Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eyes on the the M230 Houseblend Lysnkey hardtail mountain bike frame.

Size M, 2.85lbs

On sale right now for 1695 USD.

It is constructed out of 3-2.5Ti alloy. My original thought was a Kent Eriksen custom Ti frame made from 6-4Ti. Would I be able to get a frame built out of 6-4Ti to be any lighter than the 2.85 lbs that lynskey is claiming for theirs with similar geometry and size?

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Good price for a frame. Reality says that for Erickson to make something that light it would cost you easily 1200 bucks if not more. Not sure if the M230 is stiff or noodly or inbetween. Also, it would be nice to actually have a shop throw one on the scale. I find that all Ti manufacturers like to quote Naked frames (ie no badge, derailler hanger, stickers, bolts) as there frame weights.

For Lynskey to make you a 6/4 ti bike you are looking at level 4 custom which brings you to the relm of 4000+ dollars.

·
narCOTIC
307 Posts
I bought a Cotic Soda, not for the weight benefits (although they are a plus), but for the ride quality from a decent Ti frame. If you went much lighter than the Lynskey, the tubing will have to be much thinner, and for me the ride would feel too 'noodly'.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I did not bother weighting my Motobecane Fly Ti frame, but after riding it I can imagine ever paying Lynskey, or Litespeed prices. The whole thing with an XTR kit and SID race was $2K. Very nice shaped tubes, good welds. Just thought I will give it a shout. :)

Titanium is the only suitable material for a light hardtail. Carbon can kiss my 90kg ass.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Curmy said:
Titanium is the only suitable material for a light hardtail. Carbon can kiss my 90kg ass.
I've been riding one of the new Rocky Mountain Carbon Vertex 70 bikes in back to back comparisons with my scandium Vertex Team. The carbon frame weighs 1300gms (2.86 pounds) and I'm about 88-89kg, and I have never ridden a bike that felt less fragile, or anything that responds to pedal input so well. I was convinced that I had found my bike soul mate in the scandium frame as it always felt so nice to ride compared to aluminium or steel, but this carbon frame is a terrific feeling frame, it's less tiring yet again than the scandium frame, and unbelievably stiff. It has no weight in the top half of the frame so it changes direction so easily. And this isn't even the lightest one, the carbon Vertex Team frame only weighs 1150gms. Carbon might be more real than steel :D

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
rockyuphill said:
And this isn't even the lightest one, the carbon Vertex Team frame only weighs 1150gms. Carbon might be more real than steel :D
I do not believe it. When doing some adventure races I often had to carry the bike over boulders at night - I would not trust knocking it around. Fine print from many manufacturer confirms that.

It is a fundamental problem with composites - inspecting them for damage is not easy. My titanium hardtail - if it does not have a visible crack or a dent - it is 100% OK.

Here is what Trek has to say about it.
What if I crash my carbon frame or part?
Carbon crash replacement policy

Assessing any damage done to a carbon fiber part requires more experience than is needed to inspect metal parts. If you crash or impact your bike and the force of the impact is absorbed by a carbon part, we strongly encourage you to replace the part, even if there are no indications of damage. If such a crash or impact occurs, Trek offers a crash replacement program for carbon parts, substantially reducing any replacement cost. To take advantage of this program, contact your local Authorized Trek Dealer.
I will pass.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the only thing that is holding me back is that I'm a bit old school and use a 80mm travel fork. The frame is meant for 100mm, and I believe that decreasing crown to axle length by 1" equates to about 0.8 degrees increase in Head Tube angle and Seat Tube angle? That is not to say I can't go out and buy a brand new 100mm travel front fork.

The other thing being the Canadian dollar tanking against the US Dollar. 1 CDN = .77 USD. Ouch... 3 weeks ago it was closer to 90 cents.

I want to build a 17.5 Lbs Ti hardtail.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Ok, I have ridden a Ibis Mojo for 2.5 years and it has been abused. I have taken some nasty crashes and other then some clearcoat scratches and a couple of carbon fiber gouges it is just fine. I have had a Specialized Epic Ultimate frameset (2.8lbs) for over a decade and it is still holding up, it was carbon tubes with Ti lugs.

I think that the good limit for a Ti frame is going to be around the 2.8-2.9 lb weight, just my thoughts.

FYI: As far as I know, Reynolds stopped making drawn (seamless grade) 6/4 so it is hard to come by in bike tube diameters, so unless you stocked up on it, it would be seamed. Moots wanted to use it but due to availability they went back to 3/2.5

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Cheers! said:
I guess the only thing that is holding me back is that I'm a bit old school and use a 80mm travel fork. The frame is meant for 100mm, and I believe that decreasing crown to axle length by 1" equates to about 0.8 degrees increase in Head Tube angle and Seat Tube angle? That is not to say I can't go out and buy a brand new 100mm travel front fork.

The other thing being the Canadian dollar tanking against the US Dollar. 1 CDN = .77 USD. Ouch... 3 weeks ago it was closer to 90 cents.
get a SID. awesome.

and i guess this means im going to be looking at buying some stuff from you guys in canada.:D

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Cheers! said:
I bought some stuff online last week when the exchange was 1.18 and by the time the Visa payment was processed it was 1.27. Funny how Visa took their time posting the transaction, about 3 days longer than normal. A little extra profit on their part.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hand/of/Midas said:
get a SID. awesome.

and i guess this means im going to be looking at buying some stuff from you guys in canada.:D
I was thinking about the 2009 Magura Durin MD100R-SL at 3lbs exact. Although I've been a long time fan and believer of Fox F-series forks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
probably hard to go too much lighter

than 2.85lbs

My Strong frame 14.75inch ST center to center and 22.6 inch TT length came in at 1426gms bare frame, no seat collar, no water bottle bolts. TT and DT is butted, ST has a thicker section welded on top. HT is eccentrically machined, and between BB threads are machined out. There's only 1 set of water bottle bosses. I had the option of skinnier SS and CS and I could have taken 15mm off the HT length but I like it fine as it is, it's 5 years old now!

Seven Sola Gold lists around 3.2lbs and the IMX 3.1lbs from Seven site. Another option could be a Titus Exogrid frame, not sure how light these go.

Attachments

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Strong Ti said:
Another option could be a Titus Exogrid frame, not sure how light these go.
Mine came in at 3.16 lbs in a small (17 inch seat tube 22.7 top)......Total build was 22 lbs with pedals.....a swap in wheels an lighter rubber would make it sub 21.

Attachments

·
Primative Screwhead
321 Posts
Curmy said:
I do not believe it. When doing some adventure races I often had to carry the bike over boulders at night - I would not trust knocking it around. Fine print from many manufacturer confirms that.
I guess that's a valid point, but any bike is going to suffer damage from being thrown around boulders.

I weigh 83kg and I've been trail commuting for 1 1/2 hours every day on my carbon Scale with no problems. I've also managed a bunch of xc races, a couple of marathons, and a tiny bit of training. I've had fist sized rocks break in half over the down tube whilst descending with nothing but a bit of a scuff on the clear coat. So far, I'm impressed with the resiliance of carbon :thumbsup: Stiff, light, strong. No catch so far.

Back on topic: 21 pounds seems to be the benchmark for Ti hardtails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This thread is perfect! I was actually wondering the same thing! I'll most likely be building up a light HT Ti frame in the new year (funds permitting) and this lynskey frame is def one of the lightest Ti frame's I've seen. The other frame I had in mind was a Rigormootis but at 1633gr for a 17inch, its hardly a good start at building a sub 20lb Ti rig. Keep us informed on the build! I'm really looking forward to seeing it step by step!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My mid 90s Titus HCR in a 13.5" (C-C) was listed at 2.75lbs. It has survived over a decade of east coast riding. It is not especially "noodly" either, perhaps in part due to the small size. The only place I feel is a bit flexy is at the head tube junction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts