arent likely, lol. i will someday go back to disc brakes but since i dont ride in snow or rain it would really have to be worth the expense. Im not putting cheap discs on just to look cool.
As far as Minnesota bein flat?......... Ride Lutsen during the summer or take me on in an urban downhill from Miller Hill to Downtown in Duluth! We'll see whats flat! It aint San Fran but it sure aint flat!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
cutthroat said:
so you're talking about a nominal weight difference of about 100grams for a whole lot more power and effectiveness.
Ah... but this seems to be the "Save some weight" forum ;)
cutthroat said:
I ran a mullet rig on my SS for awhile, Avid BB7 up front and a SD7 in back, worked pretty well actually.
Still running V's on my HT (currently SS). A mullet like that is one option when I need to get a new wheelset. Or go for Avid or Formula hydros. My FS bike has BB5's and I can feel the long cable to the rear, even with the FMJ tubes..

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Slobberdoggy said:
I just wanted to address the people with the unpleasant wetness experiences.

Just use ceramic coated rims :confused:

For a lean mean XC machine - (especially our 4000ft+ ascent rides - norcal) V's are great. On the other hand my guess is discs are the way to go for these chair lift up ride down style people - the sort of riding I'm seeing on bike-tv.cc

Eventually, I'll switch for sure, but why when Extralite has such sweet brakes?

On the forums you hear about so many disc calibrating issues but much less so with V-s. That said I'm the type that will love working on them when the time comes.

@ DB - I think this has been a great discussion and nobody has been flaming anybody really. Quite civilized. I agree it is slow around here so you or somebody needs to post some really nice LW parts! Trust me, I'll be doing my part soon . . .

I kinda look forward to some kind of ceramic disc invented for bikes - like on all the nice cars these days.
Yes. Thanks for making the ceramic point. My CrossMax ceramic rims are my go-to rims when I'll be in the wet. I have no "wetness issues" there so you are correct on that score. Re: DirtyBoy, he's just afraid we'll put more nails in the disc brake coffin!:p This seems odd to me because he's my V-brake "pusher" selling those sexy Ultrabrakes and now the KCNC brakes, I think? Yes, it has been slow around here. My god, almost 600 hits on this tired subject in less then a day? Madness. Nino must be in the Italian alps again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
How about those that want to use discs will continue to do so, while those that want to use rim brakes can.
We all want that but frame and fork makers who go on dropping bosses from frames and forks make us angry. My local trails allow me to run rim brakes in any weather conditions including long snowy winters, why do they make me upgrade? I don't wanna!

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
agreed.....besides suspension, gears, 29er wheels, and of course the most lame of all inventions, the gravity dropper, disc brakes are the biggest crutch in biking.

They are only desired by inexperienced bikers who need that extra little handicap so they can keep up with their pals on descents who otherwise would be whining like a biatch, curled up in a fetal position crying for mommy.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Faux Part Deux said:
agreed.....besides suspension, gears, 29er wheels, and of course the most lame of all inventions, the gravity dropper, disc brakes are the biggest crutch in biking.

They are only desired by inexperienced bikers who need that extra little handicap so they can keep up with their pals on descents who otherwise would be whining like a biatch, curled up in a fetal position crying for mommy.
:yawn:

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Who needs brakes anyway? Brakes just slow you down.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts