Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. While I wait for my frame and pick parts I'm wondering how light a Nomad can go? I think the SC site reports 28lbs-ish for the XTR/X0 builds and I've heard 29lbs should be pretty doable, but has anyone heard of anything sub 28lbs?

I'm not going to build mine so light that I bust the thing, but I'm a smaller/lighter fellow (5'8.5", 145-155lbs depending on season,) and I like to think I've got pretty smooth flow on the bike... I don't slam **** w/o good reason, so I usually get a lot of use from my parts.

So I'm just curious how low I MIGHT be able to go if I went all out....

My Nomad build blog: http://buildanomad.blogspot.com/

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 28lbs on Speedgoat's bean counter...

Yeah, I'd say the Speedgoat tally is gonna be a bit too kind. I got something down to 28lbs. Of course I would have to ride with one leg after selling the other to pay for the bling on that ride...

RobsterCraw said:
pay attention when using that because some items have no listed weight in their database so they will not affect the projected weight, thus giving you a bogus wieght. the too good to be true kind of thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Calculations

My Nomad is in the closet....waiting on parts and extra money???

My calculations indicate $2500 in new high quality parts will accomplish about 29-30lbs for a large. The complete dripping Bling parts package with equal strength to the $2500 package will cost $4000 and get you at 28 lbs ($6000 bike). $1500 for the last 1 or 2 lbs???

The prudent thing would be to just stuff your camelback with 30 $50 bills and buy your buds and all hot babes you can find lots of cold beers and ride at 30 lbs. You'll be the KING!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd think that to cut that much more weight off my bike (about 32.5, maybe 33 now) I'd have to give up something I don't want to, as I've gone light where I want it already. I like a slightly heavier wheelset rather than making it more xc-like, and I like a stiff more capable fork than not, etc. I don't think it really matters in terms of a couple of pounds either; I can easily take more weight out of my pack or off my body rather than off the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts