Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to make the jump from selling my DH bike (get out of DH riding for now) and get more into trail riding. Although since I live in BC, I'd still want a trail bike that can handle some rougher riding. With all the reading I've done, a used Bullit seems like one of the best/versatile options out there:

-Can have 6"+ travel
-Frame only 1 or 2 lbs heavier than the Heckler

If I could get it down to the low 30s it would be great. I still need to be able to climb so a swinger or 5th would help with that. I'm not racing, just needs to be really versatile. How realistic is this? Any Bullit owners out there that would like to show off their pics? I'd love to stick with Nicolai but at the cost of their frames, I don't know if I could get another one.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
I have used my 01' Bullit on and off as a trail bike for years. Light isn't the problem , the geo. isn't the greatest. Even with a 7.875 rear shock , 5 / 6" fork the HA & SA are slack. I liked my Heckler better for climbing and general trail duties.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I guess that's where I'll come up short: Either have a light-ish, long travel trail bike with sluggish steering OR have a medium travel bike with quicker steering.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'll differ a little with keen on this. My '99 Bullit has made a darned good trail bike in certain builds. If you keep at least a 90mm stem and a straight seatpost, this goes a long way to putting you in the right place on the bike. Then use a 6" fork, and even with an 8.5 X 2.5 stable platform rear shock, the bike still climbs well. I'm not a young guy, but keeping my '99 Bullit around 32 pounds with this geometry allows even me to ride it much like any other AM bike...and have some left over for getting a little air and attacking very gnarly terrain.

I've had that same Bullit in builds in the 5" area where the bike was about 1.5 pounds lighter, but oddly the bike was just a bit faster in the 6" setup on the same trail. At our local 11 mile trail, I always use my computer to see how I do on every ride. No, I'm no XC racer boy or such, but often just going by the seat of your pants to check mods and upgrades doesn't really get it. keen's definitely right about the slack geometry, but done right, I think the pre-'03 Bullits can make very good trailbikes. The '99 Bullit in this pic weighs right at 32 pounds.

Attachments

·
AKA - DangerDon
43 Posts
I picked up this 04 XL frame a few months ago and built it up from there to be burly enough to handle my 245 lbs (w/gear) while I progress to some decent sized jumps and drops. Coming in at just below 40 lbs, its no XC bike , but I’m sooooooooooooooooooo happy with it as my all around “all mountain” bike. I’ve done 6 to 8 mile strait climbs on it – not with ease, but I’ve done it and then really, really enjoyed going back down. I’ve also been doing more and more aggressive DH/FR riding and it’s taken everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine weighs just over 36lbs. I really like this bike. The geometry and fit is great.
I use it for everything from aggresive all mountain type riding to 4 hour XC rides.
Yeah It might be a little slower on the climbs but it sure is fun going down :D
This season I think i'm going to get a new wheelset and a few other parts to lighten it up more. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts