Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weight loss?

So the 101 is what 7 + weeks away?

We all know losing weight will decrease your strength and it takes time to rebuild/re-energize after weight loss. So how far out before an event can you continue to lose weight before you need to stop?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you lose weight in a healthy way, I believe you can do it all the way up to a race. I usually drop weight when I am peaking, then put on a couple / few pounds during my taper. For instance, for my next race coming up, I dropped about 6 pounds and have noticed a significant increase in my overall strength and endurance at the same time. I am about 3 weeks from peaking, so I am expecting to lose another couple of pounds.

Keep in mind that as you get older, your body will react differently.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree and concur. However, what is acceptable? If I targeted 1lb a week for the next 7 weeks (yes i have that much to lose), is that too much?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Same thoughts here. I'm floating around the 161 mark and want to drop to around 157 for the 101. I am going to try and drop weight all the way to the race but I know I'm going to gain 1 or 2 lbs in the taper the week before the race. It's worked so far this season. I wanted 165 for Cohutta, 160 for mohican and now 157 for 101. Just don't loose too much or go crazy or the power will dimish as well. Eat right and make sure you get enough calories to sustain the power output is the key.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I will lay it down here and now then. I am doing on my tweeter too, but maybe this will help a few people to reach their goal.

I was 162.8 this morning. Looking to be 155 for the 101.

My number can drop quickly the first few weeks of attempted weight loss so dont be too alarmed if in one week my scale says 158. Its mostly shedding waste and excess water from reducing carb intake. I wont loose a true 8lbs before the race but If the morning of the race I wake up hydrated and fueled and the scale says 155, I will be very happy.

If I can get down to 150 I am in on the SM100. That course was just fing brutal last year at 170.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XC62701 said:
Maybe I should change my goal to 155 and we could have a little competition :D

Not really fair as I am 2lbs heavier and and 1:20 minutes slower than you at the Mohican.

Although my Body fat% is probably higher so I bet I can drop more quicker.

Looks like we have a preen for the first person to 155.

The winner gets a glass full of beer after the 101.

·
Registered
991 Posts
heythorp said:
Not really fair as I am 2lbs heavier and and 1:20 minutes slower than you at the Mohican.

We're not as far off as you think. I've been rewarding myself after Mohican so this morning I hit the scale at 162. I have no clue what my body fat % is. My scale says 19% or so but I don't think it's that accurate - at least I hope not. You're on - lets beer it up!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LMAO I was 17.5% and me and my GF were just talking about getting beer!!!!!!! If I could only drink without the need to eat.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I weighed 142.8 this morning. :p But then again I am 17 and 5'6".

Also, I lost 20lbs between February and May and I don't think I lost any power at all. As long as you eat enough (don't feel hungry all day) and continue to bike you should be able to hold your strength.

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
As long as you're scientific about it you should be all good.
Graphs and charts can make your weight loss seem very scientific if done right.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't have any fancy schmancy charts but I do have a weight log that I keep track of. It helps with some motivation.

·
Registered
991 Posts
teamdicky said:
Fancy schmancy charts are where it's at.
I think if I started to make charts as pretty as yours I might be taking myself waaay too seriously. You might say that I'd fjear the intensity :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We all know how important weight is to cycling. I am not one for following a training program. I don't use my hear rate monitor anymore, heck i even took my computer off my bike. I admit the concept of a power meter might be fun for a while, but after a while it would become like watching my average speed and trying to beat my wattage each ride.

I dont do intervals, but I do have a hill day each week. I ride 12 plus hours a week, but when I start riding that much my weight usually starts to creep up. Call it a sense of entitlement. "Hey I road 10 hours this weekend, I can eat what ever I want"

Anyways, this year I said I wont let it happen again. Well after the mohican I ate and drank what ever I wanted for a week (there goes that sense of entitlement again) and then got on the scale. **** 165. In the past I have said to myself, "when you get to 170 you can do something about it. Just ride like you normally do and enjoy the summer."

The same day I was reading this article on velonews about Chris Horner.
http://www.velonews.com/article/93006/horner-healing-hopeful-for-tour

Below is a quote from the article

“At the Tour of California one of the team physio guys was laughing that I was too fat,” he said. “After California I had two weeks off with a broken knee, and I quit eating all fast foods and lost some weight. I am 139.5 pounds now, where in the past the lowest I’ve weighed is 145, and I’m usually racing at 148 or even 150 pounds. It makes quite a bit of difference.”

Well that re-energized me and I knew it was time to get back in the game. I saw 161.6 earlier this year and now that the scale said 165 I knew it was time to get busy loosing or get busy gaining.

So at 17.5% and 163 I am trying to reach my goal of 10% BF. I don't think I have another really big riding year in me after this one, but I can only imagine how much faster I will be during 100 mile events if I was 13lbs lighter.

·
Registered
991 Posts
heythorp said:

161.2 This morning. 19.7 % BF - You'll see how trivial this number seems to be as my scale is really inaccurate depending on the mosture on my feet and well my fatness :)

For Dicky sake - this was after a #1 at 5:30. #2 is usually scheduled later in the morning...like 10 mins from now. How's that for precise.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
BF 18..4
let my fluctuation period begin. The next 7 days will be crazy and if the weather permits a big ride, the day after I will be 2 lbs heavier no matter what I do.

Oh and for full disclosure , a la Dicky, it was after a #1 and #2.

Time of day is important too. If you sleep one more hour, well you body has had time to process that much more water. I am usually up around 6:30 but Today I did not weigh myself until after 7am. I have run tests where I will do my #1 in the am, not eat and then go again in 30 minutes and then re weigh myself. This can be another 1/2lb. My BF number increasing shows this as I probably have less water in me at weigh in time today than yesterday.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Going backwards today after an awesome meal last night. I couldn't resist the penne vodka. 162.4 this am. Then I did a 7 hour MTB ride. 157.4 afterwards - I need to eat more on training rides.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts