Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its probably posted some where but I can´t find the weight of the new superlight frame, I saw the weight of the new heckler ( 6.1 lbs with shock ) posted in a sticky, my classic blur is 5.6 lbs ( with shock) now how much lighter is the new superlight?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Well...

I weighed the difference between a Blur powder coated frame vs Blue ano on a fairly accurate (though not digital) scale at a bike shop and it was about .3 to .4 lbs difference. They had a medium pc '07 SL frame there (yeah, I know, I could have bought that one but I wanted an ano frame with RP23) and it was about 5.3 lbs (I always prefer a digital scale!) so I'm guessing my ano frame will be 4.9 lbs. I'll post pics of it hanging from my digital scale when I get it. I'm hoping my build will be in the 25.5 lb range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that the difference would be about 1/2 lb.
I just talked to the SC Distributor here in Mexico and he won´t get any SLs until the end of February
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
So you have one?

sweeter said:
my '07 medium ano frame weighs 2360g (5.24lb) - with the fox RP23, without seatcollar
Edit: of course you do, you posted a pic of it over in "Superlight Love". From your pics I figured that you got a built bike and not a frame you built up. I'm going to hang my ano frame from a digital scale so all can see at least what mine weighs. Lessee, I have how many weeks to wait till it's in my hands?

·
Registered
12 Posts
xcguy said:
Edit: of course you do, you posted a pic of it over in "Superlight Love". From your pics I figured that you got a built bike and not a frame you built up. I'm going to hang my ano frame from a digital scale so all can see at least what mine weighs. Lessee, I have how many weeks to wait till it's in my hands?
No, I bought only frame.
Frame was weight by SC dealer, before I got them.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
"How light is a Superlight?"

...How light do you want it?

The Bike Builder on the SC site's SuperLight page says you can go from a low of 23.42lbs to a high of 27.6lbs, right off the rack.

That 4lb (+/-) diff will cost you dearly ($2.5k I think....) :eek:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I'm stripping another bike and transferring parts over

benja55 said:

The Bike Builder on the SC site's SuperLight page says you can go from a low of 23.42lbs to a high of 27.6lbs, right off the rack.

It's true, a rider can spend more and more to get the weight down but if I know the frame's weight I know what it plus these parts will weigh in total because I know the other frame's weight. I never go crazy spending dollars to drop the weight, but you can save a quarter pound per wheel by going lighter tires, saddles can weigh a ton but mine are around 230g. Stems can weigh 175g or like mine (FSA) can weigh under 130g and still be strong enough for my kind of riding. A bike shop told me if you can keep it to a dollar spent per gram lighter that's a ratio you can live with. Anyway, whatever this new SL weighs as a bike will be fine with me because I'm so excited just to be finally owning one. Make that ordering one.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
my 06 is right around 26lbs without pedals and that is with pretty much an x9 build. i could save weight in the tyres i guess (running nevegals)... but i wouldnt like to see it much lower than 25lbs... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my 2003 XL Superlight at 24.4. It was full 07 xtr, mavic crossmax xl, thomson seatpost, ritchey stem, 31.8 bar, PUSH'd Fox RL shock and PUSH'd FOX RLC fork, and maxxis crossmarks. Very light bike for a 230 pound guy! I ordered the new 07 SL in a large with RP23. I got rid of the Crossmax XL and went with DT 240s and DT 4.2D Rims that weigh 1602 grams with strips. i am hoping the big will be in the high 23s. We shall see when my bike gets her sometime this next month. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't think so, Tim...

benja55 said:

I saw a medium new 07 SL at the lbs today, I can't remember which "off the rack" build it had, but the retail price was $1999. That thing easily weighed at least 30lbs- I ran away from it, and test rode a new 07 Trek EX7, which weighed less than the SL at 29.5lbs. So much for "light."

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Wait till you see the pics of my '07 SL built up

dumper said:
I saw a medium new 07 SL at the lbs today, I can't remember which "off the rack" build it had, but the retail price was $1999. That thing easily weighed at least 30lbs- I ran away from it, and test rode a new 07 Trek EX7, which weighed less than the SL at 29.5lbs. So much for "light."
I'll show you what it weighs (guaranteed under 26 lbs) and tell you what the build consists of. And what it costs me. It'll be around $2000 including frame. I hope!
With a frame as light as it is, a rider would have to be wanting to build some wannabe "all-mountain" ride to go above 27 lbs. If that's what someone is going for they should have bought a Nomad or Heckler to begin with. Did you put this bad boy on a scale or did you just pick it up and guess? Let's face it, the SL is a pure cross country ride--4 inches of sweet travel and light.

Bike manufacturers have a tough time specing their products to meet all price points. Unfortunately, lower dollar price points usually equals more weight, at least in the bike business. I've kind of made it a project of mine to search out bangforthebuck dollars/grams ratios and have hit on a spec of components that gives me what I'm looking for in a build--a light but not ridiculously light ride. I don't do drops and I'm not hard on my equipment. Sheeit, I can go an entire season without a flat or having to true my wheels, and that includes 800 singletrack miles in Colorado and two trips to Moab.

Now all I have to do is get my frame and let the building process begin.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I have my 2007 SL built and

I promised I'd send pics of the weight of the frame and build but I can't get my pics to get on to this forum. So, until I get that figured out I'll just say that my medium ano RP23 with seat collar frame weighs 5.25 lbs. The complete build without pedals is 24.5 lbs.

The build:
XTR hubs with Mavic 317 disc rims
Continental Explorer Supersonic tires with lightweight tubes
Avid BB7s 160 mm rotors
'07 Fox F100 RLC fork
RP23
Easton EA70 flat bars
Thompson seatpost
FSA XC115 stem
Cane Creek S2 headset
WTB Rocket V saddle (saddles are such a personal thing--this fits me the best)
XT 752 octalink crankset and bb (about the same weight as a new outboard bearing XT)
XTR 8 speed rapidfire shift/brake levers (a rare item--had a new set in a box!)
XTR 12-32 three ti cogs cassette speed
XT front derailleur
XTR 960 rear derailleur

Nothing stupidlight about the components. With pedals and some beefier tires it'll probably be just under 26 lbs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too just ordered a SL but mine was a "Complete" with the R-XC options in ano Orange. Not sure how that will relate to weight but I am dying of curiousity to see what mine will weight once it is is. The website says 27.11 lbs but I highly doubt that. Any optinions would be interesting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Superlight weights

Superlight weights are easily found on the SC website.
Click on the Bike Builder link, and you are off and running!

I bought the 2007 Superlight R XC complete [powdercoat] 6d ago, for $1999.
Listed weight on SC site is 27.11 pounds [without pedals].
I have Shimano M520 pedals, listed as weighing 380g, or 0.84 pounds.

My bike should weigh 27.11 + 0.84 = 27.95 pounds.

I just weighed it on our digital Tamita home scale at exactly 29 pounds.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Update on my '07 SL

Put pedals on, bottle cages, cyclometer, Fire XC Pro 2.1 tires and now my new bike weighs 26.1 lbs. Anything under 27 is a bonus. I've ridden it a little bit on rocky trails (not really enough to tell you all about it) but one thing it is is fast. I'm gonna need many hours in the saddle to give you all a full report (after I dick around with fork and shock settings and pressures) but I can't keep from smiling the entire time I'm on the SL.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
A little something for you all waiting on your SLs

I know you are going nuts with the legendary Santa Cruz wait times.
Above is my complete built of my '07. Just weighed it again on my digital scale and it reads 26.2 lbs. Must be some dirt stuck somewhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.