Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,
How much movement/travel is normal for a locked REBA?
The Marzocchi MX PRO I own has a stiff 1" while locked, but it is STOUT.
I am getting close to half my possible travel when locked out on the REBA.
The floodgate is cranked all the way + (clockwise).
Do I need to increase the air pressure??
Presure settings (130 + 120 -)
175lbs + 20lbs gear

TIA,
C.

EDIT: NON POPLOC VERSION

·
Registered
122 Posts
mrsalty said:
Gentlemen,
How much movement/travel is normal for a locked REBA?
The Marzocchi MX PRO I own has a stiff 1" while locked, but it is STOUT.
I am getting close to half my possible travel when locked out on the REBA.
The floodgate is cranked all the way + (clockwise).
Do I need to increase the air pressure??
Presure settings (130 + 120 -)
175lbs + 20lbs gear

TIA,
C.
With just the regular lock out that you flip on top of the fork it would feel almost 100% locked out. When I installed the pop lock system I got about 10 mm of up and down movement. Lately I have been able to compress the whole fork. I just sent the Fork to RS for the creaking problem.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I am confused..........

Seems like the 'lockout' should be really stiff.
I thought maybe the lower air pressure was the cause, but I am now beginning to wonder.

C.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm pretty sure this topic has came up before. But for some strange reason there is a different feeling when using a pop lock system on the fork. It is not fully locked out.
Same with the standard lock out it will not be totally locked out...almost but not 100%

·
Sam
78 Posts
You might have already done it this way, but just in case . . .

You need to do your floodgate adjustments with the fork fully locked out (poplock engaged).

This may help.

cheers

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will it give it a try today.
Thanks.

C.

scrat said:

You need to do your floodgate adjustments with the fork fully locked out (poplock engaged).

This may help.

cheers

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine had low oil

I have the Poploc version and it worked when new,but stopped.A friend took it to Mt Snow and RS tech added oil.It now works just fine,tho I do wonder where the oil went....

dan

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NON POPLOC version................

No cable to adjust on mine.

burner said:
you may need to adjust your poploc cable so that it rotates the knob on top of the fork all the way clockwise... can you twist it any farther when remote lockout is enabled?

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
scrat said:

This may help.

cheers
I'd second this suggestion, its a common mistake for fist time Motion Control users.

Low oil is possable if your pushing air through the sock instead of oil I can see how it wouldn't lock out at all. Those forks are amazingly simple inside, it cant be too hard to fix.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Bing, bing, bing - we have a winner.

Low oil in the right leg will reduce lock out. The fork travels until the valve in the cartridge hits the oil and then is stopped because the valve is close aka locked out. Check your manual. I foget how many ml of oil are supposed to be in the leg, but basically the oil is supposed to come up to the bottom of the cartridge. You can pump the fork all day long and adjust all the knobs you want, but if your oil is low, you won't get a good lock out.

BTW - this isn't rocket science - anyone with a wrench can check the oil level. The right cartridge is a bolt in. Simply remove the snap ring that holds on the lock out knob (or popper) and then remove the knob. This will allow you to get a 24mm socket on to the top of the cartridge (that thing that looks like a bolt). Lefty loosey it out (fork should be upright when you do this). Once you have the cartridge unscrewed, slowly remove it and allow the excess oil to drain back into the fork leg. Get yourself a metric measuring cup. Turn the fork upside down and allow the oil to drain into the cup. Check how much you got. Open up your RS manual (two variations owner manual and service --- you want the service manual for your model)...

( http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8 )

Check how much oil is needed in the right leg. If memory serves, it's 110ml (+/-5ml). Make sure your tubes are fully extended then filler up with 5wt. Slide the cartridge back in and tighten with the socket. Reassemble the lock out thing. Wipe off all that excess oil you spewed everywhere. Now go ride.

The service manual gives the rockshox version of the above with pictures. Enjoy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, not rocket science..................

I guess the oil residue on the rebound adjuster was not just some factory 'seconds'.
I will pull it apart and top it off.
Did you get the 5wt oil recommendation form RS?
I think I will use at least 7.5wt.

Off topic,
Glad they offer a 'somewhat' reasonably priced 29er product.
The forks' steering is less than precise when it really counts.
Not particularly impressed with the new face of Rock Shox.
I guess time will tell................

C.

endure26 said:
Bing, bing, bing - we have a winner.

Low oil in the right leg will reduce lock out. The fork travels until the valve in the cartridge hits the oil and then is stopped because the valve is close aka locked out. Check your manual. I foget how many ml of oil are supposed to be in the leg, but basically the oil is supposed to come up to the bottom of the cartridge. You can pump the fork all day long and adjust all the knobs you want, but if your oil is low, you won't get a good lock out.

BTW - this isn't rocket science - anyone with a wrench can check the oil level. The right cartridge is a bolt in. Simply remove the snap ring that holds on the lock out knob (or popper) and then remove the knob. This will allow you to get a 24mm socket on to the top of the cartridge (that thing that looks like a bolt). Lefty loosey it out (fork should be upright when you do this). Once you have the cartridge unscrewed, slowly remove it and allow the excess oil to drain back into the fork leg. Get yourself a metric measuring cup. Turn the fork upside down and allow the oil to drain into the cup. Check how much you got. Open up your RS manual (two variations owner manual and service --- you want the service manual for your model)...

( http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8 )

Check how much oil is needed in the right leg. If memory serves, it's 110ml (+/-5ml). Make sure your tubes are fully extended then filler up with 5wt. Slide the cartridge back in and tighten with the socket. Reassemble the lock out thing. Wipe off all that excess oil you spewed everywhere. Now go ride.

The service manual gives the rockshox version of the above with pictures. Enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.