Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us know V-breaks are equal to and in some cases superior to a set of disc brakes. How long before the XC public pulls it's head out of it's arse and wakes up to the fact that they have been "hussled" yet again by the bike industry marketing MACHINE? It's only a matter of time before disc brake mounts are a bad memory. Fantasy you say??? Are you sure? :skep: BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!

·
bang
1,290 Posts
disc brakes are just another tool...not everybody needs them. surely you wouldn't have v's on a downhill bike. they have their place, and as soon as i get a disc wheelset i'll have them too. do v's work? yea, for 90% of what i do (they suck in snow for sure). but they look so cool, and that hydro lever feel is second to none! plus it's a good reason to get a nice new wheelset built up, haha :p :D

·
Higher Exploration
535 Posts
I like em cause they work better than v-brakes. I always rode xtr v's for the longest time, and I thought they were fine too, until I tried discs. Now when I ride my m5 my biggest gripe is the brakes and how little power they have.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
When are they going to get rid of those lame states with hardly any elevation variation, I mean really - if I can't get my 5K climb in, and the subsequent hair raising, disk brake critical descent on the way home - I may as well just croak. Or move to Minnesota!

:lol:

Seriously though - to each their own.

Oh! Or did I miss a technical revolution - as I've not seen "V Breaks".... are they the new marketing scheme you warn us of?

Axis II said:
...As most of us know V-breaks (sic) are equal to and in some cases superior to a set of disc brakes...
Now V-Brakes, they work OK for rolling fun mellow sorts of rides, or on my commuter bike - but when I can wear out (1) set of v-brake pads in (1) XC race - tell me how they are superior.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Axis II said:
As most of us know V-breaks are equal to and in some cases superior to a set of disc brakes. How long before the XC public pulls it's head out of it's arse and wakes up to the fact that they have been "hussled" yet again by the bike industry marketing MACHINE? It's only a matter of time before disc brake mounts are a bad memory. Fantasy you say??? Are you sure? :skep: BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Vbrakes are dead..or soon to be. Only visible in this forum and the Vintage-Retro forum.

Theyre making disc 350$ bikes sans brake bosses. When its sunk that deep theres no turning back. Which is a shame, cause every bike under 1000$ with disc brakes absolutely sucks. 1000$ hardtails now weigh 32lbs instead of the 27lbs they used to be.

The XC bike industry takes too much from its downhill/freeride brethren when it should be taking its lessons from the road bike world where bike weight limits reign supreme. Imagine the day when pro riders have to add powertap hubs to make their bike pass the weight limit...

XC is power:weight....NOT disc brakes and hucking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
disc brakes are superior in so many ways. when v's get wet they don't work too good. disc don't get mud on them easily and they don't stay wet as long. When you wear out the braking surface on disc break you get a new rotor. that only mean 20-50 dollars per wheel. But when you wear out the breaking surface on v brakes you have to rebuild your wheel. This can be costly when you have nice rims and spokes. (you aren't supposed to use old spokes on a new wheel)
Usually we see technology trickle down from high performance racing cars and motorcycles. They both have disc brakes because they are far superior.
Michael

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
glenzx said:
When are they going to get rid of those lame states with hardly any elevation variation, I mean really - if I can't get my 5K climb in, and the subsequent hair raising, disk brake critical descent on the way home - I may as well just croak. Or move to Minnesota!

That's a low blow.:sad: This is fun. BTW, my riding extends beyond MN borders- hell, I did Moab and Fruita a couple months ago on V's. You guys are hilarious. A set of properly setup cantibrakes is all you need to stop you- V-brakes are often overkill for XC riding and one can liken disc brakes to using a bazooka for whitetail hunting on any XC course I've competed in. Add the weight if you want, but why? You can wait for discs to get lighter but lets not forget we don't even have a set of carbon fiber V's.....yet.;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Try a winter ride in the high peak district, uk, then tell me discs are crap.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can only tell my experience... Currently I'm riding V's, and I had discs before. They worked ok, but they faded so hard on descents, more than my V's, that I traded them for a nicer pair of wheels and light V's. Are they better than the best discs? I don't think so. Do they serve me well on my dry country weather? You bet! I'm I happy? Yeap! SO, I will probably go to discs, when they are light AND have that fade issues solved.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts

I guess it's slow around here these days.....

MOD(S)!!
Please close this thread, as it's goin to go nowhere and will be a flame fest!

if there is any MOD(S) anymore...

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DIRT BOY said:

I guess it's slow around here these days.....

MOD(S)!!
Please close this thread, as it's goin to go nowhere and will be a flame fest!

if there is any MOD(S) anymore...
Of course we have no moderator- It's like the wild west around here. Madness. I really didn't expect anyone to really take this too seriously but clearly I hit a tender nerve.:eek: :D

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Axis II said:
That's a low blow.:sad: This is fun.
Awww, come now! I was just teasing. I do come from sea level, after all! :D

Axis II said:
BTW, my riding extends beyond MN borders- hell, I did Moab and Fruita a couple months ago on V's.
A whole lot of Moab and Fruita is as described - rolling fun sort of stuff and almost always dry - unless it's raining cats-and-dogs. Do tell if you hit some of the more hair-raisng stuff that hfly would have shown you while in Moab.

Trust me, come on out for a "typical" Rocky Mountain XC ride or race, get caught in some snow/rain at the top of a monstrous peak - and descend through the slop after absolutely leaving it all out on course/trail climbing for hours. Disks help me hang on for dear life when I'm cracked - staying in control at higher speeds and bringin' her home safe (usually). Sounds OK, right?

Axis II said:
A set of properly setup cantibrakes is all you need to stop you- V-brakes are often overkill for XC riding...
THAT is hilarious :lol: Canti's? Wow. Unless you have the forearm strength and stamina of Thor, I don't think so. With many disk systems out there weighing in at 330 - 360 grams, untuned - nevermind the NoTubes set-ups, weight is barely an issue except against all but the most bling v-brake systems out there.

Axis II said:
Add the weight if you want, but why?
As noted, see above.

Batas said:
...I will probably go to discs, when they are light AND have that fade issues solved.
This is like buying a new derailleur when your shifting isn't working quite right. Unless you had some really rotten system, fade is an issue with tuning/bleeding - not inherent to ALL systems - and 99% of the time easy to solve.

Eh, no moderator needed, as I bet Axis knew just what he was getting into!

·
Higher Exploration
535 Posts
Axis II said:
Of course we have no moderator- It's like the wild west around here. Madness. I really didn't expect anyone to really take this too seriously but clearly I hit a tender nerve.:eek: :D
So why are you defending yourself? I mean, since it was just a joke and all

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
If the bike, brake, fork mfgs would get there act together and have a universal mount and easy adjust system, disk brakes would take over. Innovations would lead to lighter systems to rival even todays V brakes.

I so love that if you dork your rim way out on the trail, you don't have take off your brake to get out. I have had to do that with my V brakes.....Not fun.

In the end, it's just your preference. But, don't be blind to innovations...............

1 - 20 of 95 Posts