Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was it box-stock? What have you done to it and has it made a difference?

How light do you want it to be ideally? I do find that the slower the bike is moving, the more I feel the weight. Like when it's in the garage, or lifting it onto the rack, I feel every pound. :)

I've ridden a 56 lb ebike and a 42 lb one and it does make a difference. The other very important factors are suspension support and braking/balance. Front and rear shocks that fully support the weight of the bike can make it feel light. But just talking about bike weight, let's see your project.

Photos please.

·
Fat and bouncy
552 Posts
After I managed to shave about 3kg off my normal fat bike I looked to see where I could do the same to my ebike, however the savings are dwarfed by the battery and motor weight and I tend to carry a spare battery which weights 2kg on longer trips, so I've saved my money and time and just accepted that it's a PITA as you describe when not riding but soon forget when I'm pedaling. As pictured it weighs just under 57lbs.

Attachments

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
I got an Intense Tazer large. Stock comes in at 47.5lbs without pedals.

I've added: a carbon bar, tubeless, carbon rims, XT DI2 shifting , XT trail pedals & XT cassette. But my rear hub just experienced a catastrophic failure and is being sent back to Bontrager for replacement.

Bike weighed with pedals & stock aluminum rear wheel with tube. Came in at 47lbs.

I think with my carbon rear wheel, maybe 46lbs. The stock Maxxis EXO+ tires are heavy but not worrying about flats is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
My Focus Bold2 weighs about 45 lbs, I could probably take 2-3 pounds off with some tricker wheels and less capable tires, but it would still be a 40+lb hard tail. Of bigger concern to me is the 375 kWh battery capacity. I get about 2 hours on Eco mode before the tank is empty and if you haven’t experienced the “joy” of a 45 lb bike with SIGNIFICANT motor drag, you should try it once to know you shouldn’t tempt battery fate. It does not spin free!

·
Registered
213 Posts
My Surly Wednesday weighs a bit less then 70 pounds. 17 AH battery, rear rack, Rohloff hub, and a BBSHD. It's all relative, you get used to it. Throwing it over a gate or fence ain't going to happen though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
39.6 lb. However, it's a DIY with a small battery, so it may not count...

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

The Reign without conversion is a porky 34 Lb, due to a heavy 7" dropper, chunky 160mm Marzocchi fork, longer rear shock (6.75" rear travel), big brakes, wide rims, etc. When I first bought it, I had it down to 30 lb

The E-conversion added 5.6 lb total. I get a nice 250 watts of assist (up to 500 occasionally). Battery is good for 100 watt hours, and my standard loop uses about 60 Wh very comfortably. (10 miles, 1000'). Cost me about $400.

A few weeks ago, I knocked the master link clip off in the parking lot. My buddy peer pressured me into doing the ride without assist. It rode about the same as it did before the conversion.:D

Ideally, I keep eyeing my old Trance 29er, which is just under 30 lb with a 34mm 150 fork and a long shock. It would be 35.5 lb. But I really love that bike, and can't bring myself to do it (so far)...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I dropped my waist to 28 in.
It is an improvement for each of my bike.
Also i have the habit of not carrying any liquid so together this is about a 12 pounds of savings. I also avoid any FS that is another saving. Just increasing the raw food intake helps to drop a pound each week.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Bicycle wheel rim Rim Spoke Bicycle Fender
Focus Jam2 Pro 29er XL, 46lbs. Mods? Too many! The bike rips. It is currently for sale.

-2019 Rock Shock Lyrik 150 (Stock 140mm Yari)

-2019 DVO Topaz 3 (Stock Rock Shox)

-203mm rotors XT ICE TECH (Stock 180mm)

-xt 4 piston brakes (Stock 2 Piston)

-xt 165mm cranks (Stock 170mm)

-Fox transfer dropper

-Wolf tooth remote

-Ergon seat

-Ergon grips

- Renthal Carbon Fatbar

-Renthal Apex 35mm stem

-DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline Drive hybrid carbon wheels ($2800 alone) light and stiff.

-Maxxis Minion / Aggressor 2.5 WT tires

-Shimano 6000 mode switch

-tubeless naturally

-Brand New Tec Pak. ($500)

SIZE XL, I'm 6'1 and fits perfectly

It's full XT Di2.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
I got an Intense Tazer large. Stock comes in at 47.5lbs without pedals.

I've added: a carbon bar, tubeless, carbon rims, XT DI2 shifting , XT trail pedals & XT cassette. But my rear hub just experienced a catastrophic failure and is being sent back to Bontrager for replacement.

Bike weighed with pedals & stock aluminum rear wheel with tube. Came in at 47lbs.

I think with my carbon rear wheel, maybe 46lbs. The stock Maxxis EXO+ tires are heavy but not worrying about flats is priceless.

So, just like justifying dropping weight on an acoustic bike, that pound saved cost you just how much??

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I've been thinking about switching out the 2.8 Butcher Grids on my Levo for some 2.5 or 2.6 tires. I realized I can save half a pound just by switching tires. Of course, I can go tubeless while I'm at it and save a bit more. . .

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I've been thinking about switching out the 2.8 Butcher Grids on my Levo for some 2.5 or 2.6 tires. I realized I can save half a pound just by switching tires. Of course, I can go tubeless while I'm at it and save a bit more. . .
That is the problem with focussing on bike weight. Less traction, lower BB.
For me i prefer 3.0 on my 40 mm.
Are you sure it will be an improvement?

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
That is the problem with focussing on bike weight. Less traction, lower BB.
For me i prefer 3.0 on my 40 mm.
Are you sure it will be an improvement?
Personally, I can't stand the ride of the Butcher Grid. Too round and bouncy. The round profile I attribute to the tire design, but the bounciness comes from the volume of the tire. I have a WTB Vigilante 2.6 on my Remedy and size wise it's pretty much the same. It too has a bit more "bounce" than I'd like, but not as much. Meanwhile, the more square and aggressive tread profile suites my riding style (and the terrain here) much better.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
So, just like justifying dropping weight on an acoustic bike, that pound saved cost you just how much?
Too much! But this is how I justify it! I ride almost everyday and every upgrade I bought, made the bike lighter and stronger! Plus, having spare parts is a plus!

Before carbon wheels, I'd go through a rear rim about every 6 months. Now I easily get over 2yrs out of a carbon rear rim. Going to install a tire insert soon and test those waters, should increase rim durability.

·
Registered
340 Posts
All my upgrades have upped the weight of my Turbo Levo. Minions were heavier than the Butchers and I replaced the RS rear shock with an Ohlins TTX coil shock. Both upped the performance of the bike. Won't put this one on a scale though.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
All my upgrades have upped the weight of my Turbo Levo. Minions were heavier than the Butchers and I replaced the RS rear shock with an Ohlins TTX coil shock. Both upped the performance of the bike. Won't put this one on a scale though.
I hear you! My bike came with heavy maxxis tires. My next mods will gain weight: tire insert, front spring kit, avalanche cartridge and probably a coil shock. That's probably an easy 2lbs.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Geeking out on weight is hilarious enough on normal bikes. With an e-bike, it's hysterical. Carbon wheels? You+your bike are at least 200 pounds (assuming you're pretty small and your bike is pretty light). That's a massive 1/2% savings even if you had really heavy wheels to start. And in the real world a lot of us are quite a bit heavier, am I right?

Aside from placebo effect and/or your buddies picking it up at the coffee shop (because that's what you're required to do when someone gets a new bike, right?), you aren't going to notice.

Now if you're a 90# 5' tall lady (or gentleman), the bike might be a lot to handle just pushing/dragging it around when you're not onboard. Loading onto a bike rack can be a PITA. But in terms of actually riding, you've got an extra ProTour rider worth of power available. 5 or 10 pounds of good reliable parts isn't going to hurt you in any way.

-Walt

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geeking out on weight is hilarious enough on normal bikes. With an e-bike, it's hysterical. Carbon wheels? You+your bike are at least 200 pounds (assuming you're pretty small and your bike is pretty light). That's a massive 1/2% savings even if you had really heavy wheels to start. And in the real world a lot of us are quite a bit heavier, am I right?

Aside from placebo effect and/or your buddies picking it up at the coffee shop (because that's what you're required to do when someone gets a new bike, right?), you aren't going to notice.

Now if you're a 90# 5' tall lady (or gentleman), the bike might be a lot to handle just pushing/dragging it around when you're not onboard. Loading onto a bike rack can be a PITA. But in terms of actually riding, you've got an extra ProTour rider worth of power available. 5 or 10 pounds of good reliable parts isn't going to hurt you in any way.

-Walt
Right on. There's some insight to that. Dismissive too.

I have a 55 lb ebike in the garage and a 42 lb one too. They're wildly different even though they have the same motor and I'm the same rider.

If you've ridden one on a variety of trail, you'll understand. At high speed, Downieville, downhill type, doesn't make too much of a difference. But in tight, low-speed trails, a lot of braking accelerating, it matters more.

Portaging over fallen trees and onto the bike rack, yes.

Something interesting is opting for a 350wh battery instead of 700wh one for weekday jaunts. Save 4 lbs on weight that will go unused anyway.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
Cutting weight from the wheels usually makes a noticeable difference in handling. Doesn't matter that you're going from 50lbs to 49lbs, if that pound came out of the wheels you'll feel it when you're tossing the bike around on the trail.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I hear you! My bike came with heavy maxxis tires. My next mods will gain weight: tire insert, front spring kit, avalanche cartridge and probably a coil shock. That's probably an easy 2lbs.

When I installed CushCore (29er) I first weighed them against the spare tube I used to carry. The inserts each weighed the same as a tube. So if you're still running tubes at least you know you won't be gaining any weight there by switching to tubeless with a tire insert. ;)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.