Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find wich one is really light but I don't find the correct weight because the info is not the same. Sometimes too hight or to low looking the same brand

Can someone put me in the right direction!

Here is a pic of the one I have and really I don't thing they are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one on the pic is the front Hayes stroker ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input shark. But what I'm trying to do is to save some weight if I swap the brake I have. Really I can't complain about hayes so far they work flawlessly, I try to find weight of some sistem and is very confusing . That's why I tried to find some real weight frm fellow riders

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The equivalent brake setup as you have pictured would be around 180g for a Formula R1. They are pretty much the lightest hydraulic brakes available. I have personally weighed Hygia SLP front after tuning was 198g, Magura MTS 226g and AEST CNC at 202g.

This is really nice info. Is what I'm looking. Maybe if a swap with some formula I save some 200 gr is. Good. This means if I do the swap I can put a dropper post without gains so much weight in the process.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Brakes is NOT a good place to save weight. Stopping power, modulation and serviceability come first and foremost. Drop weight from the components that SPIN: cranks, pedals, wheels, (to an extent - rotors), cassette, etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brakes is NOT a good place to save weight. Stopping power, modulation and serviceability come first and foremost. Drop weight from the components that SPIN: cranks, pedals, wheels, (to an extent - rotors), cassette, etc.
I agree with you but I'm in a position in my bike , I don't have where to go. Has to be the brakes. At lease that the way I see it and if I do it has to be better that the one I have.

I reed a lot of good comment about the formula R1. At the end is tuff luck sometimes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are really nice , but my a shims 2 weight 66gr at 160

I believe I had to swap my brakes.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Brakes is NOT a good place to save weight. Stopping power, modulation and serviceability come first and foremost.
You CAN find a brake that has all of those as well as being lighter than the OPer's current brakes. As long as you're will to pay. That said, if you really want to drop weight, forget a dropper post. Too heavy. QR is way lighter.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
M987 brakes are a good light brake. If brakes get too light they start to sacrifice performance. Feel 987s then 988s back to back and you can feel the race brake flexing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
KCNC x7 brakes are the lightest.
You can still buy them on ebay.
I bought used and my pair total 361grams.
Problem of note. They use IS mount on the rear.
That will be 15grams for adapter.
Not much out there on how good they are(I haven't mounted mine yet).
Another option - Formula R1 Racing(carbon handle and titanium bits)
The equivalent brake setup as you have pictured would be around 180g for a Formula R1. They are pretty much the lightest hydraulic brakes available. I have personally weighed Hygia SLP front after tuning was 198g, Magura MTS 226g and AEST CNC at 202g.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts